Hey, I was wandering if i get some advice.
I've been looking to buy a new amp, and i am torn between either

Marshall MG30FX: http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/brands/Marshall/Guitar_Combos/sc1585/b1351/p189.aspx

Or

Line 6 Spider IV 30:
http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Guitar-Amplifiers-and-Speakers/Guitar-Amps,-Combos-and-Cabinets/Guitar-Combos/sc1585/p8415.aspx

Or if anyone has any other suggestions for an amp around the same price, with the same effects/features.

Any help would be appreciated
You probably suggested the 2 most hated amps on UG ahahaha

Vypyr 30?
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard
What does the MG stand for anyway? Mega Gay? Muddy Garbage?
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Wow Minion, so constructive.

Daragon, take a look at the Vypyr, Fender Super Champ (my practice amp, 16 voicings and all are pretty decent tones), Vox Valvetronix

Other than modelling amps, there are actually a few small all-tube amps at this range. Blackstar ht-5, Vox ac4, that will give better tone overall than solid-state amps.
You're shown as registered in January of 2008. How the hell are you new?
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by ConfederateAxe

I often lurk around here for advice but never had a reason to post
Id imagine it says im new because of my low post count
Quote by ConfederateAxe

Just because he joined then doesn't mean he used the forums a lot, hes had 6 forum posts... that's pretty new if you ask me

Anyways, as said previousely, you will most likely be happiest with the Vypyr.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
Vypyr rocks but I agree with glemnar. If You don't need modelling try those he suggested.
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard
also check out the roland cube 30x and vox valvetronix, in addition to the vypyr.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nothing wrong with the new MG4 series amps. I have a Roland Cube-20X, from which the Cube series have a popular following, but I like my new Marshall MG15FX way better. I don't use my Cube any more. For further comparison I used to have one of the older MG's from years ago and I didn't like it that much. This new MG is worlds apart with better tone and features. It erases the previous MG history from my memory. This is just an anti-SS Marshall forum. Watch the Marshall demo video on the new MG30FX and see what you think.
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Last edited by Yngwie#1 at Dec 18, 2009,
Quote by Yngwie#1
Nothing wrong with the new MG4 series amps. I have a Roland Cube-20X, from which the Cube series have a popular following, but I like my new Marshall MG15FX way better. I don't use my Cube any more. For further comparison I used to have one of the older MG's from years ago and I didn't like it that much. This new MG is worlds apart with better tone and features. It erases the previous MG history from my memory. This is just an anti-SS Marshall forum. Watch the Marshall demo video on the new MG30FX and see what you think.

This dude is absolutely correct. There is no reason to say anything or ask anything about Marshall solid state amps or an Line 6 amp on here. Why you may ask? They will be flamed no matter if the person ever tried any new products or not. Once someone forms one opinion on a past product, then it is all over and a bandwagon forms. So sad for some people but for other it is just proof of how most people or young people on here actually are. I've seen a lot better reviews this time around for the newer Spider and a lot better reviews for the newer Marshalls. As for the Vypyr, well I've seen more reviews citing a lot of technical problems more than any other small practice amps period. They do sound good for the money but what good is that if it is prone to a malfunction that prevents total enjoyment. These kind of things might need to be taken into consideration when this is for someone that just wants something reliable and a lot of bang for the hobby or practice buck. I mean you probably aren't going on tour with one of these little amps so I don't think one is really that much better over the other. However, a hybrid amp like a Vox Valvetronix does sound a lot better than the other to my hears but there is a reason for that. Always remember you usually, not always, get what you pay for!
Despite being cute, Mr. post above mine, they still suck.

Most of us have played them and have proved that they suck. Maybe you're right, and they aren't as bad as they used to be, but that still means nothing when you can get other much better amps for a better price (for example, the viper and the VT).

