My amp the marshall class 5 has only one slot for 16 ohm speaker cab but 4x12 are expensive and I was wondering if some how there was a way to use a 2x12 which are 8 ohms i believe into a 16 ohm slot.

Perhaps add a dummy load
2 8 ohms wired in series =16 ohm load

(in other words, you can get a 2x12 with 16 ohms resistance.)
Last edited by glemnar at Dec 19, 2009,
I use a 2x12 with 8 ohms with my valveking which only "supports" 16 ohms. Works well, no problems. Also the peavey customer service told me that there shouldn't be any problems as long as the mismatch-thing is not bigger (e.g. 4 ohms)
C4C?

Take a look at my profile!
Put 8ohm speakers, wired in series, in your 2x12. . If you are saying you have an 8ohm 2x12 it is either 4ohm per speaker in series (sell it ) or 16 ohm speakers in parallel. Pray its the latter (or check it) and wire them in series so the impedence is 32ohm. Not ideal but it won't blow the output stage of the amp.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Well I havent bought it yet so I can choose whatever I want lolz...but i have no idea what series and impedance mean.

Could you explain it to me in a more noob fashion. On how I could get a 2x12 cab that would work with a 16ohm setting

thanks guys

Also I was thinking of buying an empty avatar cab and then adding two 16 ohm speakers....does that work.

these speakers

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Scumback-H75-65watt-16ohm-12-guitar-speakers_W0QQitemZ150397624234QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2304659faa#ht_901wt_1165
Last edited by harkkam at Dec 19, 2009,
So I have a choice of series or parallel.

If I buy two 16 ohm speakers and run them in series that makes 32 ohms. Would that be okay? Would that cause damage to my amp head?

Or if I buy two 8 ohm speakers and run them in series that makes for 16 ohms right?
Yeah, get 2 8 ohm speakers wired in series for 16 ohms. Avatar will do It for you.
I was thinking Id buy an empty cabinet from ebay and 2 8 ohm scumbacks run them in series and wire them myself.

What do you guys think?
Quote by harkkam
I was thinking Id buy an empty cabinet from ebay and 2 8 ohm scumbacks run them in series and wire them myself.

What do you guys think?

Sounds good.
Perhaps instead of scumbukers I was thinking

1 Celestion G12H
1 Vintage 30

Together in a cab

Ive heard they sound great together