Hey guys I would like to know which one people would recommend... (probably the majority has never been to both so... can you guys please tell me your experience with them?) so far I'm leaning towards MI.
berklee. you will learn so much more that will help you become a better musician. As a guitarist, you will most likely not get a job shredding. most of your gigs will be playing weddings and clubs. jazz techniques will get you much farther in the practical world. If you want to be a rockstar, don't bother going to either.
I go to Berklee, so obviously my post is going to be kind of biased seeing as how I have no experience with MI.

One thing you have to consider is cost. Berklee without any financial aid, living in the dorms, meal plan is around 52g per year, and thats not including costs of going out on the weekends, extra food, etc. I'm not really sure how much MI is, but thats something you can probably easily find online.

Another thing you have to keep in mind is where these schools are located. Berklee is in Boston and certainly gets all four seasons, it's cold as **** there now. On the other hand, MI is in Hollywood so you basically have summer.

I have absolutely loved my experience at Berklee and I have grown as a musician and it helped me find who I really was as a musician. If you can afford it and want to get a good all around education (jazz, classical, contemporary) go to Berklee. I am a guitar principal, but my major is Music Synthesis. Theres a lot of cool majors, so you have your choice, you aren't just going to school to play guitar.

Like I said, keep in mind that I am obviously biased, going there, but i'm NOT going to say go to Berklee no matter what. It's very expensive, a lot of people drop out in their first few semesters because they either can't handle it, or it isn't for them.

So once you know who you are and what you want to do, maybe I can help you more.
Hey thanks guys, I still need the MI side of the story... (if there are any of them in UG)
loud: That's true I guess. I like jazz too ;P.
hollow: yes it is actually just as expensive I believe at MI, I went to California just to visit and it was amazing, I have not seen Berklee yet. I live in Toronto so... Boston is closer, I'm used to the cold so it's okay. I like to play any type of music but I lean towards rock'ish stuff mostly power metal or w/e you want to call it. I really like to learn new things and be exposed in as many styles as possible. I am not that sure yet of what I want to do... but... I kept saying Session Guitarist so far... but I have not pin-pointed what I want to be yet.. thanks for the reply , hope for a reply soon.
Here is a biased/unbiased (wrap your head around that one ;]) opinion from someone who hasn't been to either:

It really all depends on what you want to do. You want something completely guitar specific that won't delve too much into writing for orchestra/jazz/rock/whatever genre you DON'T want to play (<-- I need some to check on this one) AND is cheaper? Then MI is for you.

If you want a well-rounded experience that will MAKE you develop your aural skills, MAKE you better at your instrument, make you a better musician (notice I said musician; not guitarist) but costs more (a hell of a lot more...)? Then Berklee is for you.

I'm, personally, going to try and get into Berklee. I'm not even LOOKING at MI as a possibility anymore. It isn't what I want to do. But that's just me.
I didn't go to MI. But I did go to a sort of MI clone, called Music Tech of Minneapolis. The schools name has since been changed to Mc Nally Smith School of Music, for some reason. www.mcnallysmith.edu/

I loved every minute of my year there. It was like taking an 8 hour a day guitar lesson, everyday for a year. The teaching staff was great. And I made some really good friends, that I've kept in contact with for over 17 years.
Since graduating, I've been able to make a living by teaching and playing in bands. Which I couldn't have done without school.
Having said all that, Berklee is a much better school. But if music is what you want to do with your life, you can still achieve that by going to MI or some other similar school.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Hmm... all things to consider... I really can't really tell because I've never been taught there. Really great suggestions guys, hope this helps anyone else who thinks about going to these or other schools. I REALLY would like an MI experienced member ;( but so far... it seems like most of the UGer's who read this is BERKLEE people. Yeah I'm considering Berklee as a possibility.
Quote by NecroticSoldier
Hmm... all things to consider... I really can't really tell because I've never been taught there. Really great suggestions guys, hope this helps anyone else who thinks about going to these or other schools. I REALLY would like an MI experienced member ;( but so far... it seems like most of the UGer's who read this is BERKLEE people. Yeah I'm considering Berklee as a possibility.

I'm pretty sure must UG'ers haven't gone to any music school. Most people are better off to get a different degree, where there is actually a high potential of getting a good job, and then they can use the money the earn to pursue music as a hobby.
Quote by NecroticSoldier
Why?

In brief: It didn't find it to be a very good school.

let me put it this way ...

University music program = balanced nutritional meal

MI = Mcdonalds (in nutritional value, but not price.... MI is expensive fast food)

If you really want to be a musician, I would recommend avoiding MI, and putting your parents financial resources to better use.

