I'm getting lots of gear for my studio. The amp I already decided, no questions there ( watch out for a NAD anyday now )

Now I have a big problem on the effects part. I know that most of You will say "GET THE AXE FX" as I did on several occasions but I'm not so sure.

I'm also looking into the G-System Limited and it sounds amazing but it does not allow full tweaking like the Axe FX ultra. But the price tag is much more attractive (specially in europe, the axe is freaking expensive here).

So I'm asking : In the studio will I miss the extra 700€ I will pay for the Axe FX?

The G-System is amazing no doubt, and the red limited comes with the 2290 delay chip which is (arguably) the best delay out there. Doesnt have OD but I wouldnt replace my amp OD for nothing. The modelling of the ultra will of course offer me a lot more options. But for a studio there is very good software (way below that price tag that can offer me that and more) AND I would need to spend more cash on a good midi pedalboard to control the Axe.

Any opinions are more than welcome. Thanks guys.
Line 6 M13

Just to throw it out there.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
There are some really smart and knowledgeable people on this board that you are going to miss because maybe they don't have or want expensive gear but have great advice. Just sayin

+1 often people who own expensive gear don't know much about their purchases or gear in general.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
Line 6 M13

Just to throw it out there.

Tried it, didnt like it. Line6 has great effects but TC electronics is way superior IMO.

And not always ppl that get expensive gear it's just because they can afford it. Some people here play professionally and have expensive gear that actually researched/tried before buying (or requesting to sponsors )
What are you going do do with these effects? Reverb? Delay? Chorus/flanging? Compression? EQ? Certain units are best for certain things, so what I recommend depends on what your application(s) are.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Dec 18, 2009,
as versatile as possible. I'll be recording everything thrown at me (but in Mozambique , so anything heavy will not be an everyday thing). But reggae, jazz, cleans, You get the point.

Reverb, delay, chorus are a must (flanger not so much). Compression of course but I'm also getting a rack compressor multichannel.
Have you tried the 11 Rack yet? seems comparable to the G-system and Axe-FX.

LINKY TO 11 RACK
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Last edited by boxcarmonument at Dec 18, 2009,
OK, if compression is not a must then we're really looking at reverb, delay and modulation. If it has to be one unit, I would go with an eventide H series. It's not the best at anything but harmonizing, but it's good at everything. The TC Electronic M3000 would be my next choice for a generalist box.

I like the lexicon PCM 9x reverbs better, but that's a dedicated reverb box.
Similarly, the 2290 is great for diigital delay, but that's about all it does (I don't like the chorus)

If you need a lower price point, let me know and I can suggest some other things.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
The G-System has the 2290 delay chip, that's one of the reasons I'm considering it, because just that delay is as expensive as the G-System.

For now it has to be one system+software but of course in a couple of months of studio work, I will get better material, even if I have to sell the current one.

Just need a good starting point (even if I get the pod xt pro rack would be one of the best pieces of gear in Mozambique )
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard
A friend I work with has a TC2290 (the older one that's indestructible) & an Axe-Fx.
I've heard numerous recordings he's done, & the Axe-Fx is absolutely amazing. The 2290 is pretty cool, but you don't need the chip from a $2500 delay to get great delay sounds. You'd need dog hearing to tell the difference between most good delays. I say get the Axe-Fx. Buy the right tool for the job, & buy it ONCE. Don't settle for teh cheapz & then wish you got the better unit. Consider it a lifetime investment .
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I would go with the Axe-FX simply for the amp modelling. You want to be able to record any type of music, but you already have you amp set you said. Why be limited to 1 amp to record everything with.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Because I already have an amazing interface that comes with pretty good modelling software. And as good as the axe fx is it can never replace the true tube sound IMO. But I'm picky :P
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard