I'm thinking of entering the world of 6 string basses, so I'm going to go on a trip to Glasgow to see if I can decide if they're for me or not, but that's not quite the point...

Browsing the internet I've found 2 6 strings that appear quite good, but will have no way of trying them out before buying them.

The first is a Spector Legend 6 Classic and the other is a Yamaha RBX6JM (John Myung model). What do you guys think of either of these basses? How do they compare to each other/are either of them good or bad choices?
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Ibanez SZ4020 w/BKP Miracle Man set
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Tanglewood TSB58 HB w/BKP Nailbomb & Cold Sweat
Epiphone SG Prophecy w/Seymour Duncan/Ibz
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
I play a four string but yamahas are pretty good basses. It may be a little more expensive than the other bass you put on here but other than that their a good bass.
I would LOVE a 6 string Spector!
At the minute I play a 6 string Washburn BB-6 & it's good... But I'm not a fan of the shape really, it's a little big & the cut-away looks kinda odd... & I think I probably over-paid for it, so I'm not suggesting it
At the minute I'm sort of looking into an Ibanez BTB 6 string (http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75461) so I'd recommend that, or an Ibanez SR
Quote by _-Joey-_
I would LOVE a 6 string Spector!
At the minute I play a 6 string Washburn BB-6 & it's good... But I'm not a fan of the shape really, it's a little big & the cut-away looks kinda odd... & I think I probably over-paid for it, so I'm not suggesting it
At the minute I'm sort of looking into an Ibanez BTB 6 string (http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75461) so I'd recommend that, or an Ibanez SR

It'll likely be a BTB-676 I'll be trying tomorrow to see if I definately want a 6 string, but it's a bit out of my budget for now. Looks awesome though. The 2 I mentioned are auctions, so there is the chance I'll get something affordable, but I can't try them out. It's hard enough to get 5 strings in this area, let alone 6s.
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
Well, I'd go for the Spector out of those two, just because I love the look of them really!
It was John Myung that influenced me to get a 6 string & although I have one, I don't really play anything like him... He's too good
Yeah, Myung's one of the reasons I'm thinking 'bout it. At the moment the Yamaha is probably more tempting, since (for now) it's cheaper and will come with a hard case - the Spector will not, but that's all that seperate them now.

Does anyone know how they compare in size, balance, weight, tone, etc?
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
Both are great basses, I would go for the Spector though

Quote by lyonk55
Yeah, Myung's one of the reasons I'm thinking 'bout it. At the moment the Yamaha is probably more tempting, since (for now) it's cheaper and will come with a hard case - the Spector will not, but that's all that seperate them now.

Does anyone know how they compare in size, balance, weight, tone, etc?

The Spectors are know for having small bodies, which is one reason why I love mine, the Yahama's body is a bit bigger but if I recall correctly Yahama's are known for being light weight. As for the Spector, the neck is a little chunky, and I dont have much experience with yahama basses, which is a little strange since I'm primarily a bassist but I have a Yahama Saxophone and a Yahama Guitar , either way both are excellent basses
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
Last edited by BamaBlues at Dec 19, 2009,
The Spector it might be now...the Yamaha has longer to go and the price is steadily creeping up...
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
I don't get excited about any ebay auctions until it says I'm the winning bidder. From someone who's sold lots of stuff on there, most of your bidding action is in the last 30 minutes. I've had stuff on there that's doubled in the last 30 minutes or so.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
I have an original Yamaha JM6 John Myung 6-string bass and it is fantastic. It took me almost two years to find one for sale. Yamaha has also discontinued the JM2 bass (the second generation John Myung bass), so those are becoming scarce. I'd go with the Yamaha. Lately, it is my favorite 6-string bass (and I own a few good ones).

That having been said, Spectors are first-rate basses. I haven't played their 6-string models, but their 4 and 5-string basses are great.
I play an ESP B-206SM, and it's pretty great. My ESP weights like 20 lbs, and it's lighter then other 6 stings I've played [Ibanez, Schecter, and Warwick]. I think 6 stings are excellent basses and well worth the money. =]
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Am I the only person who loves a bloody heavy bass? Sure my fretless 5 is 5 kilo's but eh.

ON topic though Ibanez 6's have always impressed me. Check em out TS the ones I would have suggested have already been suggested.

Edit @ above 20 pounds? that's a little over 10 kilo's for some reason I doubt that,
I am me. Live with it.
Last edited by DeAd-RiP at Dec 20, 2009,
Just an update - the Spector and a nice Fender Jazz V I was also watching are gone. Got stuck in traffic comming home from Glasgow and missed 'em both. Still haven't been able to find any 6 strings to try in shops after going to all the Glasgow ones I could find. Thanks for the input though guys!
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
I play a midrange Yamaha thats based off of his sig model, I love it.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
^ Ya I'm a huge Spector fanboy but I gotta admit, Yamaha's are pretty damn good.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I have the Yamaha, and the only problems I have are that the frets seem to slightly stick off of the sides of the neck, and the pickups can be somewhat quiet.