I've noticed when I play through my Strat with my overdrive pedal, a Tech 21 XXL, it sounds bad. Im curious, is this because of the single coils? In which case would I have to buy a guitar with humbuckers as well?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
define 'bad'
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Well, the sustain is bad, and when I play higher notes, it just sounds weak.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
single coils shouldn't be a problem tbh. I don't know anything about the pedal, but could it be the pedal settings that need a bit of fiddling with?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

I have the same problem with this multi effects zoom pedal i got. I dont think it has anything to do with the guitar though, because when i run it through the amps distortion channel without the pedal it sounds really good. But as soon as i put it through the pedal it kind of looses its bite you know? Like the notes die out early and sound weak, just like you said. I think it just has to do with some signal loss or something? idk but yea man i think it might just be the pedal
Yeah, on the amp's natural overdrive, it sounds alright, but still it does lack sustain, and some bite

I'm wondering if I should buy a humbucker guitar as well as my STrat? I'd buy a new pedal, but I'm afraid that'd be a waste.
Quote by chip46
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Dec 19, 2009,
This may be due to the strat's tremolo system. You want sustain out of a Fender guitar? Get a hardtail like a Telecaster. BTW what kind of Strat do you have? If it's a Squier for the love of god upgrade the crappy potmetal tremolo to a all steel one.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
^ look at his profile, that's a good guitar and should not be lacking in sustain. It has to be the pedal/amp/leads/etc. unless the guitar is broken in some way.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

I didn't think Strats were known for sustain?

I have two courses of action:

Sell the pedal, and buy a different overdrive

Or, sell all my old gear, and buy an Epiphone Dot, to use with my Strat, as I like the tone I get out of them
Quote by chip46
Yeah Strats and all the 60s surf type of guitars are not known for massive sustain. You do have a nice Strat, sorry I didn't look on your profile before. You also have a killer amp man, I love Fender blackfaces. Well let's think the cheapest thing to do is sell your current OD and try another, if that doesn't work then decide if you want to sell your old gear and get a Dot.
I personally think you need a hardtail guitar of some sort but do try the different OD first.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Have you thought about using an OD pedal that uses an actual tube since you find your tube distortion is fine?

If you're willing to shell out the $300 for a new one (Less if you look used and don't mind going used on a pedal), then check out the BK Butler Tube Driver, or there was a few of the Tone Bone ones.
SORRY, SORRY, SORRY for ressurecting this

I just decided to buy a distortion, I messed with the EQ on my old overdrive, and it sounds great.

Also, with reverb, I can make it SOUND like it sustains
Quote by chip46
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Dec 27, 2009,