Hey guys,

I'd really appreciate it if I could get some feedback on my vocals. The best song to listen to would be 'Fade Away', the first song on here: http://www.myspace.com/alanjlegend . The second song, 'Steal' is a good example of my singing too.

I would like to know, honestly, how I rate as a singer. I know I am not amazing but I like to think I am alright. I've been singing for around 3 years. When I started I could not sing at all, so I have improved somewhat.

But yeah, if anybody could point out some things I am doing well and not doing well, what I could do to improve etc. I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Edit: oh, and please be really picky. I want to know areas in which I need to improve, even if just small things.
Last edited by jhardcore at Dec 19, 2009,
I don't think there's anything wrong. You've got your own style, and it sounds good. If you'd like to post specific stuff you'd like to improve, I can help you out there. For "Fade Away," the singing isn't what bothered me, it's that the little lead guitar part is out of time. Neat song, though.
Overall, quite decent. You do a good job of singing stuff that complements your voice, and staying within your range. Overall, your pitch is good, and you don't sound like you're singing from your throat - at least not too much.

You tend to go a little flat at the ends of lines. That comes from not having quite enough breath support.

Tone-wise, your voice has a "you" character to it that works for me. Conventionally, a lot of people equate good singing with resonance, which you lack - particularly where people most want it - at the top of the range. Where a listener wants to hear a nice, round, rich, resonant note, your voice comes off as a little one-dimensional and a tad flat.

It's hard to tell you how to develop resonance. You kinda have to learn that from lessons. To oversimplify it, though, it requires allowing the voice to 'grow' inside the sinus cavities rather than having it get pushed up from the lungs and pushed out the mouth without being given that time to resonate in the sinuses.

I also thought, mix-wise, that the guitar overpowered the vocal a bit. Back that off and allow the vocal to be the focus of attention. It is a sign of a singer who lacks confidence to bury the vocal underneath the mix. It's not a bad imbalance, but one I would fix if I were you.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^ That's so simple, and yet so *there.* I love it!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.