First question: I want to get an interface for my computer to plug a microphone in. I don't need it for anything else, no extra channels or anything, just the one. Any suggestions on an interface for a microphone? (and a small extra question - do interfaces just plug into your USB or mic port?)

Second question: What type of mic should I get, the regular kind that pics up whatever is right near it, or the kind that picks up anything in the room? (condenser I think it is?).

I will be only using this to record guitar, putting the mic to my amp, that's all, no singing or anything else.
1: I'd recommend the M-Audio Fast Track (Preferably the new edition, with +48v phantom power, incase you do ever decide to record vocals or acoustic guitar with a condenser mic). Interfaces usually connect to your computer via a USB or Firewire port.

2. If it's exclusively for electric guitar, I'd suggest the Shure SM57, which is considered by most to be the industry standard, but isn't particularly expensive compared to some microphones.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Sticky at the top of the form, called Audio Engineers Productions: how to make your recording better, read it, then post questions, please, for our sanity of having to answer these same question a thousand times when theres 5 stickys at the top of the form that explain everything.

Not trying to sound like a jerk, it just gets old, ya know.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Sticky at the top of the form, called Audio Engineers Productions: how to make your recording better, read it, then post questions, please, for our sanity of having to answer these same question a thousand times when theres 5 stickys at the top of the form that explain everything.

Not trying to sound like a jerk, it just gets old, ya know.

might as well get used to it - the same friggin' questions are asked everyday about 30 times... "What Interface do ya'll recommend" - "What Software do I need" - yada yada - stickies ain't helpin either...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!