Page 1 of 2
what do you guys think of them? they draw pretty heavy influence from early punk, so i'm curious what you guys think.
The Strokes? One of the greatest bands out there, first 2 albums were awesome, third one was just okay. But they're an incredible band and really original too. I was just listening to them.
They're good, I've seen them live.

Well, I say I've seen them, but I missed half of it 'cause we were all checking that my friend who'd got punched in the face was alright >_>

Until Reptilia came on. We all just looked at each other and left her there.

We're nice people >_>
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Popular shit that all the indie kids liked. More about the image than the music. And to top it off, a bunch of rich kids from a swiss boarding school.

Not cool. Some good songs though.

Has anyone heard any of Albert Hammond Jr's solo stuff? Utter rubbish.
Not too bad. They wear the Powerpop influence on their sleeve but when it all comes down to it, I'd rather just listen to real Powerpop.
Only 2 were from a swiss bording school. They're rich kids from new york yeah, but whats wrong with being rich?

"Is this It" just topped NME's list of greatest albums of the decade, and came 2nd on Rolling Stone's. Obviously they did something right.
Last edited by metallicaPOOS at Dec 19, 2009,
They write some pretty good songs but I have mixed feelings for them. Their drummer sucks which makes them a bit dull at points. And none of them seem to strike me as interesting enough as individuals, which is a lame criteria my mind seems to create.

In any case, I think they're pretty good and enjoy them from time to time.
DOWN&OUT
Pretty good pop band tbh. Hate alot of their fans, but dont inspire the same amount of twattery as other bands (it's normally twatty fans of the twatty bands that got into The Strokes later by association)
reptilia was one of the earlier songs i leanred i like there stuff but i cant really get into idk why ;/
Quote by metallicaPOOS
Only 2 were from a swiss bording school. They're rich kids from new york yeah, but whats wrong with being rich?

Rich people aren't worth sh*t. They were just fortunate to be born into money. That has a catastrophic impact on your life. That gives you a head start that you don't deserve, a start that most people do not get. That's what's wrong with being rich.

If you start with nothing and get somewhere through the exploitation of others, then I can almost feel some 'good for you' vibe, were it not for the fact that when people become rich they generally become even more avaricious and paranoid, as if those human traits weren't inherently strong enough.

Obviously they did something right.

Do you honestly for one second think that 'Is this it', a record by a major label band with a manager and external producer reflects the skill of the group?

I can assure you that were they not rich brats with finance, connections and weight to throw around, their works would be entirely more lacklustre.
Maybe not, but as it stands, it is a good record. So, who gives a ****?

Rich people putting their money into making good music (subjective obviously) is an investment I applaud. It doesn't rank high in "Reasons to be wary of the rich" for me.
They're an excellent band. My opinion on their albums seems to be somewhat at odds with most people though. I think Is This It is their weakest album. My reasons being that Room on Fire was songwriting genius and whilst First Impressions was weaker on that front, it was very riff heavy and that satisfied me quite a lot at the time.

As for being rich Swiss kids...so? Are you only allowed to make music if you learned to play violin to get out of dealing drugs in the ghetto?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rich people aren't worth sh*t. They were just fortunate to be born into money. That has a catastrophic impact on your life. That gives you a head start that you don't deserve, a start that most people do not get. That's what's wrong with being rich.

If you start with nothing and get somewhere through the exploitation of others, then I can almost feel some 'good for you' vibe, were it not for the fact that when people become rich they generally become even more avaricious and paranoid, as if those human traits weren't inherently strong enough.

Do you honestly for one second think that 'Is this it', a record by a major label band with a manager and external producer reflects the skill of the group?

I can assure you that were they not rich brats with finance, connections and weight to throw around, their works would be entirely more lacklustre.

Why so angry, Brian? I mean first off, you can't fault someone for being born into money, that's just illogical. It's like "damn those people living in poverty, why don't they do something with their lives?"
Would you rather someone born into a well-off family never did anything ever and just coasted on riches? Cause that to me is kind of pathetic. I'd rather they try to do something with themselves, and yeah, maybe they have a head start, but that's just the way life works. I can tell you if my dad's best friend was Richard Branson I should as hell would milk that connect.

