Hello, ive been playing guitar for a while and i've got a question about alt picking.
I've been practicing solos and learning whole songs since the day i picked guitar and i know little about theory or techniques. I've got down some tremolo picking, still mess up the strings position from time to time. Im using down picking all the time.
Is it a good idea to learn alt picking and use it on everything from now on? Will it improve my accuracy / speed?
Thanks
Quote by Axel1933
Hello, ive been playing guitar for a while and i've got a question about alt picking.
I've been practicing solos and learning whole songs since the day i picked guitar and i know little about theory or techniques. I've got down some tremolo picking, still mess up the strings position from time to time. Im using down picking all the time.
Is it a good idea to learn alt picking and use it on everything from now on? Will it improve my accuracy / speed?
Thanks

Pretty much yes, obviously there will be certain situations you won't want to alternate pick in (such as 1 note per string things which you'd likely sweep) but for the most part alternate picking is the way to go. Make sure you're using strict alternate picking though, a downstroke always follows an upstroke and vice versa, this includes string changes.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
agreed with Aleksi, but after awhile it'll become second nature and you'll never even think about it unless you come across a tough passage that you need to focus on the picking.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
one thing i did (which may be boring) is just run through scales.
do the A pentatonic scale for a couple minutes straight or something. practice pull off licks... etc...

ex:

E|---------------------|-8p5-8p5-8p5-|------------|11-11p10p8-11-11p10-8
B|15p12--15p12--15p12--|----7---7----|8p7p5-8p7p5-|-------------------
G|-----14-----14-----14|-------------|-----7-----7|-------------------
D|---------------------|-------------|------------|-------------------
A|---------------------|-------------|------------|-------------------
E|---------------------|-------------|------------|-------------------
Thanks a lot.
Im more of a blues player , playing Guns n Roses and not so fast stuff but anyways i'll start trying out alt picking from now on.
Guys , another question
do i alt pick everything ? for example when im playing chords string by string do i need to alt pick?
Also do i need to tilt the pick a lot or no

Thanks
Quote by Axel1933
Guys , another question
do i alt pick everything ? for example when im playing chords string by string do i need to alt pick?
Also do i need to tilt the pick a lot or no

Thanks

You mean arpeggios? Like:
E||------------------15-19-15---------------------
B||-------------17--------------17-----------------
G||---------16----------------------16-------------
D||-----17-------------------------------17-------
A||--19---------------------------------------19-
E||----------------------------------------------------
If so, then no, you CAN alternate pick it but you'd usually sweep it.

As for the picking angles, that's up to you, experiment with what sounds good.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.