Page 1 of 2
What are your opinions on tremolos besides Floyd Roses? Especially the Edge pro/III/and Zero Resistance bridges, since I'm looking at a lot of ibanezes. How do you think others compare to an original Floyd Rose?
Edge Pro is about on par with the OFR, some say its better.
Edge 3 isn't near OFR quality.
ZR I dont know much about, I've never used one. Supposedly pretty good.

Original Edge and Lo-Pro Edge are the best
zr is very good
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Wilkinson trem + graphite nut + locking tuners.

/thread
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by travislausch
Wilkinson trem + graphite nut + locking tuners.

/thread

This. Wilkinsons=awesome.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Bigsby

As far as double-locking trems go, the Original Edge, Lo-Pro, and Edge Pro are my favorites. It's near impossible to find a guitar with an Original Edge, though, as Floyd Rose claimed copyright infringement soon after Ibanez began offering them. You could probably find them used, but it's a real long-shot.
Gotoh Wilkinson style trem.

Gotoh double locking trem.

Schaller double locking trem.

Kahler Steeler.

All amazing, either from personal experience or word of mouth (my favorite that I've played being the Gotoh/Schecter double locker on the Schecter Stiletto series... Dear GOD that was a nice trem)
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I Love the Schaller but it has nothing against the Lo Pro Edge man I love my low profile trems. If we're talking about non locking bridges my next favourite would probably be the Trem King but the Wilkinsons are just as good I hear.
I have an Edge Zero and it's amazing. I hear the ZR2 is pretty much the same system with the ball bearings. But those trems are really bad. Once you play them, you won't want to play anything else, especially if they're your first. Most people who complain about the ZPS are people who played Floyds for years. Ibanez's goal with the ZPS was to "fix" the problems with Floyd Rose-style bridges. They wanted to make a stable bridge to remove flutter and worble. The bridge doesn't move at all unless you touch the whammy bar. It feels like a fixed bridge. Bending and palm muting won't affect the other strings at all like on Floyds.

I noticed that the tone and sustain is improved with the ZPS in. My RG sounds more like a fixed-bridge PGM (tighter and brighter) with the ZPS in and a regular RG or JEM without it. It stays in tune for months since the bridge always returns to the exact same point no matter what. If the guitar starts going out of tune, it's not the bridge. It's the strings. It's also much easier to tune than an OFR. There's a knob on the back that adjusts bridge height. Changing the tuning of one string won't change the others so changing tunings is very simple. When you take the ZPS out, it's still easier because there's no screwdriver involved.

I think it's leagues ahead of the Floyd Roses and it's the next step in trem design like the OFR was in the late 70s. I highly recommend the Edge Zero or ZR2. If you want it to perform like a traditional Floyd, you can take the ZPS out.

And another thing. A Wilkinson will not give you the range of a Floyd. It won't even be close. It may stay in tune but the range of Floyds come from the locking nut.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Bigsby

As far as double-locking trems go, the Original Edge, Lo-Pro, and Edge Pro are my favorites. It's near impossible to find a guitar with an Original Edge, though, as Floyd Rose claimed copyright infringement soon after Ibanez began offering them. You could probably find them used, but it's a real long-shot.
What? Original Edges are very common. Ibanez made guitars with them from 1987 until about 2003. I believe they are still making them now, or at least have very recently because the 550 and 770 reissues had them.
Quote by littlephil
What? Original Edges are very common. Ibanez made guitars with them from 1987 until about 2003. I believe they are still making them now, or at least have very recently because the 550 and 770 reissues had them.

I've been playing Gibsons too long
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']I've been playing Gibsons too long
Thats not necessarily a bad thing... i cant wait to get into another gibson... but this time around im definitely not getting an LP studio... time for a classic
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by JELIFISH19
I have an Edge Zero and it's amazing. I hear the ZR2 is pretty much the same system with the ball bearings. But those trems are really bad. Once you play them, you won't want to play anything else, especially if they're your first. Most people who complain about the ZPS are people who played Floyds for years. Ibanez's goal with the ZPS was to "fix" the problems with Floyd Rose-style bridges. They wanted to make a stable bridge to remove flutter and worble. The bridge doesn't move at all unless you touch the whammy bar. It feels like a fixed bridge. Bending and palm muting won't affect the other strings at all like on Floyds.

I noticed that the tone and sustain is improved with the ZPS in. My RG sounds more like a fixed-bridge PGM (tighter and brighter) with the ZPS in and a regular RG or JEM without it. It stays in tune for months since the bridge always returns to the exact same point no matter what. If the guitar starts going out of tune, it's not the bridge. It's the strings. It's also much easier to tune than an OFR. There's a knob on the back that adjusts bridge height. Changing the tuning of one string won't change the others so changing tunings is very simple. When you take the ZPS out, it's still easier because there's no screwdriver involved.

I think it's leagues ahead of the Floyd Roses and it's the next step in trem design like the OFR was in the late 70s. I highly recommend the Edge Zero or ZR2. If you want it to perform like a traditional Floyd, you can take the ZPS out.

And another thing. A Wilkinson will not give you the range of a Floyd. It won't even be close. It may stay in tune but the range of Floyds come from the locking nut.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmnnnnnnnnnnn.

