At the moment I just practice in my living room with my Strat and SS Amp (see sig for my equipment) but I get noise from my single coil pickups in the 1-3-5 switch positions. I've been living with it using switch positions 2-4 instead which give the effect of a humbucker pickup but I want to enjoy a Strat's single coil tonal quality. So I'm thinking about getting a Boss NS-2 which should fix that. I also have a noisey DOD "Yngwie Malmsteen" YJM308 overdrive pedal (based on the old grey DOD 250) that I'd like to use, not so much to overdrive my SS amp but rather for a bit of tonal coloring if you know what I mean in order to emulate Yngwie's general tone.

I want to know which is better to do, plug straight thru the NS2 or use the NS2 effects loop for the overdrive pedal and what are the pros and cons of each way?
  • Strat -> YJM308 -> NS-2 -> Amp
  • Strat -> NS-2 -> YJM308 (thru NS-2 effects loop) -> NS-2 -> Amp

Also, I have a Boss PSA-120T power supply from a DS-1 distortion pedal that I have. I believe the recommended power supply for the NS-2 is a PSA-120S. Will the 120T still work with the NS-2 since it's a Boss pedal power supply?

Thanks...
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Last edited by Yngwie#1 at Dec 18, 2009,
I realise this is going to be what everyone else says, but seriously, get a new amp. You're not going to get a Yngwie tone from a shitty little MG.
Quote by BGSM
I realise this is going to be what everyone else says, but seriously, get a new amp. You're not going to get a Yngwie tone from a shitty little MG.

^^^

No one likes to hear this... But it's true. I'd recommend saving your money, keep on practising....

And when your funds are right - Get another amp.

Having said this - It's not like there is anything wrong with you amp, but there isn't much of a point in purchasing special equipment to go with an amp used for bedroom practise.
Exactly. The smaller MGs make decent practice amps, it's just that spending money on effects wont make it sounds much better, if at all. It's like getting a 92 Toyota Carolla and polishing the ports on the engine or whatever - it's still a junky car, it's not going to make any difference.
What is with this UG forum and non-stop MG bashing? Maybe I should inject myself into your other threads and bash the brands you use but you wouldn't like that. Sometimes I wonder if you are getting kickbacks from Marshall competitors. I find that this MG or even general Marshall bias is different than any other guitar related forum that I'm on. Forget what amp I'm using. It works fine for my price range and needs. You are going way off topic in my opinion because that was not my question. I'm not ashamed of owning one of the new MG4 series amps and I think it sounds great and better than any other solid state amp that I've owned. I'm not going to ever "upgrade" to any other amp that you guys try to push on me because your motives are suspect in my book. This forum is becoming useless to me so why bother?
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Last edited by Yngwie#1 at Dec 19, 2009,
Quote by BGSM
Exactly. The smaller MGs make decent practice amps, it's just that spending money on effects wont make it sounds much better, if at all. It's like getting a 92 Toyota Carolla and polishing the ports on the engine or whatever - it's still a junky car, it's not going to make any difference.

I already own the YJM308 as a collectible if nothing else being an Yngwie Malmsteen fan. I have tried it on solid state amps and it does in fact color the tone in a pleasing way which is what I'm after. Like I said I'm not really expecting or trying to overdrive the amp, it does fine with it's own 2 available overdrive channels. It's more of a tonal flavoring to me by using the YJM308. But that's not my problem that I wrote the question about. The problem is noise from my Strat's single coils and the overdrive pedal too. I just want to know the difference between why you could hook it up either way as I described above while I'm waiting to get the Boss NS-2 by Christmas or after. And please do not suggest any other brand amp or effects pedal equipment to me.
Quote by Yngwie#1
What is with this UG forum and non-stop MG bashing? Sometimes I wonder if you are getting kickbacks from Marshall competitors. I find that this bias is different than any other guitar related forum that I'm on. Forget what amp I'm using. You are going off topic in my opinion because that was not my question. I'm not ashamed of owning one of the new MG4 series amps and I think it sounds great and better than any other solid state amp that I've owned. I'm not going to ever "upgrade" to any other amp that you guys try to push on me because your motives are suspect in my book. This forum is becoming useless to me so why bother?

If it's useless to you then don't use it. We don't have to help you man, you asked for it.

The fact of the matter is that the Marshall MG is made cheap, sounds sterile and is overpriced for what you get. Honestly you can get cheap Crate SS amps that sound as good the MG series for half the damn price. You get close to useless effects with lack of much control over the perimeters.

I think MGs sound like turd. That doesn't mean I think all transistor amps sound bad but the MG is fucking up there buddy.

To answer though, run your overdrive before the NS-2 and enjoy the shrill wonder of boosted transistors.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Asking for help doesn't mean a constant pattern of getting harrassed with negative opinions on stuff not asked about. It's like I have to post a disclaimer on every post what not to bring up. Stop being so full of it. I don't care what you think about MG amps. I don't need to switch amps to be part of your little click to become cool in your eyes. I'm not forcing you to play my amp so I don't care that you don't like them. You must have wax in your ears from too many years of your big badass loud amp using 'cut mids' which is probably ruining your sound no matter what amp you wanna use. Get a Q-Tip and dig it out.
Quote by Yngwie#1
Asking for help doesn't mean a constant pattern of getting harrassed with negative opinions on stuff not asked about. It's like I have to post a disclaimer on every post what not to bring up. Stop being so full of it. I don't care what you think about MG amps. I don't need to switch amps to be part of your little click to become cool in your eyes. I'm not forcing you to play my amp so I don't care that you don't like them. You must have wax in your ears from too many years of your big badass loud amp using 'cut mids' which is probably ruining your sound no matter what amp you wanna use. Get a Q-Tip and dig it out.

