I just recently bought a Marshall class 5 and it has rattle problems and apparently havent been worked out yet and Im fed up with dealing with returns and what not and just want an amp that works.

However this amp sounds heavenly compared to my epiphone valve junior and Ive always been looking for that plexi in a box sound.

I really dont care if the amp is marshal or not, I know alot of non name brand amps do a better job than marshall of being a plexi in a box.

Could you guys recommend me some 5 watt amps that have that plexi tone and cost around 400-600 dollars.
Wampler SuperPlextorton sounds pretty good through a VJ.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
no pedals i want an amp that was built to sound like the real thing. I dont like pedals doing the job of trying to sound like an amp.
At $600 you seriously limit your options.

Edit : I should add I'm also looking for a low watt plexi solution. The only thing i've found that I like better then what I have is a Fargen Mini. Set you back about 2 grand.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Dec 19, 2009,
your Class 5 is about the optimum for that. Get it fixed and you'll be in business. Get power scaling retrofitted for that sound at any volume. That would be the best option IMO.
Yeah the problem is not in my Amp only...its a design flaw, every amp has this problem and there are massive returns going on. Marshall build quality im afraid to say has turned to sh*T
"rattle" as in with the construction, and not signal path I'm guessing. Try and find the rattle yourself. Doubt if the cab itself is rattling. Check all mounting hardware such as used w/ speaker to cab, amp to cab, verify rattle not in the speaker, the electronics mounting to chassis, handle to cab, reverb, etc. Did you contct Marshall and find out what the return repair adresses? Hope some of this helps. Good luck.
You can buy a kit for around that price of an 18 watt amp with a plexi based preamp. I don't know if you are willing to buil an amp, but it would be a good project with a great end result of an amp and you will save quite a bit of money.
could I have the 18 watt amp kit built for me?

I know I thought about all of that but I dont want to open the amp and void my warranty. Yes its a design construction flaw.
Mine doesn't rattle, awesome amps the Class 5
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Yeah with shipping and all the ceriatones are out of my league price wise because id have to buy a cab as well and I dont have one.
Warranty issues are important. If you can just locate problem, sometimes a piece of paper wedged in trouble spot will cure, and might not have void warranty. I know it's frustrating, but you do have a good amp already, minus the rattle of course.
The build might not be great but the tone's great. I seriously think that if you get anything else you'll just be dissapointed that it doesn't match the Class 5 until you get up to significantly higher prices; fixing it up seems to me to be the way to go.
The answer is simple, find out where the rattle is and fix it. I bet its just a few screws loose or something. What I'd do though regarding your amp is keep the Class 5, buy a 2x12 cab or even a 1x12 and use the Class 5's external cab output and you're set. You'll have the amp you love and the tone you're after and save money
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
^[DSOTM80] Great points.
Also, I suggest you get power scaling installed, which lets you run your valves hotter at any voltage, and consequently, any volume. At lower volumes it hampers dynamic range slightly, and you'll never get your speaker cooking (you won't do that much with 5W anyway), but it's the best solution to cranked amp tone at reasonable volume that I've come across yet. This would be a serious plus for your tone.

Edit: Actually, I don't think it has an effect on dynamic range at all.
Last edited by Rock Pig at Dec 19, 2009,
wouldnt pay 600 dollars for a 5 watter.
if you want a low wattage plexi just build a plexi se its much cheaper.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
i dont think you can really capture the plexi sound in a 5 watt amp. alot of the sound of a plexi comes from the output section.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I like the idea of the Marshall 18Watt 1974x clone

i tried looking for some on the net but couldnt find any in my price range. Could you point me to some thank you
Quote by stykerwolf
Getting a plexi tone is going to be ear blowing loud with a built plexi.

As for an amp, i'd suggest an attenuator and a Marshall 18Watt 1974x clone.

the plexi se is 5 watts..........
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Try looking for a used Rivera R series or Knucklehead on Ebay. Their lead channel is based on the Plexi with a innate boost that increases the EQ's parameters, volume and saturation making it very versatile. The clean is even more godly. Look the R100-212 up on youtube.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Just get a nice clean Fender amp and a Rothwell Hellbender.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
The Class 5 is a ridiculous amp IMO since you can only get distortion at near drummer levels. However it might be a good pedal amp if you were looking for the Plexi sound in a pedal, the voicing would match up.