Page 1 of 4
Hey guys I am curious to see who you all consider the most brootalz (or kvlt lol) extreme metal drummer is.

Personally I am a huge fan of drummers like Lord Marco, Trym and Zach Gibson.

Who do you guys think is the best in extreme metal??? I feel that drummers in this arena are far beyond what any other genre has to offer.
I'd say Gene Hoglan. His stuff with Strapping Young Lad was brutal but tastefully done.
hellhammer and inferno are my personal favs.

frost and faust (early emperor) also are nice.
Quote by Techofthegods
I feel that drummers in this arena are far beyond what any other genre has to offer.

Lern2drum.

Anyway, not that 'extreme' but Kai Hahto has an astounding technique, and Mario Duplantir just for the fact that he hit's the hell out of his drums and it shows on his records, which is a rarity these days. Especially in double bass/blast work.

I'm waiting for a lot of George Kollias' in here but i'd strongly disagree. He is the Alexi Laiho of the drum world.
Last edited by andyscoot at Dec 19, 2009,
nick barker is pretty good as is the expected hellhammer. hellhammer being my personal favourite. i love his work in arcturus as well as dimmu.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Pinto "Menthor".

He is a portuguese drummer, who plays/played in the bands "Epping Forest", "Morbius", "Corpus Christii", "Necrosadist" and "Lvcifyre".

He also was the teacher of my band's drummer...
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Flo Mounier.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Tomas Corn > Flo Mounier.

Well, he was, shame he had to give up the sticks.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Dyer's Eve
Tomas Corn > Flo Mounier.

Well, he was, shame he had to give up the sticks.

+1

Flo is awful sloppy, he makes it quite clear, especially in earlier Cryptopsy that he can't actually blast that fast.
I love Hellhammer in some Mayhem and most Arcturus. Him and Inferno (I think thats his stage name) from behemoth are my favourites. So the usual favourites of a non-drum-playing metal musician

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I'd probably say Martin Lopez and Hellhammer are my two favourites. I also love Faust's work, it's just full of power.

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
Corny Althammer.

His name alone is enough to send any man into a coma induced by the shrinking of the testes.
I've found Jesus
Gene Hoglan is an obvious choice. His work with SYL is fantastic, but he was just as good with Death. Sean Reinert's drumming on Focus also deserves a mention, imo.

Ventor (Kreator) is one of my favorite metal drummers, I love how he can create patterns and fills that are just as memorable as the riffs but lay down those thrash beats when needed. Also, Igor Cavalera, for similar reasons. Though all in all, I think Vinny Daze (Demolition Hammer) just might be my favorite thrash drummer.

I also feel tempted to say Danny Carey, but of course, he doesn't belong in here.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Vinny Daze is a drummer who suits the music perfectly. He does nothing more or less than just add the special touch that make you think 'wow'. Not flashy, or showboating in any way, just exactly what DH needs. The drum world needs more drummers like that.
Quote by andyscoot
Mario Duplantir just for the fact that he hit's the hell out of his drums and it shows on his records, which is a rarity these days. Especially in double bass/blast work.

I love the drumming on Flying Whales, even though it's far from being an extreme metal track.
Sean Reinert for his technical ability, but also being able to scale back and make it tasteful. Gene Hoglan is a very tight player, his double bass playing is ridiculous, and he's a pretty good replacement from Herrera in Fear Factory.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by CTFOD

Sean Reinert for his technical ability, but also being able to scale back and make it tasteful.

Watching him live was unreal. I basically spent all of their set with my eyes fixed on him.
And he has that drum face that's like 'OHHH GOD, SHOULD HAVE GONE TO THE TOILET BEFORE WE CAME ON STAGE'
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
If you're looking for interesting drummers, Extreme Metal, or even Metal for that matter is the wrong place to be looking for. Sure there are plenty of excelent drummers, but for the most part, it's probably one of the most stale of all genre's in terms of interesting drum work.
Quote by andyscoot
+1

Flo is awful sloppy, he makes it quite clear, especially in earlier Cryptopsy that he can't actually blast that fast.

In all fairness now, when I saw him last year he was untriggered and (I never usually say this) perfectly accurate. No joke. Perfectly. That includes the ridiculously quick non-gravity blasting, like in Cold Hate Warm Blood.
Quote by webbtje
In all fairness now, when I saw him last year he was untriggered and (I never usually say this) perfectly accurate. No joke. Perfectly. That includes the ridiculously quick non-gravity blasting, like in Cold Hate Warm Blood.

I meant back in the earlier days on the records. I'm not at all familiar with newer Cryptopsy so i can't speak for that.
Quote by andyscoot
I meant back in the earlier days on the records. I'm not at all familiar with newer Cryptopsy so i can't speak for that.

Yeah, his snare used to slowly disappear after a while, but he's perfected it all now. Right now he's up there as one of the most able drummers in metuhl.
Yanic Bercier

Or whatever his name is.. seriously youtube that shit.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
the guy in Obscura's a freakin' beast. Really clean.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by diminishedtobme
Vinnie Paul
I second this notion. Not necessarily an extreme drummer but the mother****er is a BEAST
Quote by The Arsis
Darren Cesca.

its funny you should mention him.. I live in va beach and Noah (arsis bass player) works at the guitar stoer here, and he told me and my friend that darren was the worst part of the album.. made his parts to technical and was an asshole.. Not to mention his bass drums were awful ><
Does anyone besides me find the lack of Tomas Haake in this thread disturbing? He's awesomely talented without being boring, imo.
Quote by Carrionshine
its funny you should mention him.. I live in va beach and Noah (arsis bass player) works at the guitar stoer here, and he told me and my friend that darren was the worst part of the album.. made his parts to technical and was an asshole.. Not to mention his bass drums were awful ><

Yeah, he does come off as an asshole but he is a great player. I have to disagree that he was the worst part of WATN (you can clearly see the drumming on that album was excellent... well IMO). I personally like his bass drum work.
Whoever drums for Origin.

And George Kolias.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
Whoever drums for Origin.

And George Kolias.

Longstreth is beast. I'd pass out playing that shit.
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

My Last .fm page: http://www.last.fm/user/mcgelie
There are so many amazing drummers and a bunch were mentioned here already.

I just want to throw in some of my personal favorites (in no particular order)

Mauro Mercurio
John Merryman
Tom Ales
Romain Goulon
Elliot Hoffman
Dave Culross
Sean Reinert
Adam Jarvis
John Longstreth
Inferno
Duane Timlin
Hellhammer
Kai Haito
Navene Koperweis
Tim Yeung
Kevin Talley
Samus Paulicelli
Trym
James King
Steve Asheim
Shannon Lucas
Blake Richardson

and too many more to continue... It's all SICK

Ian
Guy from Acid Bath is great.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Page 1 of 4