Anyone else play in a church/worship band? If so what kind of stuff do you play?

My band is heavily covers of Chris Tomlin, David Crowder, Third Day. Occasionally we do originals but not very often.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
I play guitar in one.
It's more of a Hillsong United feel but I don't pick the songs.
I have no sig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm a fan of Chris tomlin, I have a real clean voice like him and I like a lot of his songs. I play guitar, sing, and occasionally fill in for drums. I like a lot of Phil Wickham and John Mark McMillan, too.
I play Guitar and Bass in our church's worship band. We do alot of Tomlin, Crowder, Delerious?, Hillsong, Matt Redman, etc. We do some surprisingly technical stuff from time to time.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
i worship john lennon and kurt cobain

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
We did some Hillsong United and a lot of the stuff you said. I throw in some stuff like Shane & Shane on the rare occasion I play solo. If I had more say in the songs We would have done some more stuff like Desperation Band. Seemed like most of the songs we did were slow simple stuff.

Also I don't believe the Pit is the right place for this thread.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Dec 18, 2009,
Quote by ext1jdh
Anyone else play in a church/worship band? If so what kind of stuff do you play?

My band is heavily covers of Chris Tomlin, David Crowder, Third Day. Occasionally we do originals but not very often.

I used to play guitar in a church worship band at my old church, though I haven't for a couple years. We actually played some pretty cool sounding stuff, it was pretty fun.

I'm not sure you will get many serious answers posting this in the pit though
i play guitar in a youth church worship band. we play hillsong united mainly but we have a couple originals
Quote by speedy1330
i worship john lennon and kurt cobain

Way to be original.
chris tomlin ftw
stuff. :
PRS SE Singlecut
Peavey Triple XXX Super 40 Combo - for sale? considering selling it.
VOX Tonelab LE
Old stuff:
Ibanez GRG270CA (for sale)
Amteq LG15 (for sale)
Zoom G1 (for sale)
Yeah, i'm actually the leader for the youth band. I also play for the actual service.
Youth we mainly play hillsong, united and planetshakers
Actual service is yeh all of what everyone else has said.
Yep, I play electric and trade off lead vocals with another guy for my youth band. Well, except I'll probably be pure lead soon since he doesn't seem to care much about it.

We do your typical worship songs, Hillsong, nothing special really. Well, except for the worship band resource stuff we occasionally use. We got a pretty cool pop/punk woship song off of one of those. Ideally, we'll also start covering some more "mainstream" band stuff, like Relient K and Switchfoot for example. Once I'm better at guitar I want to try some Lincoln Brewster stuff too.

Honestly I've been dying to play Be My Escape in church since I heard it.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I occasionally help out and play guitar for my youth group. I love playing Kutless, Phil Wickham, and Daavid Crowder. They're all very good bands and they're easy to play!
I played in one for awhile but then I quit when they tried to make me participate in the religious part of it. I'm not religious.

I never knew the names of the bands we covered, only the names of the songs. It was all really simple melodies and chord progressions with lyrics over top of it. I would show up about an hour before we went on with no knowledge of what we were playing and I could have it completely down by the time everyone arrived for the show. Like I said, really simple stuff.

I just did it for the musical experience; we haven o music scene around here so the youth group band was really the most "happenin'" thing I could find.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Time Seller
Uh oh, rebel in the house!

I worship the Janjaweed.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
i worship jimmy page. im serious. i will lick his shoes clean if he asked me too.
Quote by Riffofthebeast
i just got a great idea! i think i might want to set up a blog somewhere because i have a lot of great ideas to share. would you guys read it if i did?
trolling the pit since Aug 09^
I played for my churche's youth band for a while. Then I became an atheist.

It was pretty fun though. I think it definitely helped me improve as a performer.
Quote by ext1jdh

Yo, I've played on probably 3 different worship teams. so a pretty diverse group. one was the same stuff as you. very contemporary boring stuff. the other was nothing but hillsong. I hate hillsong with a passion. nothing but a U2 ripoff. and I hate U2

the one I'm playing on now is a little more rock oriented and most of what we play are originals
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I'm the fill-in-bassist at my church. I'm supposed to play tomorrow, but thanks to two feet of snow, I don't think I have to, which is good, because I really didn't want to. I didn't know any of the songs and would have to skip Sunday school to go to the practice so I could get the songs down.

Click here if you want to see a short video of me playing at our Christmas program. I'm the guy with the headphones in front of the drummer and next to the choir.
Quote by IcePh0enix
I played for my churche's youth band for a while. Then I became an atheist.

It was pretty fun though. I think it definitely helped me improve as a performer.

same

exept i got kicked out after i performed raining blood on my new jackson during warmup.

i think some girl fainted.

aint being an atheist freeing. *takes breath* ahhhhhhhhhh
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
I play in the praise band and the youth band at my church.

They both have pretty distinct repertoires but the music mostly comes from Hillsong. The occasional Chris Tomlin or Lincoln Brewster song, plus quite a few others come in here and there.

I really wish we could do some dc Talk or something along those lines, but we're more of a "praise songs" oriented band.

We have some insane musicians in that praise band though. We could really play some sick music, so it's kind of a shame we don't. Well, our guitarist gets to shine here and there with stuff like Lincoln Brewster.

Forgot to mention: I play bass for both, and sing for the youth band. I'm probably going to start playing guitar instead of bass for the youth though, since we're getting another bassist joining the group soon.

Quote by Alex Vik
I'm the fill-in-bassist at my church. I'm supposed to play tomorrow, but thanks to two feet of snow, I don't think I have to, which is good, because I really didn't want to. I didn't know any of the songs and would have to skip Sunday school to go to the practice so I could get the songs down.

Click here if you want to see a short video of me playing at our Christmas program. I'm the guy with the headphones in front of the drummer and next to the choir.
Hey man, we did that song in our Christmas show. I wish I had videos from it, it was an awesome show. Most of the music was TSO type stuff, it was really fun.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Feb 6, 2010,
I don't, personally, but one of the main reason I started playing is because the dude from my church plays some sick guitar solo's sometimes, like, tapping stuff, and really bluesy sort of stuff with loads of teh emoshunz, and I thought "Huh, I really want to be able to do that."
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Feb 6, 2010,
I love watching videos on youtube of worship bands. Some of the best musicians are coming out of the gospel scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_KuD0AjWdE
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
I play in both my school and church choirs. In my school's we often play praise and worship like "Trading My Sorrows" and "We Are One Body". There's a praise band that one of the ex-teachers at my school is a part of. They do a pretty sick version of "Awesome God".
Quote by brandon369852
lolworthy- classicrockboy WIN of thread.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera
Check out my songs for it

Currently e-single. Hit me up ladies
Last edited by classicrockboy at Feb 7, 2010,
Quote by Alex Vik

Dude, this is me. Except without the snow. I gotta be up in like 5 hours to play bass, because the normal dude is working.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by food1010
Hey man, we did that song in our Christmas show. I wish I had videos from it, it was an awesome show. Most of the music was TSO type stuff, it was really fun.

My church did a TSO song, with backing video and stobe lights, it was wicked!

Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK8s4mBn-x4

(It's bad quality, btw)
Airship is liek teh best giitar playr evr!!111!1!

Quote by solidgay
Don't use distortion pedals. Just bury your guitar for three weeks, and then dig it up, that should do the job.

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!
Last edited by black007hawk2 at Feb 7, 2010,
I played in worship band once, we mostly played Gorgoroth covers, and for some reason no church wanted to hire us.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm