Right now I am using .010 - .046 strings, standard tune. I still feel like the low E is kind of floppy for any kind of fast low E chugging. I was thinking about swapping them for a .010 - .052 set.

Is this unheard of in standard tune? If I am not mistaken, this is what Mustaine uses.

With a bolt on Wizard II neck, do I need to worry about the added tension? What if I just moved right up to 11's... Any need to worry?

Thanks
Id say try a set of 11's, skinny top & heavy bottom, but saying that, I play in D standard with gauge 12 Skinny top & heavy bottoms and they work just fine

You may need minor truss rod adjustments, thats about it
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
i jss recently tried moving to 11's in standard and i still think the low E is floppy. go to the top/heavy strings. easier to solo and the bottom end is rediculous
this signature has my gear in it. nothing more, nothing less

Gear
Ibanez S770PB
Jackson Rhoads
Custom Strat
Agile Al 3100
Rainbow Music Shop Custom Les Paul
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Spider III
It's a fixed bridge and I am quite competent with my hands, should be a piece of cake, perhaps minor truss/action/intonation adjustments, no big deal. I'm more worried about the neck, but I guess it's not a whole lot more tension than the factory 10 - 46.
I'm personally not a fan of the light top/heavy bottom set. It's not particularly noticable when you're playing single note riffs and licks, but when you start playing open chords and barre chords, the light trebles and heavy bass don't mesh too well. But that's just my opinion.
Quote by Awfulplayer
I'm personally not a fan of the light top/heavy bottom set. It's not particularly noticable when you're playing single note riffs and licks, but when you start playing open chords and barre chords, the light trebles and heavy bass don't mesh too well. But that's just my opinion.

I actually find my guitar (or pickups, or whatever) to be a little bit trebly right now, so this may work out.

However, I do see D'addario makes a 10.5 - 48 set. Maybe I should try those before I make a full jump to the 52 low E string. DR also makes a 10 - 50 set, which uses not much heavier D and A strings, but the E is a lot bigger... That could be perfect. Never tried DR, I guess it's time .
Last edited by potatohead_33 at Dec 18, 2009,
Alright, toady I re-strung with D'addario 10 - 52 ST/HB. Tension feels much nicer. I am however getting more fret buzz than before, not sure if it's just the new strings or what.

I checked the neck relief, without any time to settle, it's at .32 mm. Ibanez specs are .3 - .5 mm, so we're good, and if it moves, it should bow more to get more in the mid range of the spec. I adjusted the action to 2.2 mm wound strings, 1.8 treble strings, which is within .1 mm of Ibanez specs. I raised it a bit to see if it would help the buzz, but it didn't.

Is it normal for new strings to buzz? I don't recall my Ernie Ball 10 - 46 buzzing this much, I only put those on about three weeks ago. Maybe I'm just not pushing hard enough with the higher tension.
I prefer Power Slinkys for E myself, but just so you know Mustaine uses GHS Boomers.
Last edited by TheOpenMind at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by potatohead_33
Is this unheard of in standard tune?

No. I play .010-.052 in E Standard.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by TheOpenMind
I prefer Power Slinkys for E myself, but just so you know Mustaine uses GHS Boomers.

Actually he uses GHS Progressives, at least that is what his signature set is. What I really meant was that he uses 10 - 52, although the GHS set does have a 44 A string, the Ernie Ball and D'addario have a 42.

I spent a good two hours tonight resetting everything up. I don't know why, but I did not have enough neck relief which I think was a big source of my fret buzz problem. It seems to me that a string set with more tension would cause more bow, so I am not sure what happened, maybe it was way too low from the factory. Anyway, I adjusted the truss rod to get it from .28 mm to .38 fretted at 1 and 15 and measuring on 8. I set the action to about a medium height and this all seems to have helped. It was buzzing a lot before and driving me nuts.

My dilemma now is the D'addarios dont feel as nice to me as the Ernie Balls, and they do seem to buzz more, but they are rock solid at holding tune and they stretch out in two minutes. The Ernies I have tried before seem to take a while to stretch fully, which is annoying. Maybe I'll try GHS or DR next.
Last edited by potatohead_33 at Dec 21, 2009,