Page 1 of 2
The Emg Alexi Laiho is a set of Emg HZ's, isn't it? If so, it all comes down to if you like active or passive pickups...
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
EMG-X's

/thread

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by The^Unforgiven
The Emg Alexi Laiho is a set of Emg HZ's, isn't it? If so, it all comes down to if you like active or passive pickups...

true but it does have that boost and abq eq thing that might make it sound more active.
Quote by The^Unforgiven

They're HZ's with a gain boost in the knob.... (marketing scheme)
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by simpleben09

do you think blackouts would be better? like agressive clarity wise?
Quote by IhaveAnAlexi600
do you think blackouts would be better? like agressive clarity wise?

Well.... I've played the Alexi pickup and it sounds great, but I've never really played anything blackouts. I've heard that they're a real hit right now though
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

Quote by simpleben09
Well.... I've played the Alexi pickup and it sounds great, but I've never really played anything blackouts. I've heard that they're a real hit right now though

sick i want to try them. does the eq thing really make a difference?
Quote by simpleben09

Ask yourself what's an active pickup? It's only a high impedance pickup which means absolutely nothing to 99.9% of guitarists. It's no different than a passive. But EMG actives use a low output magnet and boost it with an active preamp. It's pretty similar to a passive with an active boost except the boost is done inside of the pickup.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Dec 19, 2009,
Definitely go with blackouts if you like active p-ups. I, personally, am not an active fan, so I would go for something more along the lines of a JB. (THAT is one hell of a p-up!) But if I had to choose an active set to go with, it would be Blackouts. I've played a few guitars with them and they beat the hell out of anything EMG.
Quote by IhaveAnAlexi600
sick i want to try them. does the eq thing really make a difference?

It's noticeable, but it doesn't make that big of a difference. But it's really all about how you work it. I mean, there are 5 factors that affect tone, (in order from what I find most important to least):
Amp/Effects
Pickups/Body Wood (they're about on par)
Neck Joint (bolt on, set in, neck thru,)
Bridge Metal
A little EQ in the pickups isn't going to make that big of change in your tone
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

Quote by MetalUpYourRear
Definitely go with blackouts if you like active p-ups. I, personally, am not an active fan, so I would go for something more along the lines of a JB. (THAT is one hell of a p-up!) But if I had to choose an active set to go with, it would be Blackouts. I've played a few guitars with them and they beat the hell out of anything EMG.

ya thats what im thinking. i wonder how those new mick tompson blackouts sound
Quote by simpleben09
It's noticeable, but it doesn't make that big of a difference. But it's really all about how you work it. I mean, there are 5 factors that affect tone, (in order from what I find most important to least):
Amp/Effects
Pickups/Body Wood (they're about on par)
Neck Joint (bolt on, set in, neck thru,)
Bridge Metal
A little EQ in the pickups isn't going to make that big of change in your tone

ahh kool ty i might just go with blackouts. But my mind always changes at the last minute
Quote by MetalUpYourRear

You're definitely right about JBs. Very good all around pickups. However, the whole EMG vs. Duncan is 99.9999999999 percent personal opinion. Play some alder body guitars with EMGS in them and some with Duncans in them
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

Quote by simpleben09

That is a really hot pup. It measures up to many other aftermarket models.
It behaves very much like an EMG 81. It produces a lot of overtones. It's very dynamic..
thats one thing for sure.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Dec 19, 2009,
Quote by simpleben09
You're definitely right about JBs. Very good all around pickups. However, the whole EMG vs. Duncan is 99.9999999999 percent personal opinion. Play some alder body guitars with EMGS in them and some with Duncans in them

how would a jb go with a gain boost lol
Quote by IhaveAnAlexi600
how would a jb go with a gain boost lol

I'm not gonna lie..... it would make bitches scream
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

Quote by simpleben09

do you mean that in a good way?
Quote by IhaveAnAlexi600
do you mean that in a good way?

I mean that in a VERY good way :-D
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

Quote by simpleben09

I concur. I've got a '09 Charvel Style 2 with one and I cum more and more with every note I hit. I have to play in a bathtub. Its ridiculous.
Quote by MetalUpYourRear
I concur. I've got a '09 Charvel Style 2 with one and I cum more and more with every note I hit. I have to play in a bathtub. Its ridiculous.

you have a gain boost with a jb?
That actually might be better than getting the Blackouts... I mean, suppose you decide to go to a slightly softer genre: Instead of having to re adjust your settings and whatnot, it's like, BAM! WHAT NOW MOTHER ****ER! and your pickups aren't as gainy anymore
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

I have a suggestion. Before you buy new pickups...go to some show and watch some bands that play the genres that interest you.

You will be very surprised to find out you probably dont even need actives.

Personally, I haven't seen anything passive that has as much gain as a bare knuckle pickups while retaining clarity.I dont think you need actives at all.

I wouldnt recommend the EMG's because the passives tend to sound like the actives and there are gaps in the sound. They are high gain but they trade off the small tones that give the warm feeling of a standard aftermarket passive pickup.

I have the H4/H4A set and the 81/85 set and they both behave the same way. The 81/85 are just balls to the walls.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Dec 19, 2009,
Quote by simpleben09
That actually might be better than getting the Blackouts... I mean, suppose you decide to go to a slightly softer genre: Instead of having to re adjust your settings and whatnot, it's like, BAM! WHAT NOW MOTHER ****ER! and your pickups aren't as gainy anymore

haha so true
Quote by IhaveAnAlexi600
you have a gain boost with a jb?

Naw. All I gots is a volume knob. But I can't imagine the pickup ever sounding bad...
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
I have a suggestion. Before you buy new pickups...go to some show and watch some bands that play the genres that interest you.

You will be very surprised to find out you probably dont even need actives.

Personally, I haven't seen anything passive that has as much gain as a bare knuckle pickups while retaining clarity.I dont think you need actives at all.

I wouldnt recommend the EMG's because the passives tend to sound like the actives and there are gaps in the sound. They are high gain but they trade off the small tones that give the warm feeling of a standard aftermarket passive pickup.

I actually do agree with Washburnd as far as the EMG tone goes, but again, it's really all about personal preference. I think that idea of a JB with a boost in the knob might be a really good idea :-D
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

I've never used one at all, but a friend of mine has a gain boost (not sure which one) and Im pretty sure he has a JB in that guitar too... He plays guitar for Atheist and SWEARS by the JB.
Quote by simpleben09
I actually do agree with Washburnd as far as the EMG tone goes, but again, it's really all about personal preference. I think that idea of a JB with a boost in the knob might be a really good idea :-D

i shoud save up and but a emg alx and a jb and use the boost with the jb instead of the hz i might get that old bodom tone
Quote by IhaveAnAlexi600
i shoud save up and but a emg alx and a jb and use the boost with the jb instead of the hz i might get that old bodom tone

There's a good chance you could get that, since Alexi's old Jackson RR24 was actually a passive pickup with a literal built in preamp in the guitar... But then again, to get the TRUE old Bodom tone, you would need a Lee Jackson perfect connection XD
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

Quote by simpleben09
There's a good chance you could get that, since Alexi's old Jackson RR24 was actually a passive pickup with a literal built in preamp in the guitar... But then again, to get the TRUE old Bodom tone, you would need a Lee Jackson perfect connection XD

ya true but i heard somewhtere that the jackson pickups he used were similar to the jbs so i thought he why not try that with a gain boost
Quote by IhaveAnAlexi600
ya true but i heard somewhtere that the jackson pickups he used were similar to the jbs so i thought he why not try that with a gain boost

I say go for it dude. And like, even if you don't dig the whole gain boost thing, the JB will still kick a lot of ass
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father

Quote by simpleben09
I say go for it dude. And like, even if you don't dig the whole gain boost thing, the JB will still kick a lot of ass

haha ya i just want somthing unique ty for the help to
Quote by BandanaWedgie
Is it just the birgde pickup?

Strange question I know but the Alexi sig has one pickup lol.

You know if you do create a multi you try not to make it appear like your last account...
Quote by azn_guitarist25
You know if you do create a multi you try not to make it appear like your last account...

Yes I am aware of that, but who says I can't be creative?
Page 1 of 2