You think we care about you? What clique are you talking about? You mean the clique where my ears have developed to a point where an MG doesn't do it for me?

Don't hate me because I notice and warrant the difference between tube amps and solid state. If you want to remain ignorant, fine by me. It doesn't make a difference.

I'm not forcing you to change your amp either, I'm telling you to stop being a big baby when somebody says your amp is crap, because it's clouding how you judge tone.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Sorry, but the only people who say things like "the MG is better than any other SS that Ive owned" are people who have only owned MG's, or at the most Spiders and FM's as well.

Maybe youre different, maybe youve played on Crate's and Vypyr's and you honestly like the MG better. But its far more likely to be the former, so that's what everyone (rightfully) will assume.
That's the difference between ignorance and arrogance with this forum. I've seen it before during my time running various forums or being a forum moderator. Nothing's clouding my hearing. I know the limits of chasing tube amp tone with a solid state amp and how it's never going to be perfect or come close enough for others to accept. But you don't need to put down anyones equipment of choice in order to help them or maybe try to make them feel bad because they are not in the uber-tube amp club.

For example of I were replying to a post like this topic (even if I would never use that person's amp or pedals) I would work with the the user has and say something like, "well putting the Overdrive before the NS2 [is or isn't] preferable to putting the Overdrive into the Send/Return loop, and this is why you [would or wouldn't.]"

Why is that so hard to do with some here on UG? All you do is come across as a bully or amp Nazi because what a poster uses or says his "solid state experence" is gives you the right?

Maybe my amp experience is limited, having gone from a 10 watt Squier amp to an old 15 watt MG to a 20 watt Cube to a new 15 watt MG4 amp. Yeah, that's what I've played guitar through but I do hear the difference between little practice amps and professional recordings using large tube amps. Even if I played through a tube amp in a store I could never afford one so I have to make do with what I got for $105, and it sounds damn close enough in my living room to give me satisfaction.
Back to the point of my original post, does anyone know why or why not in general you should use the NS-2 send/return effects loop or not with an overdrive pedal? Apparently Yngwie just uses his overdrive pedal straight through when practicing with his MG. Maybe it's just a matter of convenience or simplicity?

For me it's just to cut the Strat pickup noise and add some tonal coloring from the pedal to the signal going into the amp. My aim is with the pedal is to get a little mojo tone and not to overdrive a solid state amp. The amp's two built-in overdrive channels are good enough.

Also, I have a Boss PSA-120T power supply from a DS-1 distortion pedal that I have. I believe the recommended power supply for the NS-2 is a PSA-120S. Will the 120T still work with the NS-2 since it's a Boss pedal power supply?
Okay... Jesus christ. This thread is very disappointing...

Yngwie#1.... I like putting overdrive pedals in the FX loop of the NS-2. That set up should work fine for what you want.
Might as well just get the ns-2 and try both, but it will definitely work for what you need.

have a good one.
Oh and i believe that your power supply should work.

I'm not 100 percent on that one, but if the polarity is right go for it. lol
Sorry Yngwie, I replied to your title (overdrive replacement) rather than your post. If you put it in front of your amp and have the Yngwie pedal in the NS-2's loop it should work well. The reason I say this is because OD pedals don't work well in the amps effects loop for most applications, so you want it in front of your amp still.

In my first post all I was saying is that by purchasing this pedal you shouldn't expect to be able to acheive Yngwies tone through your amp.
get an ISP Decimator, much better than the NS-2. And get an amp with an FX loop, thats where a noise gate/suppressor is best served
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by BGSM
Sorry Yngwie, I replied to your title (overdrive replacement) rather than your post. If you put it in front of your amp and have the Yngwie pedal in the NS-2's loop it should work well. The reason I say this is because OD pedals don't work well in the amps effects loop for most applications, so you want it in front of your amp still. In my first post all I was saying is that by purchasing this pedal you shouldn't expect to be able to acheive Yngwies tone through your amp.

Thanks for your input. The title said overdrive placement not 'replacement' which seems to be a common theme here, LOL. When I get the NS2 I'll try it in the send/return loop as you suggest. While I won't acheive Yngwie's tube amp tone (plus I don't have his fingers), he uses a YJM308+NS2 (not in a loop though) and a MG for a practice amp too so I'll get what he gets there. Thanks again.
Ha that's weird - I seriously thought it said replacement! I'd also try putting the OD in front and the NS-2 in the effects loop, and see see which one you prefer.
I just snagged a Boss NS-2 from Guitar Center yesterday for $75. I wanted it just to continue trying to collect equipment my guitar hero Yngwie Malmsteen uses and swears by. They were selling it for $110 but they were forced to honor price matching plus 10% the difference. I brought in a printout from Musician's Friend website's Cart page showing their sale price of $78.99 and free shipping, so GC couldn't add anything extra on like the shipping cost! The sales girl was trying to push the ISP Decimator for $150 on me. I refused because I couldn't see paying twice the price. She showed her co-worker my ad printout and with a disgusted voice asked "why are they doing this? I just checked and it's legit" for Musician's Friend having such a low sale price.

I don't get to use it until Christmas though. I sort of bought my own gift got my wife to wrap for me. It comes from both our moneys

P.S. Here's a YouTube clip of Yngwie showing why he needs the Boss NS-2 with his DOD YJM308 Overdrive that I also have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDzNsFjEk1E
Last edited by Yngwie#1 at Dec 24, 2009,