Hello.

I was planing on buying a new amp and i am pratically sure that i'll save up to get either a used JCM 900 SL-X or a JVM 205H.

(not the normal jcm900, the SL-X one has no diode on it and it has one extra tube stage which makes it enough gain for thrash metal)

But i also need a footswitchable clean channel. The JCM900 SL-X's gain knob is shared by both channels -.---

Is it possible to get a mod to add seperate gain knobs for each channel?
Volume knob. Just keep the neck volume down low enough the signal doesn't clip, or barely clips.

Failing that, keeping an EQ pedal with the volume dropped way down in front of the amp and turning it on for cleans would work too.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
Volume knob. Just keep the neck volume down low enough the signal doesn't clip, or barely clips.

Failing that, keeping an EQ pedal with the volume dropped way down in front of the amp and turning it on for cleans would work too.

I thought about that volume knob but i dont think it'l clean up cuz of the huge gain i'll have. I want to play thrash but with some lighter parts , you know metallica/megadeth style gain.

But i didnt really thought of that eq pedal idea. And that wud also give me some kind of seperate EQ for the cleans (yes i kno the EQ is cumulative but still...)

Would the clean tone be any good if i do that?
Quote by NateCordova
I thought about that volume knob but i dont think it'l clean up cuz of the huge gain i'll have. I want to play thrash but with some lighter parts , you know metallica/megadeth style gain.

But i didnt really thought of that eq pedal idea. And that wud also give me some kind of seperate EQ for the cleans (yes i kno the EQ is cumulative but still...)

no ideas?
Turn the gain down on the amp a bit and use an OD to boost it. Turn the OD off and roll down your guitar volume when you want cleans?

It's possible you could add another preamp gain control to one of the channels but I'm not sure what it would involve.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
isn't the SL-x a single channel amp?
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by SquierLolz
isn't the SL-x a single channel amp?

?? hmmm i've seen otherwise that it wasnt. Unless there are two difrent sl-x models ???

The other channel didnt had a seperate EQ ,just a difrent volume .
Quote by NateCordova

I play stuff like Saetia with just the volume knob, and Saetia has more contrast between their most distorted parts and their most clean parts then thrash metal bands have.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
there's no seperate eq's on the SL-X

it's a one channel amp, It also lacks a channel selector, so it IS one channel
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by NateCordova
?? hmmm i've seen otherwise that it wasnt. Unless there are two difrent sl-x models ???

The other channel didnt had a seperate EQ ,just a difrent volume .

The second volume is just a louder channel.

If you find a decent mod let me know

The way I run mine is to run it clean and then boost from there but I use far less gain than you'll be needing. It responds well to pedals though.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

well ... if the clean tone by reducing ur volume is good on the jcm 900 i'll probably get it.

Cuz i only use the bridge pickup for the heavy parts, i am a rythim guitar player so i dont really use the neck pickup unless for cleans. I could set the neck pickup volume really low and the bridge really high.

I sure hopes it cleans up. altho i have no way to test it :|

What would work better to clean up and sound better, a EQ pedal on the loop with the volume down or the guitar volume down?
Last edited by NateCordova at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by NateCordova
well ... if the clean tone by reducing ur volume is good on the jcm 900 i'll probably get it.

Cuz i only use the bridge pickup for the heavy parts, i am a rythim guitar player so i dont really use the neck pickup unless for cleans. I could set the neck pickup volume really low and the bridge really high.

I sure hopes it cleans up. altho i have no way to test it :|

What would work better to clean up and sound better, a EQ pedal on the loop with the volume down or the guitar volume down?

no ideas?

Im looking for a decent low gain clean. For fingerstyle and "arpegiated" chords
Last edited by NateCordova at Dec 20, 2009,
for what your doing youd most likely be adding another gain section with less gain, doing this to old marshall amps always almost ends up with the tone of the amp becoming horrible, well thats what ive read from matt bruck and that guy would know, but you could look into some other mod companies like voodo or egnater and see if theyve come up with an answer
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210