Ok so I'm a beginner (about 3 months), and I'm dead-set on learning. I already have a cheap strat for learning, but its a dog of a thing to play because its a re-strung right handed guitar, and its falling apart(plan on fixing). I'm planning on buying a left handed guitar now. The problem is the ones I've been checking out are generally at least $150 more expensive then their right hand variations. My current budget is ~$400-$500
Now theres this company called Gaskell that I've been hearing great things about. They make left handed guitars exclusively, and are supposedly the only company in the world that do a left handed explorer shape body, and I can get that for roughly $1000.

I know Gaskell to be reliable and have extremely good customer support. So considering I'm a beginner, would it be wiser to go with them and fork out the extra, or take a gamble with a $400 instrument thats only worth about $250?

Thanks

Oh, I'm in Australia by the way.
Last edited by miker545 at Dec 19, 2009,
I would recommend trying to string your current guitar righty since you're a beginner. Try learning to play right handed. You've only been playing for 3 months so it may be worth it. There isn't a difference between left handed and right handed guitars as you'll encounter the same problems along the way. The only difference is when you initially pick it up and you're tempted to hold it the lefty and righty way. Guitar is all about practice and nothing about it is natural so it won't harm or hinder you in any way to learn righty. If you practice the same amount on righty as you do lefty and vice versa, you'll be in the same place. It may have some bumpy roads in the first couple of days, but once you overcome that, it'll be the same.

The reason I recommend learning righty is because there are more than 10 times the amount of righty guitars on the market and most of them are cheaper than their left-handed counterparts. It'll save you time, money, and hassle in the long run.
1. Just no
2. I know another lefty explorer shape in your price range. Infact I know 2.
3. Here is your new left handed haven.
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitarleft.html They even stop selling some awsome right handed models and are now exclusively selling them in left handed. *sad day for righties like me* also check this site frequently cause the lefties sell faster than the company can make them. Especially around this time of the year.

Here are some links to some guitars you might like in your price range. I guarantee you they are all good quality.
http://www.rondomusic.com/halowhitelh.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/wrl590left.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/dauntlessemggoldleft.html

@JELLI Hes a lefty, he shouldnt have to change that especially when he can get good quality lefties for pretty much the exact same price and the righties.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Dec 19, 2009,
Don't take the Gaskell...yet. I'd say buy something that will last you a year or 2 before you look at spending even more money on a guitar, you don't need something that cost a lot to learn with.
get an agile...your so lucky you live in america when it comes to agile
Quote by '93
get an agile...your so lucky you live in america when it comes to agile

You really cannot be ****ing serious can you?
Quote by miker545
Ok so I'm a beginner (about 3 months), and I'm dead-set on learning. I already have a cheap strat for learning, but its a dog of a thing to play because its a re-strung right handed guitar, and its falling apart(plan on fixing). I'm planning on buying a left handed guitar now. The problem is the ones I've been checking out are generally at least $150 more expensive then their right hand variations. My current budget is ~$400-$500
Now theres this company called Gaskell that I've been hearing great things about. They make left handed guitars exclusively, and are supposedly the only company in the world that do a left handed explorer shape body, and I can get that for roughly $1000.

I know Gaskell to be reliable and have extremely good customer support. So considering I'm a beginner, would it be wiser to go with them and fork out the extra, or take a gamble with a $400 instrument thats only worth about $250?

Thanks

You could get a right handed guitar and play it left handed upside down as an option. I have been playing right handed (I am RH) for 10+years and a few months ago I picked up a used lefty Squier. Rather than restring it, I decided to learn it upside down.

I've found it really natural this way. In 3-4 months I've gotten pretty good on it. There are some chords and techniques I think work better upside down. Plus, I also learned to finger pick it like a bass.

I think there are a number of LH players who play a RH guitar upside down. Since you are starting out, it may be worth time to try a RH guitar upside down and see how it feels.

Just a thought....
Everybody has this thing just change your thinking and become right handed. If your a lefty and happy playing lefty then stick with it. As a lefty I know it can be a royal pain to find guitars. The agile lefties is probably a pretty good option. Ive looked at em but I certainly dont need another store bought when I have 2 mahogany bodies I need to finish to go with 2 necks I have.

Looking online your not going to get a great deal. But looking around in stores many times you can find a good deal on a lefty. The 3 guitars I bought in stores I got good deals on as they were dying to get rid of em. Most lefties in stores will have been in stock several years. If you play it and act like your gonna leave because its to expensive the price will drop.
Quote by Tackleberry
Everybody has this thing just change your thinking and become right handed. If your a lefty and happy playing lefty then stick with it.

I completely agree.

Don't give in to the right-hand pressure. There will never be a good selection of left-hand guitars if leftys all buy right-hand guitars. I seem to remember right-handers trying to make small children write and eat right-handed many years ago until it was established it was cruel & un-natural for them
Hi Miker454,

I got a custom lefty from DnA guitars, it came with dimarzio Pickups. These are the pictures they sent me before pick ups were installed. They're based in the UK, this guitar would cost you about $450. It ****ing kicks ass.

http://s989.photobucket.com/albums/af20/Dedleystacks/?action=view&current=hammerslammerface-1.jpg

http://s989.photobucket.com/albums/af20/Dedleystacks/?action=view&current=hammerslammerbody.jpg

Good Luck
I was gonna say to Rondo too, but, since it's already posted on the 3rd post. I have only had good experience with SX guitars, user since '06 so don't be afraid of them =]

Also the Higher-End Agiles can compare to Gibbies!! That's a thing to look up to =]

Im a lefty player but i always started playing righty, six years now since that bro. I'm planning in picking up one of these rondo jewels just to shape up playing on both ways hehe.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
I'm in the same boat. Someone from here pointed me to http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/ Not any that fit what I'm looking for but its a place to keep an eye out. Its tough when you goto online retailers and pick "electric guitars" then the subcatagoreis show up where "left handed" is all clumped together with a choice of 35 or so models.
You'll know if playing righthanded is an option for you right off. Yeah us lefties don't have as many options as those the play righthand but there's enough to please.
IMHO a MIM Tele or a Epi LP can be had in your budget along with Ibanez,Schecter,ESP,Godin eT al. Look around , you decide.
Quote by miker545

Thanks

Anybody trying to talk you out of getting a decent guitar like the Gaskell to start with is just coming at you from the point of view that you will probably give up. About 90% of people who take up guitar give it away. If you are dead set keen to go the whole nine yards, then get a decent guitar to start with. that way you don't learn to play like a POS because the guitar you are using is a POS. A crap guitar is not an acceptable "discipline" to have to put up with as a learner. Get a decent guitar like a Gaskell and then learn properly and learn well. Then you have a better chance of sticking with it and not being one of the 90% who give up. Playing POS guitars like "Agile" and "SX" will piss you off and then you might give up.