So, Ive been playing for I think 3 years now, and I have started to come to a few issues. One in particular is when I am trying to play the song My Lovely Man by RHCP. The solo has a lick like this.

---------------------------------------------|
-------------------15------------------12----|
--14r-12-14-12-14b----14r-12-14-12-14b----14b|

(particularly the first part)

Typically I would have my hand in a position with my thumb over the top of the guitar, its just what I typically do with these kinds of solos. Is this wrong? When I reach for that 15 with my pinky, its a painful stretch and it just hurts my finger. Is this more suitable for playing with my thumb behind the neck? It seems like I would have to go through a bit of work to relearn licks like that with my thumb behind the neck.

Also, one thing that is kind of related is that I seem to put my pinky back pretty far when I have my thumb over the neck. I put it out of the way, its not behind the neck, and its not particularly detrimental (so far) to my playing, but it looks somewhat strange when playing, but should I relearn to not do this? I tried to keep my pinky together, and its nearly impossible, it goes right back. Any tips?
I pretty much keep my thumb behind unless i'm bending. Lots of guitarists keep it over except bar chords. It is easier to stretch with it behind for sure.
If its painful, you probably shouldnt keep doing it. I know my wrist starts to hurt if I put my thumb behind the neck while standing, unless the guitar is WAY high.
Yeah you should really be playing with the thumb on the back of the neck parallel to it, unless doing vibrato, or of you really have to for muting the E string. It will make playing this a lot easier, though it might take some getting used to if youve been playing thumb over for 3 years.
Ok thanks. I usually do thumb over for simpler things, and for some reason this lol, I think its because of the sharp bends at the start of the solo, and I just cant get my thumb back behind it easily. I can play with my thumb behind the neck, but some things like this (especially bends) Im not used to like that. Thank you though, Ill start to practice things a bit more both ways.
Quote by littlephil
If its painful, you probably shouldnt keep doing it. I know my wrist starts to hurt if I put my thumb behind the neck while standing, unless the guitar is WAY high.

Agreed, it just feels, and looks awkward when I do it. There are some circumstances where im able to do it, like legato or something, but other than that, I feel im straining to do it.