I just had a completely idiotic idea, out of the blue.

The Double LH and RH neck guitar

What if you made a double neck guitar and made one neck right handed strung and the other left handed strung. So you have a normal and an upside down guitar side by side

Maybe you could drop all the strings on one of the necks down a few frets just for kicks.

Double Neck Guitar

Which leaves the question of do you put the normal RH neck on top of or below the upside down LH neck. I'll take a wild guess and say put the LH neck on top and the RH neck on the bottom. This way the low strings are all in the middle and the high strings are out at the edges.

I guess the thing is you can select to have the low strings ring first (RH normal) or the high strings sound first (LH upside down). I have no idea what would happen.

This is not meant to set any records. It's pretty hard to beat 4 necks, 42 strings and 2 sound holes. Pikasso Guitar

The Reversed Single Neck Mod

This idea might be more useful...

So, while I'm at it I wonder what would happen if you turned the neck around so the curved part faces up. The strings and frets run across the curved side of the neck. the flat slide is the back of the neck.

Then remove the truss rod and make the inside of the neck a hollow resonator cavity.

There are Zithers out there using this type of arrangement and apparently they span a wide frequency range and are capable of making a lot of different sounds. It makes some sense to copy the design and add pickups, run through effects and what not.

Like 4 octaves and 91 harmonics.

something like this

I suppose it would be a semi hollow body with onboard mixing of piezzo and electromagnetic pickups. I don't know past that point.

It can't be that much more odd than 42 strings and 4 necks....
I dont see this as a good idea. I mean, why repeat strings. You can play the same things on both necks, so two necks is uselless. Now if you have different tunings on both necks thats another thing. Or you could just make a 9 stringed guitar or so.
Both of those look like awful ideas, but if you're willing to wreck a guitar, I say go for it.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by divinorum69
I dont see this as a good idea. I mean, why repeat strings. You can play the same things on both necks, so two necks is uselless. Now if you have different tunings on both necks thats another thing. Or you could just make a 9 stringed guitar or so.

I guess the double neck guitar is because I learned to play both normal and LH upside down and was curious what it would be like to have both configurations close by.

The reverse neck - the goal is to make some kind of thing that has the frequency and tonal range of that zither; I think the goal is worth it, My initial thought of how to do it wasn't that well thought out admittedly.

Still

4 octave range
91 harmonic locations
Slide, pluck, and hammer/mute/pull-off

For a 5 string Zither is something to add pickups and amplify IMHO>