Hi. ive been playing for 6-7 months now, and i know quite a bit of theory, and i want to get round to making my own song. I have lyrics written and have started writing the riffs. However, i think that the riffs i use (which are mainly power chords) can seem repetitive at times. My friend says that i should ignore theory, and just play whatever sounds good. What should i do?
Well your friend is wrong except for you should play what sounds good.
There's not much to be said except make it sound the way you want. If they're repetitive, change them a little beat each verse or something.
what i do is get inspired by something then write anything and see what sounds good then i decide what part it should be in the song (e.g chorus, verse) then work out some chords over it. i usually see other parts it will work well with so i just see what chords would work well as another part to the song. i know my way is ****ed up but it works well for me and i'm happy with the results. just test out different ways of writing and see which works best
alright then. thanks guys ive only been playing for 7 months though, and ive still gotta get the hang of tapping, and making my fingers more accurate (had a slow start). but i hope to get better next year, as is my new years resolution
i wouldnt worry about writing yet if i were you. just get to know the instrument and enjoy playing it and that will help so much. i've been playing for 5 years and some of the things you pick up can help so much.
Quote by dragozan
Hi. ive been playing for 6-7 months now, and i know quite a bit of theory, and i want to get round to making my own song. I have lyrics written and have started writing the riffs. However, i think that the riffs i use (which are mainly power chords) can seem repetitive at times. My friend says that i should ignore theory, and just play whatever sounds good. What should i do?

Your friend is a noob...you can't "ignore" theory, you either understand it or you don't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
My experience with song writing is that you need to get inspired twice -once for the riff, and once for the lyrics. I tend to do riffs first.

While theory is helpful, it really serves to explain why what you're doing sounds the way it does rather than to tell you what you should do. This is especially true with power chord riffs because the harmony is so sparse and the major scale so full of 5ths that nearly any two power chords any interval apart could be justified as having come from some major scale (there is one exception - left as an exercise for the reader). So your friend is sort of right - just experiment. Now, when you get into denser 3 and 4 part harmony, it becomes more important to put your theory chops to work to make it sound good.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
I find the easiest way to write a riff/song etc... Is to jam a little bit to get in the mood then this sounds silly but it works for me... But I crank out my mobile phone with the voice recorder and I hum/sing out a tune that comes into my head...

Once recorded I transpose that onto my guitar lol...

Works great for solos too... Sit at your computer or whatever and have a set rythme section on repeat and I hum/sing out a solo for it recording that... Then I transpose again to guitar lol.
Get a chord progression.
Play around over the chord progression and come up with riffs.
Hum over the chord progression repeatedly and identify a melody.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by dragozan

Pretty much the only time you want to ignore theory is when you get this evil voice in your head saying "No, you can't play that because it doesn't work because of [insert theoretical reason]" - ie. if you fall into the trap of seeing theory as a set of rules rather than a way of understanding what you are doing.

Other than that, use everything you have at your disposal.