If your parents are rich on the other hand, and you like the idea of becoming a rock star.... GIT may be for you. More than anything that's why they're selling. For that year at least, you'll believe it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
In brief: It didn't find it to be a very good school.

let me put it this way ...

University music program = balanced nutritional meal

MI = Mcdonalds (in nutritional value, but not price.... MI is expensive fast food)

If you really want to be a musician, I would recommend avoiding MI, and putting your parents financial resources to better use.

If your parents are rich on the other hand, and you like the idea of becoming a rock star.... GIT may be for you. For that year at least, you'll be convinced you're going to make it.

What kind of program did you take? does that... mean you suggest berklee?
Quote by NecroticSoldier
What kind of program did you take? does that... mean you suggest berklee?

At MI? I took the standard year ( 4 phases )

I can't say much about Berkeley. I do have a friend that went there, and he is awesome. But then again, he was awesome before he went. He does say it was a good school though.

Let me ask you this..

what is your goal? what do you want to be doing when you get out of school?
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
At MI? I took the standard year ( 4 phases )

I can't say much about Berkeley. I do have a friend that went there, and he is awesome. But then again, he was awesome before he went. He does say it was a good school though.

Let me ask you this..

what is your goal? what do you want to be doing when you get out of school?

Sorry for late response... was researching about these schools. I am actually... NOT too sure myself... I've wanted to be a musician ever since I was a kid... but I don't expect myself to be super famous rockstar guy or anything, but now a musician is so much more than just an idol you listen to... it could be an audio engineer or session guitarist... I'm not too sure... but along the lines of session guitarist or starting my own band... or even audio engineering.
Everyone here seems so anti-MI, I don't get it.

MI is a great, great school. Both will help you develop aural skills / intervals / ear / rhythm, both will help you develop as a musician & guitarist.

Berklee will give you an eclectic experience. You will learn a little bit of everything, and a lot of a few things.

MI will teach you everything classical.

It depends on what you want to do. If you were interested in music theory, or doing something with orchestra, I'd say MI is your choice.
Jazz is debatably either.
If you want to be a rock or hip-hop guy, Berklee is your choice.

Pay no attention to those who simply provide very simple responses.
What do you want to do?
Then let that decide which is better for you.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
Everyone here seems so anti-MI, I don't get it.

Having spent a year there, I simply thought it was a bad school. What's to get?
and really, the TS asked for opinions..... I wouldn't really be helping much by being dishonest would I.

btw, you seem to have a strong opinion on the place, when did you go to MI?
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Having spent a year there, I simply thought it was a bad school. What's to get?

When did you go to MI?

ah, you can scrap my post. I thought we were talking Michigan... lol.

I never went to MI. *runs away*
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Quote by UtBDan
ah, you can scrap my post. I thought we were talking Michigan... lol.

I never went to MI. *runs away*

Ironically, I live in MI, and happen to like it.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky

Ironically, I live in MI, and happen to like it.

Michigan = great music school
Michigan State = great music school

Musician's Institute = have no first hand experience and most people I've talked to say moderate range things about it, like "not bad, not good" and "it was OK."
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Quote by UtBDan
Michigan = great music school
Michigan State = great music school

Musician's Institute = have no first hand experience and most people I've talked to say moderate range things about it, like "not bad, not good" and "it was OK."

Wow that's really funny LOL should have put Musician's Insititute instead of MI. ;( yeah I'm reading reviews... and apparently...

You get what you put in applies to both schools... and a lot of drop outs in first year (weeding out all the posers/wannabes) and... it really depends on luck... graduating could end up at a burger flipping house or in a band or something. ackk ;(
That's true with virtually any music school, though. I know a person here in Connecticut where I'm from that have master's of cello performances, and is the manager of a Gamestop. That college decision didn't work out.

I know a person down where I go to school for music in Scranton, PA who haven't finished their bachelor's in Music Education, but is making about a thousand a month in gigging on souzaphone & tuba, and makes more for lessons, and probably upon completion will have a band director's job at a high school lined up.

Going to school for music, I should tell you two things.
1. You will get what you put into it. It is not like getting a degree in Business, or Criminal justice, or English, where you get a degree and then it raises your perspectives in the work force. If you get a Bachelor's in music and want a real career in it, odds are you're going to wait at bare minimum a master's at some point. And this isn't to say most people who get Business degrees are fine with their bachelor's...

...what I'm saying is, with a music degree/education, it isn't going to really about your grades. It is for getting into a grad school or something... but if you get a 4.0 GPA at a music school, and just aren't that good at your instrument, and you get a degree in performance: sorry, you're not going to be able to get a master's in performance, and you're not going to be able to get the jobs you want.

the degree / the classes are there to teach you and to improve you. If you do not improve yourself, you may as well not take the classes altogether. This isn't to say I'm discouraging you... I'm just saying don't have this notion that there's a huge job market out there for musicians: there isn't.

