Hey everyone. So ive been using this old tube amp to warm up the sounds from my multi-effects pedal and I've noticed a few things with this amp that I hope someone can help me with.
I seem to get a lot of static and hiss which increases as the volume goes up, and the tubes seem to clip at a lower volume than what i would expect, its just a tad too quiet to be able to play with a drummer before it starts to distort. I'm thinking about getting a new 12ax7 preamp tube, and I'm just wondering if a new tube will fix some or all of the problems im having before i spend the money? If not, do you have any ideas what the cause could possibly be? It also picks up radio signals sometimes, but i have a feeling a new tube wont help this. It is a very old amp, probably 40 years old, but i would love to restore it to a decent working condition
Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated, thanks
Oh yea, i suppose different types of static can mean different things, so i figured i'd include a clip of what im talking about. http://www.myspace.com/thetravestyofman at 3:10 in the song "dawn (demo sample)"
this amp has hardly been used, so im wondering if time in general will wear out the tubes? or is it only possible if they are turned on?
What have we got?
A new pre tube is probably worth a try, but I doubt that's the real issue.
It might help with the clipping, but that could very well be a power tube issue as well.
40 years is overdue for a cap job, and much of that hiss and static is probably due to drifting resistors and old caps not filtering well.

Gut shots?
Specs?
Quote by Rutch
What have we got?
A new pre tube is probably worth a try, but I doubt that's the real issue.
It might help with the clipping, but that could very well be a power tube issue as well.
40 years is overdue for a cap job, and much of that hiss and static is probably due to drifting resistors and old caps not filtering well.

Gut shots?
Specs?

I second this notion..
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
What amp is it?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
A 40 year old tube amp that has increasing hiss as volume goes up is begging for new caps.

The volume problems, depending on the amp, could mean it needs new power tubes. But that could also just be how loud the amp is.

What amp is it, exactly?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
hmmm, pics arent uploading for some reason....all i know is that its an Electrohome PA-300