i listen to music and there is no way in HELL i could ever figure anything out by listening to it.
that's just me
even if i have a guitar IN MY HAND AND PLUGGED IN
i can't "hear" wtf is going on, on the record

i guess i've "played" guitar for quite a while, but never really took it to the next level.
i've un-learned more songs than i can even remember
i've actually recorded double guitar tracks once a LONG time ago, and i heard it used in a movie i saw once.
it was very "unique" compositions. i still have the master on cassette

back to my original point. i'm trying to learn Good Times, Bad Times by zepellin and i have to use tabs.
is it ok to learn songs by reading tabs, and putting it to the music?
Quote by sfischer61uz
yes its ok. practice makes perfect

Actually, perfect practice makes perfect.
It's a muscle memory thing..........it has to do with how you learn any physical skill. You can hard wire mistakes if you don't practice properly.
Quote by sethp
i listen to music and there is no way in HELL i could ever figure anything out by listening to it.
that's just me
even if i have a guitar IN MY HAND AND PLUGGED IN
i can't "hear" wtf is going on, on the record

i guess i've "played" guitar for quite a while, but never really took it to the next level.
i've un-learned more songs than i can even remember
i've actually recorded double guitar tracks once a LONG time ago, and i heard it used in a movie i saw once.
it was very "unique" compositions. i still have the master on cassette

back to my original point. i'm trying to learn Good Times, Bad Times by zepellin and i have to use tabs.
is it ok to learn songs by reading tabs, and putting it to the music?

Do it however you want. There are no rules. I don't use tabs or anyone elses lessons, and pretty much can figure what I want to by ear (except for my perfectionistic determination to transcribe Lee Ritenour's harmonized Strawberry Letter 23 solo (both parts), for instance, sometimes things do throw my ear for a bit). It came as a byproduct of learning to transcribe. I didn't try to develop it, it just happened all its own. I find, though that the less I use that skill, the worse it gets (rusty)!
if i want to learn how to play a song, i'll listen to it and try and transcribe it myself using my ear. If I find that I'm unable to do it this way, I'll search youtube for someone who's covering the song that has a 5 star rating and I'll look at where their fingers are on the neck. If I STILL can't figure it out by now I consult internet TABS. If I'm still having difficulty, I'll youtube a 'how-to' tutorial. If one doesn't exist, then I put the song off for a few months until my ear develops further. Then I recommence at square 1
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
Quote by Afterhours
Actually, perfect practice makes perfect.
It's a muscle memory thing..........it has to do with how you learn any physical skill. You can hard wire mistakes if you don't practice properly.

no doubt. i know this very well.
thanks
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Have you watched any videos on how to play the songs?

yes, i have some vids from youtube as well as tabs.

i'm trying to learn Good Times Bad Times and i can get the chording down, and the main riff from reading the tabs and watching the video lessons.

the problem comes when i try to hit the solo
i can get all the notes,
but the damn phrasing is confounding me. i cant get the freakin' phrasing to save my life
Quote by sethp
yes, i have some vids from youtube as well as tabs.

i'm trying to learn Good Times Bad Times and i can get the chording down, and the main riff from reading the tabs and watching the video lessons.

the problem comes when i try to hit the solo
i can get all the notes,
but the damn phrasing is confounding me. i cant get the freakin' phrasing to save my life

As I recall the beginning solo is in sequential triplets in 16ths - if you know how to play triplets, and scale sequences, I believe its just a minor pent descending in 3's? I haven't heard that song in years, so I could be off with my memory.

One other way of phrasing is to sing along with it "scat style" to get a feel how the beat falls and what notes receive accents...then slow it down groove wise and feel the internal beat at a slower speed.
Quote by Sean0913
As I recall the beginning solo is in sequential triplets in 16ths - if you know how to play triplets, and scale sequences, I believe its just a minor pent descending in 3's? I haven't heard that song in years, so I could be off with my memory.

One other way of phrasing is to sing along with it "scat style" to get a feel how the beat falls and what notes receive accents...then slow it down groove wise and feel the internal beat at a slower speed.

this video lesson doesn't have the solo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzFYNBl2K9E

this one isn't really a lesson, but he does a damn good job at showing what's going on... but i can't figure out what the hell is going on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzFYNBl2K9E

i even have the tabs open at the same time

i can download these vids to my hard drive. is there a way to slow down the video and keep the original pitch? i'd really like to slow down this video
Last edited by sethp at Dec 19, 2009,