Well I thought I might as well make a thread asking which guitarist is more preferable, Steve Vai, or Joe Satriani. The Student Versus the Master...AAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNDDD GGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Keep your other guitarist to yourself please.

Oh, and I much prefer Vai. He's my Hero

Edit: And because some people are buttholes, im gonna say this.

Joe was Vai's teacher, so how do you feel about that?

And don't report me less I spam the shit outta you.
Last edited by ibanezboy1992 at Dec 20, 2009,
Satriani has more public appeal due to his more rock-based roots.

Vai has more musician appeal due to his blatantly eccentric virtuosity and musical experimentation.

I prefer Satch, but respect Vai as a player (even though I've heard many recycled riffs and licks from him).
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I like Satch, simply because he is, to me more pleasant to listen to. He also just has the grace of a seasoned musician.
I enjoy watching Vai play more than listening to him, not that hes not good to listen to but its just his style is more the kind you enjoy watching? =S
Quote by ZOMGdonuts
I enjoy watching Vai play more than listening to him, not that hes not good to listen to but its just his style is more the kind you enjoy watching? =S

I agree. I enjoy watching Vai, something about his style really apeals to me. But on the other hand, I would probably say I prefer Satch a little more.
I'd much rather both listen to and watch Satriani. I prefer how his music is a bit more predictable than Vai. I still do really dig Steve Vai, but I'd have to choose Satch. Lotus Feet is my favourite Vai song, but I think he totally ruins it with the ending, and he does that alot which is why he's not my first choice.
Both are great guitarists and artists, but I LIKE Satriani a lot more. My reason is: Satch actually writes rock songs most of the time. Vai's are few and far between. I get the whole transcending rock music thing, and I respect that, but it really makes me skip over his songs when they come up on shuffle. When I bought Vai's Ultra Zone, I nearly threw it away.
I prefer Vai. To me, he just has the edge in terms of production and playing skill, and I can sometimes understand why or how he's moved into the next segment of a song (except for in stuff like Voodoo Acid, that shit's ****ed up).
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
I can't stand Steve fucking Vai. Has to be Satch.

No vs. threads by the way.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
i would hve to say vai just because i can enjoy his music more than satch just oppinion
Personally, i prefer Vai's music, but Do we really need a thread for this?

It's alright having an opinion but come on... Satch and Vai? It really isn't about being the better guitarist with them, or anybody for that matter. Just enjoy the music, and stop making a competition about everything.
Its obvious that Steve Vai plays more than Satriani,but both are good
Hard Rock,Nu Metal,Trance n Hardstyle lover
Quote by Alkaline 64
Personally, i prefer Vai's music, but Do we really need a thread for this?

It's alright having an opinion but come on... Satch and Vai? It really isn't about being the better guitarist with them, or anybody for that matter. Just enjoy the music, and stop making a competition about everything.

You see, thats what I can't stand. If you would read my post and actually think about it, you would realize I only ask this question because Satch taught Vai. All I wanted to know is if people thought that Vai might have actually surpassed his mentor.

But whatever, It's not like your paying for me to write this. If that was the case THEN I might question the thread..And how am I making a competition of EVERYTHING?
Last edited by ibanezboy1992 at Dec 19, 2009,
Quote by slaptasticdave
*reported* no verses threads

Also I vote for David Gilmour

Bullshit reporting

Try reading the rules.

# "Who's the best....?" Polls: There is a "favourite xxxxx" sticky for most of these questions. If you want to make a thread like this, DON'T make it a poll... you'll just end up with a thread of posts saying "where's x, where's y?". Make it more open for discussion and ask for people's reasons behind their choices.

way to go
Last edited by ibanezboy1992 at Dec 19, 2009,
Quote by slaptasticdave
Apparently verses threads aren't against the rules in this specific forum, I just assumed that was universal since its like that in every other forum I go in. So I guess I didn't report for the right thing, but clearly you haven't made this thread open for discussion by saying keep your other guitarists to yourself. Not to mention this would be more appropriate in the shred forum anyway.

So go ahead and insult me again for trying to do my part in keeping this forum spam free.

Actually I watched a youtube video by Vai himself saying he's not a shredder, so wrong again. Second, I ONCE AGAIN mentioned that Satch and Vai were student and mentor. So you know..stop tring to nail me for something I didnt do. .
Quote by ibanezboy1992
You see, thats what I can't stand. If you would read my post and actually think about it, you would realize I only ask this question because Satch taught Vai. All I wanted to know is if people thought that Vai might have actually surpassed his mentor.

Why do you think it's so important for Vai to out do Satriani? It isn't. They've been friends since they were teens, and sure Satch taught Vai, but he also taught lot's of other people... You should know as well as i do that Steve practiced his ass of for the best part of ten years and has himself to thank for that.

Quote by ibanezboy1992

But whatever, It's not like your paying for me to write this. If that was the case THEN I might question the thread..And how am I making a competition of EVERYTHING?

Bollocks, this whole thread is a competition. Just look at the title.
Quote by Alkaline 64
Why do you think it's so important for Vai to out do Satriani? It isn't. They've been friends since they were teens, and sure Satch taught Vai, but he also taught lot's of other people... You should know as well as i do that Steve practiced his ass of for the best part of ten years and has himself to thank for that.

Bollocks, this whole thread is a competition. Just look at the title.

Yea I know Vai isn't the only one. Satch also taught Kirk Hammet, I know this stuff. And yes, this is a competition. I don't understand why people just can't cooperate with me here. I don't have anything against Satch, I just like the soul that Vai puts in his music.
Quote by ibanezboy1992
Yea I know Vai isn't the only one. Satch also taught Kirk Hammet, I know this stuff. And yes, this is a competition. I don't understand why people just can't cooperate with me here. I don't have anything against Satch, I just like the soul that Vai puts in his music.

What?

Why should i "cooporate" with you? This thread is a complete waste of time. All your doing is asking people to judge something that really doesn't need to be.
Satch is better in my opinion.

But its impossible to pick between the two, which is why they invented the G3.
My personal favorite is Vai by far. I like some of Satch's stuff but I don't really get into his soloing. For some reason I also dislike his guitar tone, don't know why. Vai is to me far more expressive, even though sometimes he just goes straight into weirdom
As far as teh teacher vs student argument goes, that for me doesn't really count. When Vai took lessons he could barely play one note on the guitar and Satch was playin g for a couple of years. Of course at thius point satch could teach him a lot. But over time the hole between the two just got smaller, they are up there as a pair technically speaking. As far as musically there can be no real competition, that's kinda pointless in an artform.
I like Satriani better.

Vai just sounds like a copy of Joe Satriani.

But that's just me

And another reason I don't like Vai that much is because i saw him live once and his tone was bad....

It sounded like his guitar was playing in a tin can... there were other bands there too like dream theater, zappa plays zappa, begelf (this was Progressive Nation btw )

But that might have been technical difficulties