Hey guys, from the beginning since I started playing guitar roughly a year ago, I've been using Guitar Pro to slow down songs to learn them as opposed to looking at tabs and using a metronome. My question is: is it better to use a metronome as opposed to Guitar Pro?
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Why is it better to use a metronome as opposed to just slowing the song down in Guitar Pro? With Guitar Pro, you can hear the slowed down backing track and play along with it at the slowed speed.
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
metronomes own all.

if you don't understand the importance of a metronome yet, you will eventually.

it also seems like you're extremely opposed to using a metronome outside of guitar pros. why is that?
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
I'm not opposed to it. I just don't see the difference between the two. They both slow down whatever lick you are trying to play to a comfortable tempo.
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
There is a metronome inside guitar pro. The reason some people suggest a bare metronome over guitar pro tracks though is so that you can really make sure your timing is spot-on and not have your lack of timing covered up by a bunch of instruments in the mix. That being said, practicing to nothing but the sound of a click for hours can get quite stale, so I use both personally.
I'll use Guitar Pro for complicated stuff I need to slow down, but for songs I can play over 80% speed and over, i'll use the real song (or the backing track) slowed down.
like the person above said, it makes sure that you are spot on.

it's mostly because you will be counting beats and when to play on a metronome versus hearing the beats while you play on guitar pro.

that's the biggest difference there.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
There's a difference between playing over a backing track (regardless if it's slowed down) and playing with a metronome. You should use a metronome when playing practice exercises without a backing track.....like scales, triplets, strumming rhythms, alternate picking, economy picking, sweep picking and various other exercises.....etc.
Guitar Pro is way superior. I find that I get more controle over what I'm doing there. Plus you can just about have any instrument you like there. It's more visual and easier to use, and you can manipulate song easily.

I can't even start to understand how to use PowerTab, It's just so much easier to use Guitar Pro when you're going to insert your music ideas, making transcriptions, learning songs. You can listen to each instrument part, mute out those you don't want to listen to. There's just so much you can do.

But then again I'm a PT noob so maby my oppinion doesn't count as much as for instance from someone who knows how to use both.

But I like Guitar Pro way better :