2. Going to school for music is also about networking.
Berklee is one of the best schools for this because it is so eclectic.
For example, if I wanted to find a hip hop producer and lay down a few beats (...err... bear with me...) I have no idea who I would go to. I don't! I don't. A Berklee student would, and would also know who to call in for horn sections, orchestrators, transposers, etc. etc.

What I do have from where I go to school, is an amazing set of classical musicians, a few amazing jazz musicians, a few theory geeks outside of myself (but I'm hoping I'm the biggest/best one lol), and plenty of music ed majors that will be getting jobs teaching right after their bachelor's.

because of this, if I was ever composing and wanted to do something with a high school band, I'm positive that's a phone call away. Or I know that if I ever need a horn section, I can call the Indigo Moon Brass Band and probably not even have to pay, under the favor that I play bass for them at a hip hop gig, or under some undisclosed favor later.

It's half about making you, yourself, the best musician you can be.
It's half about making network connections so that when push comes to shove, your job-hunting network is already setup.

Berklee will help you with the 2nd thing about as great as any school can. The first is almost always up to you.

although it should be said that the classes themselves at MI probably won't be that great, but that's not first hand.

but there you have it. My uber long response full of knowledge of...

...someone who dropped out from UConn because they wouldn't let me do music there, dropped out for a year and only worked, didn't get into Berklee, and then has gone to a music school in Scranton, Pennsylvania and is entering his junior year this next semester as, basically, a music theory major.

lol.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
My friend goes to Berklee and he was telling me how he has learned so much more than he knew already.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by NecroticSoldier
Sorry for late response... was researching about these schools. I am actually... NOT too sure myself... I've wanted to be a musician ever since I was a kid... but I don't expect myself to be super famous rockstar guy or anything, but now a musician is so much more than just an idol you listen to... it could be an audio engineer or session guitarist... I'm not too sure... but along the lines of session guitarist or starting my own band... or even audio engineering.

I see. so your serious about the possibility of making a living with music, and have put some thought into it. that's good. I'm not sure I can give you any "you should do this" type of advice, but I did go to MI, and definitely found both community college & university to be more in depth than MI .....in every regard. (they were also less expensive and the degree DID help me get a job....unlike the MI cert).
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
I see. so your serious about the possibility of making a living with music, and have put some thought into it. that's good. I'm not sure I can give you any "you should do this" type of advice, but I did go to MI, and definitely found both community college & university to be more in depth than MI .....in every regard. (they were also less expensive and the degree DID help me get a job....unlike the MI cert).

I see what you mean. I got less than 1 and a half years to decide... I hope by then I can make a decision... if only there was like a building where only musicians went and w/e w/e w/e lol so it would be like a super school.
Quote by loudog93
berklee. you will learn so much more that will help you become a better musician. As a guitarist, you will most likely not get a job shredding. most of your gigs will be playing weddings and clubs. jazz techniques will get you much farther in the practical world. If you want to be a rockstar, don't bother going to either.

joel and adam from KSE, albeit drop outs
1979 YEAR OF THE HURRICANE BABY!
GSP Rush

GEAR (What I am currently using)
Guitar
Dimebag Darrell Signature ML
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
Quote by UtBDan

It depends on what you want to do. If you were interested in music theory, or doing something with orchestra, I'd say MI is your choice.

If you want to be a rock or hip-hop guy, Berklee is your choice.

I would think it was the other way around, seeing as how MI is the Guitar Institute of Technology, and Berklee is the College of Music.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I would think it was the other way around, seeing as how MI is the Guitar Institute of Technology, and Berklee is the College of Music.

I can't speak for the classes at MI, but I would agree with you. Its mandatory at Berklee to take 4 semesters of 'jazz' harmony and a few semesters of classical harmony/counterpoint. After 4 semesters I feel my jazz, classical, and all-around writing has improved. If anything i've played less and less guitar during my time at Berklee (My major choice and musical change)
I know many people who have went to MI, and it usually is a balanced response: some like it some dont. But Every one of them has told me that it's basically how much effort you put into the schooling. If you party all night and skip classes you wont learn shit, and will be disappointed in the education you recieved. So don't believe everyone that says it's a mediocre school, because you may not be getting both sides of it. Also, I have heard that the housing is limited at M.I. , which means you may have to find your own place out there and if you have no family or friends out there can be incredibly tough and loney, not to mention pricey. Just my 2 cents.