If people don't wanna be flamed for asking questions about crappy amps, they should look in the thread that's devoted to helping people choose a decent amp, it's stickied.
^^^ Well using your logic combined with mine I guess the Cube amps should suck even more because my new MG15FX sounds better than the Cube-20X that I have used ever since it came out. Of course, in reality everyone knows the Cubes do not suck at all and are very popular as an SS modeling amp. The new MG's programmable amps w/effects do not suck either, so give it up and stop the temptation to justify flaming anyone for asking questions or reading answers you don't approve of. At least I've actually owned and played both of them enough to comment about it without unfairly stereotyping with pre-concieved bias based on the old out of production generation of MG solid state amps.
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Last edited by Yngwie#1 at Dec 18, 2009,
We don't dislike MG series because it's solid state.

We dislike them because Marshall is trying to sell us an overpriced amp because of their name when we can get much better for same or lower price elsewhere from other brands.

We dislike MG series because it's like some charlattan salesman starring you at a face making you feel guilty so you part your money for less value.

So if anything, be thankful that this forum isn't full of brand loyalists but practical guitar players who judge based on quality/price ratio and not blindly following brand name.
its entirely up to the guitarist's preferances and style but i prefer flextones and vypers, super champs are pretty good but they don't have 'loads' of effects. You could buy a nice tube amp with a multi effects pedal though
Getting the most bang for the buck is a matter of perspective when looking for something you want to play. Brand name, reliability, tech support, and what your favorite professional guitarists use to get their sound are considerations too. You also get what you pay for with lower price amps. Your illogical dislike reasons are just your personal opinions and shouldn't be forced down anyone's throat. No store salesman is forcing anyone to buy Marshall or any other brand. They just want to make a sale. I went to GC with my mind already made up what I was going to buy and that's what I left the store with and I'm a happy customer. I got the MG15FX for $105 after trade-in of my older MG instead of paying $149 which wasn't a bad price to start with. I paid as much for my Roland Cube-20X which I did keep as a backup and for my kids or their friends to use. And if MG's are good enough for my guitar hero and maestro Yngwie Malmsteen to practice with backstage using the older MG15DFX or MG30DFX amps, when he also records and plays onstage with the big Marshall tube amps, then that's fine by me. I heard at NAMM 2009 he checked out the new MG series and thought they were cool.

Daragon91 - Ignore any nay sayers and either get a Cube, Line6, Vox, Vypyr, MG, or anything else that sounds good to you and matches your style of playing. It's ultimately up to you and no one else.
Last edited by Yngwie#1 at Dec 19, 2009,
I tried the MG and the the spider and i prefered the MG. This might be a bit biased as both the line 6's i tried cut out ect. while i was playing them, but the MG is perfect for practice as it plays over the drums perfectly, and produces a much better tone than the spider. the stompware footswitch is easy to navigate and reliable aswell.
Sure, there may be people slating both the amps, but i hardly need a line 6 hd 147 or a marshall jvm series right now, being 13
Quote by jamiels
I tried the MG and the the spider and i prefered the MG. This might be a bit biased as both the line 6's i tried cut out ect. while i was playing them, but the MG is perfect for practice as it plays over the drums perfectly, and produces a much better tone than the spider. the stompware footswitch is easy to navigate and reliable aswell.
Sure, there may be people slating both the amps, but i hardly need a line 6 hd 147 or a marshall jvm series right now, being 13

They aren't saying you need those amps they are saying there are better amps out there for the same price.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Super Champ XDs are great amps, a few built in effects that sound damn good.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Last edited by TimBFMV at Dec 19, 2009,
Quote by Yngwie#1

the new MG is allegedly better than the old ones. That being said, when I say roland cube, I mean the cube 30x or the microcube- the cubes 15x and 20x aren't as good, and don't have as many (or any, really) amp models. I didn't like the cube 15 I tried at all.

and i have certainly tried the (older) mgs and spiders. I resent the accusation that I haven't.

Quote by Yngwie#1

Daragon91 - Ignore any nay sayers and either get a Cube, Line6, Vox, Vypyr, MG, or anything else that sounds good to you and matches your style of playing. It's ultimately up to you and no one else.

agreed.

Quote by mattman93
They aren't saying you need those amps they are saying there are better amps out there for the same price.

agreed, that was a ridiculous example of a straw man.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?