jarred_kenny
121 IQ
Hey, I play in a band called "The Wait State" and we will be playing at our school talent show on monday. This would be our third gig, but i was wondering if you guys had any advice.

Since its a talent show we cant play a full set. so here is what we picked:
Everlong - Foo Fighters
Not Ready To Go - The Trews

We even changed the ending of not ready to go so it speeds up in tempo, and just explodes for a big ending.

Any advice helps!
The pick of destiny wasn't made from the tooth of the devil, it was made from mine.
SilverchairFan
54 IQ
Make sure youre as tight as you can be as a band
Engage with the audience, have fun and be comfortable
jimmy_neutron
ROCKET EDITION!
1,902 IQ
There was an article about band practicing and live performance in the columns recently, and one thing that really stuck out to me was, to work on your stage presence, pretend you are playing a gig, make a video recording of the practice, and then watch it back with the sound off, to see how ye look.

Other than that, the only advice that can be given for a gig, is that be prepared for anything that can go wrong, as it most likely will. Lost picks, broken cables, snapped strings, blown fuses, dead batteries. It all happens, so its always best to have plenty of spares so you are prepared for the worst. Make sure you know the songs absolutely backwards. Two members of your band should be able to play their parts of the song together, in time, without the rest of the band, and get it right. Thats when you know you are practiced enough.
jarred_kenny
121 IQ
Thanks, we got the songs down pretty tight, and we are actually practicing in an hour, so i may take my video camera and see what we can change about are stage presents.
The pick of destiny wasn't made from the tooth of the devil, it was made from mine.
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
2,471 IQ
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
isabiggles
UG Addict
1,203 IQ
Quote by jarred_kenny
Thanks, we got the songs down pretty tight, and we are actually practicing in an hour, so i may take my video camera and see what we can change about are stage presents.

Giving out presents to the crowd could seriously get them on your side if you get them good ones. Make sure you give equally to all parts of the crowd otherwise only a certain area will get them.

No but seriously, if you upload it here then we could help you out I guess. Just pretend that there's a crowd.

(I may be too late now though)

EDIT:

I love your name by the way.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
MR. Goodcents
282 IQ
Quote by jimmy_neutron
There was an article about band practicing and live performance in the columns recently, and one thing that really stuck out to me was, to work on your stage presence, pretend you are playing a gig, make a video recording of the practice, and then watch it back with the sound off, to see how ye look.

Other than that, the only advice that can be given for a gig, is that be prepared for anything that can go wrong, as it most likely will. Lost picks, broken cables, snapped strings, blown fuses, dead batteries. It all happens, so its always best to have plenty of spares so you are prepared for the worst. Make sure you know the songs absolutely backwards. Two members of your band should be able to play their parts of the song together, in time, without the rest of the band, and get it right. Thats when you know you are practiced enough.

This is good advice. At practice play the songs exactly how you will be playing them live. Do it in order, say whatever if you are going to talk between songs, allow for tunings... And then time it so you can see really how long you are actually on stage, and if you need to slow down or speed up.