just thought i'd share this with you guys.

note: not everything is 100% true. No one knows for sure how much of it is hyped-up/ exaggerated but if there are protests and a considerable group of people complaining, i'm guessing the factory really does mistreat its workers. but it's not slavery don't start using the word "slavery" every time you think of asian countries.

raised (contested) fact: the chairman closed the company after increased dissatisfaction among workers. he claimed 'brankruptcy', and without compenstating the employees, made off with ten billion won. (approximately 7,796,131.87 US Dollars)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LpB1E4EE7k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pbKvESThn0
That's capitalism for you.

I won't call it slavery, just like it's not rape if you tie a hooker up and let 5 of your buddies hit it after you're done and paid.

Oh wait... yes it is.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Working conditions for 3rd world countries are pretty much similar to this for every major company, regardless of what they produce. It's not like just Cort has these kinds of issues.
Actually, part of that at fault is due to the South Korean work culture.

I know someone working in a major South Korean MNC in Singapore. He tells me of:

1. Discrimination if you are not South-Korean. There is a glass ceiling for promotions.
2. Absurd working working hours. I know he has been forced to work 16 hour days for 16 - 20 day straight, without compensation. Including weekends.

amoung a few other things, and this is in Singapore. I really doesn't surprise me that if you are among the lower paid in South Korea, this happens.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
This is why I don't buy chinese/korean gear anymore

EDIT: also because these poor guys probably don't know how to make a good guitar
Last edited by ghiyath at Dec 18, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
Actually, part of that at fault is due to the South Korean work culture.

I know someone working in a major South Korean MNC in Singapore. He tells me of:

1. Discrimination if you are not South-Korean. There is a glass ceiling for promotions.
2. Absurd working working hours. I know he has been forced to work 16 hour days for 16 - 20 day straight, without compensation. Including weekends.

amoung a few other things, and this is in Singapore. I really doesn't surprise me that if you are among the lower paid in South Korea, this happens.

true. both the japanese and south-koreans are very... (i'm not sure which word to use but) patriotic?

they love their country. they love their culture. so much so they try very hard to defend it from the erosion that takes place with modern world processes such as immigration, inter-racial marriages.

in short: Most Koreans and Japanese do not like immigrants.
thats insane... i'll never own a Cort product now, thats for sure. i know this happens with other companies, and the only thing i can do as a consumer is take my business elsewhere. that's really really unfortunate.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Working conditions like this arent at all surprising. A place like china labor is unimaginably cheap. And unemployment is 30% so if YOU wont work for peanuts there is a line of people outside who will. I have spent quite a bit of time in china and korea. The conditions in factories there are really bad. They are really bad about not paying wages then passing a bribe to the local communist party boss who sends a few thugs out to teach you a lesson about bitching about it. Plus if to many worker complaints make it to bejing they might fire the local party boss so its in his best interest to keep people quiet.

I remember in korea a father would have his daughters walk in front of the cow and plow just in case there was any unexploded ordinance left over from the war. A daughter is easily replaceable a cow isnt.

And in china I watched a crew of people paint the lines on miles of highway with paint brushes. Why buy one of those expensive spray trucks we use here when you can hire 10 people for pennies and hand em a brush and a bucket of paint.