I want one.
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
Thats not necessarily a bad thing... i cant wait to get into another gibson... but this time around im definitely not getting an LP studio... time for a classic

Not a bad thing at all.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Bigsby

No they actually didn't. Edges were ALWAYS LFR's until the Edge Pro came out in '03.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
To throw my 2-cents in here, i just got an Ibanez R570 (made back in 2000) with an original Edge, that's the way to go IMO i've used the Edge Zero and they're just.. wonky. The Edge III.. don't even waste your time. I've heard good things (and some bad) about the Edge Pro & Lo-Pro Edge but i maintain, Original Edge is the way to go. Just find a gently used RG570 on eBay or your local Craigslist. Could save you some money over a brand-new axe anyways. *shrug* There's my 2-cents.
Quote by JELIFISH19

My guitar has a very nice Jackson LFR in it, but I have to say, this makes me wanna change it out for an edge Zero.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Dec 19, 2009,
Best trem that isn't a Floyd? Either an original Edge or a Lo-Pro Edge - take your pick.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I thought I'd ask while there's a thread about it...

I heard that Kahler's don't have knife-edges like Floyds and Edges do. Is this true? Do they have ball-bearings or something? I've never seen a Kahler in real life, so I have no idea how they work.
^That's true. They use a Cam system.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Edge and Lo-Pro Edge are licensed under Floyd Rose patents so don't really count. As far the rest go, the only one I have significant personal experience with are Kahlers and they destroy.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by oneblackened
^That's true. They use a Cam system.

Wikiped says a cam is a device that translates rotational movement to linear motion.

I'm not sure how this translates to a tremolo system. Are there any pictures of the "guts" of a Kahler?
Quote by sashki
Wikiped says a cam is a device that translates rotational movement to linear motion.

I'm not sure how this translates to a tremolo system. Are there any pictures of the "guts" of a Kahler?

think dude, the bar is basically rotating in a circle when you pull up or down. the strings gain tension or lose tension in a linear motion - they're either being pulled back or pushed forward.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
think dude, the bar is basically rotating in a circle when you pull up or down. the strings gain tension or lose tension in a linear motion - they're either being pulled back or pushed forward.

I fail at seeing the obvious
Quote by sashki
I fail at seeing the obvious

Imagine a ZR trem with the saddles in front of the ball bearing but the string holders kept behind. It's like that kinda.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by sk8boardbob2
Imagine a ZR trem with the saddles in front of the ball bearing but the string holders kept behind. It's like that kinda.

Wouldn't that make it more like a Bigsby, where the bar that the strings are wrapped around turns to loosen them?
Quote by sashki
Wouldn't that make it more like a Bigsby, where the bar that the strings are wrapped around turns to loosen them?

Excuse the fact it's an Edge III and not a Kahler, but it shows what I'm trying to demonstrate.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened

Excuse the fact it's an Edge III and not a Kahler, but it shows what I'm trying to demonstrate.

I get it, but thanks for the diagram, anyway.

I still think it resembles a bigsby in terms of operation.
Well, yeah. An FR is more or less a fender trem on steroids, and a Kahler is more or less a Bigsby on steroids.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by xStratcatx
I've heard good things (and some bad) about the Edge Pro & Lo-Pro Edge but i maintain, Original Edge is the way to go.

Woah, someone said something bad about the Lo-Pro Edge? Man they must be on crack or something, you must show me this and I must track them down and remove the stick our of their ass.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Woah, someone said something bad about the Lo-Pro Edge? Man they must be on crack or something, you must show me this and I must track them down and remove the stick our of their ass.

They're bringing back the Original on all JEM's and JS's in 2010! Too bad they didnt bring the Lo-Pro back too.
Quote by littlephil
They're bringing back the Original on all JEM's and JS's in 2010! Too bad they didnt bring the Lo-Pro back too.

Never tried an Original Edge myself, are they any good? Do they feel much different to the Lo-Pro?
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Never tried an Original Edge myself, are they any good? Do they feel much different to the Lo-Pro?

Dont know, I've only got an Original on my S. I think they're pretty much the same in terms of feel, just the Lo-Pro is more comfortable because the fine tuners are further back.

They're bringing it back because they discontinued the Edge Pro, and Satch and Vai would need to give the OK for Ibanez to put the Edge Zero in their guitars, but didnt, so they put the Edge in them. Makes more sense really, because neither uses the Edge Pro.
The Gotoh unit is better than an OFR.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by littlephil
Dont know, I've only got an Original on my S. I think they're pretty much the same in terms of feel, just the Lo-Pro is more comfortable because the fine tuners are further back.

They're bringing it back because they discontinued the Edge Pro, and Satch and Vai would need to give the OK for Ibanez to put the Edge Zero in their guitars, but didnt, so they put the Edge in them. Makes more sense really, because neither uses the Edge Pro.

Ah shit no way they're discontinuing the Edge Pro? ****ers that's probably going to mean some half wits going to raise the price of their used bridge.
Quote by sashki
I get it, but thanks for the diagram, anyway.

I still think it resembles a bigsby in terms of operation.

Most people equate the Floyd Rose to an extreme Strat bridge and the Kahler to an extreme Bigsby, so you´re on the right track.
If I picked a locking trem, then I'd go with a Kahler Steeler. For a non locking, then I'd get a PRS Standard tremolo.
Page 1 of 2