styles: Old school black\thrash death metal. Blues, Blues rock. Neo classical, progressive and clean stuff.

use: home, small gigs, band's rehearsals.

budget: under 1000 for sure and cheaper the better.

requirements: preferably head version for easier transportation. Fx loop is a must and it should eat pedals well.

notes: hey there, i don't have a chance to experiment many amps so i can't really decide which one to buy... i like the classic overdrive sound for leads.

Thanks in advance, i love this site, i love you all, merry merry christmas and happy new year for you!
Last edited by morkeg at Dec 19, 2009,
Location? Willing to buy used?

There's the new Peavey 6505+ combo... A used XXX or Ultra Plus would suit you well. A modded Valveking would work too (output transformer swap and some circuit mods) You could also find a used 5150 or 6505 head in your price range.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Are you playing metal more, or blues? Are you willing to go used? If so you should check out the Mesa/Boogie F series or Caliber series. They don't quite have the prestige the Mark or Recto series have, but that means that the F and Caliber series will be cheaper.

Also maybe check out the Peavey 5150/6505 amps or the Triple XXX/JSX.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Europe. Boogies are way over 1k here =(

Do i need OT swap in valveking's head version?
Quote by Raijouta
Location? Willing to buy used?

There's the new Peavey 6505+ combo... A used XXX or Ultra Plus would suit you well. A modded Valveking would work too (output transformer swap and some circuit mods) You could also find a used 5150 or 6505 head in your price range.

A 6505 wouldn't work great for blues rock and cleans. The modded valve king might work with a boost. How about a used JCM, I can't remember if it has an FX loop though
That's a tall and esoteric order for a $1000 amp. If you don't mind turning knobs to get all those sounds, a used Rivera Fandango might slip in under your price point, will do all those pretty well, and has a loop.

If all those sounds have to be footswitchable, you'll pretty much have to go modeler because a tube rig that does all that at the same time is going to be more than $1000.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Yes, an OT swap is very beneficial to any Valveking. The stock one is puny.

Also consider the Jet City 100w head that's coming out soon. Maybe save a bit more in that time? You're just outside the range of alot of very high quality high gain heads like ENGL.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Yes, an OT swap is very beneficial to any Valveking. The stock one is puny.

Also consider the Jet City 100w head that's coming out soon. Maybe save a bit more in that time? You're just outside the range of alot of very high quality high gain heads like ENGL.

ENGLs are also cheaper in Europe.

Quote by Rhoads_1096
A 6505 wouldn't work great for blues rock and cleans. The modded valve king might work with a boost. How about a used JCM, I can't remember if it has an FX loop though

The cleans on the 6505 is plenty usable you just have to dial it different. Run an OD pedal in front of the clean and you can get a very usable blues rock tone. Of course, SS rectification gives the amp a stiff feel that blues guys might not be able to deal with. Perfect for power chords though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
100w is way too much for me, i didn't say anything but i'd prefer something around 30w valve so i can play at home and small stuffs
You're not going to find a 30 watter that can do metal well, aside from the Krank Rev Jr.

Either way, you're not going to be able to crank it in your bedroom. 30 watts is still loud, and 100 watts isn't that much louder than 30. Wattage is more about headroom than volume.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D