Anyone actually good with this? I've lately been practicing while learning to play Tears in Heaven and I thought that it might be a technique that I could really get into. The two only problems I see is that it can get confusing and is hard to get used to, and that, assuming you're right handed and play with everything normal, that the pick will be used to pick lower strings while fingerpicking higher strings, thus making the lower strings louder than the higher strings, although it's not necessarily always a bad thing I guess...
I've seen Malmsteen kinda do it, but it seems really hard picking with only your bottom three fingers. At least for me.
Si lo ven que viene palo al tiburon
Vamos a darle duro sin vacilacion
Si lo ven que viene palo al Tiburon
En la union esta la fuerza y nuestra salvacion

I don't really care about your age lol.

Hybrid picking can be a bitch. But like any technique, you just have to fine tune it so it works for you. If you find that you're picking too hard and fingerpicking too softly, try using a different kind of pick, or fingerpicking harder.
well doing this just getts getting used to but you will get it with practice and as for the loudness eventually you will get used to picking hard with your finger but if your really worried anout it you could let the nails on you picking hand grow a bit and that could help also might sound a little brighter
Hybrid picking is used quite often. Check out some of John 5s stuff, or some good ol' fashioned country guitar.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Practice controlling your dynamics eg how loud/softly you play. It's something that only comes from playing experience.

btw change your sig, if you really were mature you wouldn't put that as your sig.
I'm pretty sure John 5 is really good at it, check out his teaser trailer thing for "The Devil Knows My Name"
the only time i use it is when i try to play stairway, other ways I just use my fingers and grab the pick if i need it (though that can be tricky in the middle of a song).
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by zincabopataurio
btw change your sig, if you really were mature you wouldn't put that as your sig.

Okay, to try to justify a bit, I was just being stupid and rash because I was getting a lot of shit that day about being 13, and I handled it a bit immaturely because I was already building up a temper that day because of some things that happened before, so yeah. Took it off, sorry.

Anyway, like, what would be the use of hybrid picking? Could you get creative, maybe play things that you couldn't play fingerpicking, like use the pick part to your advantage to accentuate certain parts or something?
I have noticed that jazz guitar players use hybrid picking so they can comp more like a piano instead of strumming. The jazz technique plays the top or middle four strings notes at once.
Arpeggiating the chord that way would be more difficult.
BGStrings
I do it all the time. It's pretty much standard for country players, and I use it in other contexts as well - ballads, jazz, 50's rock etc.

One thing you mentioned is volume, and I have to say you've got it backwards. You can get a MUCH louder and more percussive pop off a finger (especially the middle finger) than you can off a pick. That's how those really punchy clean country solos are played.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
I do it all the time. Shawn Lane, Guthrie Govan, Michael Lee Firkins, Buckethead and other fusion players/shredders make great use of hybrid picking.

Some examples:

Shawn Lane: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwgSRSGG9aA (about 3:00 in)

Guthrie Govan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J503OvHWKko (about 1:23 in)

Buckethead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy4LdGjp6TE (about 5:30 in) - his playing is not human here
Quote by AlanHB
As for the guitarist being a wanker - he's a guitarist. Get used to it.