And I do this a record by a major label band with a manager (almost wrote manger, haha) and producer can reflect the skill of the group (can being the operative word). I mean, most of my favorite bands had / have producers and managers. I mean, look at Linkin Park: they have a major label, etc. but they still sound like hell.

I don't mean to be overly critical, Brian, just wondering where you're coming from.
DOWN&OUT
I think the strokes are one of the most decent rock band for now. sth different of al that screamy, heavy over-driven crap that most people now think it's rock. All members of the strokes are definitely well talented people. They all have creative solo projects that I really like, and if you would be a bit into them, you would know that fame is not their goal.

The strokes are ok. They have their own sound, and that's what music is about. Doing sth new.
Meh, boring ****in indie garbage if you ask me.

Libertines, The Vines and Arctic Monkey's are the winners in the whole 2000's neo genre indie-garage thing if you ask me.

but then again, they all have/had drug and/or mental illness issues so that kinda makes sense.

Edit: yeah drummer really just kills it...

Double Edit: yeah haven't checked out Is this it? probably should before I judge more based off mtv/vh1/what goober kids at school show me.
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Last edited by Mav-16 at Jan 24, 2010,
Quote by Jett Diamond
Why so angry, Brian? I mean first off, you can't fault someone for being born into money, that's just illogical. It's like "damn those people living in poverty, why don't they do something with their lives?"
Would you rather someone born into a well-off family never did anything ever and just coasted on riches? Cause that to me is kind of pathetic. I'd rather they try to do something with themselves, and yeah, maybe they have a head start, but that's just the way life works. I can tell you if my dad's best friend was Richard Branson I should as hell would milk that connect.

And I do this a record by a major label band with a manager (almost wrote manger, haha) and producer can reflect the skill of the group (can being the operative word). I mean, most of my favorite bands had / have producers and managers. I mean, look at Linkin Park: they have a major label, etc. but they still sound like hell.

I don't mean to be overly critical, Brian, just wondering where you're coming from.
Shut up.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
A Strokes thread is still open in the punk forum.

The David Bowie thread didn't get closed. Or the Captain Beefheart thread. This is more of a "let's discuss this band's indirect relationship to punk" thread than a "let's talk about this punk band" thread. It doesn't bother me.
Quote by werty22
The David Bowie thread didn't get closed. Or the Captain Beefheart thread. This is more of a "let's discuss this band's indirect relationship to punk" thread than a "let's talk about this punk band" thread. It doesn't bother me.

+1

good point.

hell it's a Punk/Ska forum...

and the only reason why ska is here is because of it's indirect/direct relationship to punk.

so why not the other guys right?
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Rofl this forums nuts anyway i can post a thread on the skatalites (great band) but not one on black flag?! (cause thats hardcore) So why don't you ring Legs McNeil and ask him if the strokes are at all punk hell maybe we could do a doco on it. seriously though i don't think i'd accuse the strokes of being fake and i think they have great merits i just like my punk juvenile and loud.
Yeah, The Strokes aren't punk. Definitely Alternative. Why is this thread here?
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Quote by werty22
"Definitely alternative?" Shut up.

What's the problem with saying that?
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Alternative is a retarded description of music. And the Strokes don't fit any of the countless retarded definitions of it.
the strokes are a good ****ing band but theyre definantly indie and i don't really see and punk influence. there really isn't any thing punk about it except for one song that yells about cops and the on purpose bad recording quality.

and yea they're rich douchebags. but that's just bad parenting. their mommys and daddys shouldve burned all their money and moved into a dirty squat and shit in the bathtub while raising them.

speaking of which anyone actually sleep in a real squat? god theyre gross........
Well they have punk ideals. Back in the Is This It era especially. They would never record anything they couldn't reproduce live. Almost no overdubs on Is This it. And they wouldn't put makeup and stuff on for photoshoots. Small stuff like that. And there is a bit of a Ramones sound to them, and they sound very protopunk.
Page 1 of 2