I'm going to spare the details but today i broke the top of a powertube (that little part that sticks up, it's a JJ EL84)
Anyways i don't know if i de-vacuumed the tube (that even a word?) but i forgot i unplugged my cabinet to my amp head and i turned my amplifier on, now i didn't notice the tubes glowing so i shut it off after 4-5 seconds apon turning it on.

Did i just blow my powertube AND output transformer?
If u turned it on without a cab, the u probably blew it.
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard
You almost certainly did not blow it.
Turning an amp on with no load is not enough to break anything, there needs to be an input signal. Since you weren't playing, you probably just need a new set of power tubes and you'll be fine.
Quote by metalheadblues
hearing things like this just makes me think twice about buying a tube amp

This whole "blowing up" only applies to halfsacks. Combos generally don't have to worry about this problem.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Dec 19, 2009,
Quote by metalheadblues
hearing things like this just makes me think twice about buying a tube amp

Hearing SS amps makes me think twice about owning an SS amp.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
get a new power tube and worry about the ot later.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by Roc8995
You almost certainly did not blow it.
Turning an amp on with no load is not enough to break anything, there needs to be an input signal. Since you weren't playing, you probably just need a new set of power tubes and you'll be fine.

+1

stykerwolf - I should know this but what amp again? You may need to get a pair of power tubes that are sent out as a pair.

PS: Having a combo amp with the speaker unplugged is not good either to whomever said this only applies to heads as far as load.

v......Gotcha
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 19, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1

stykerwolf - I should know this but what amp again? You may need to get a pair of power tubes that are sent out as a pair.

PS: Having a combo amp with the speaker unplugged is not good either to whomever said this only applies to heads as far as load.

It's a Blackheart 5 watter, it just has one EL84 so i don't really need a pair.
Quote by Alex Vik
This whole "blowing up" only applies to halfsacks. Combos generally don't have to worry about this problem.

Not correct, you still have your speaker cable running to your speaker, if thats unplugged its still the same problem a halfstack has
Quote by DavidMW
Not correct, you still have your speaker cable running to your speaker, if thats unplugged its still the same problem a halfstack has

Yes, but people don't usually unplug it on purpose, and it usually doesn't come unplugged by itself.
Quote by Alex Vik
Yes, but people don't usually unplug it on purpose, and it usually doesn't come unplugged by itself.

Oh right, I understand what you meant now
Quote by Alex Vik

Youd be suprised, the speaker magically unlpugged itself from the actual cable in my Laney combo. (From the little clip things, no idea what they're called.) I plugged it back in, it worked for a while, a week later it totally died and the OT fried. £100 (£70 OT £30 labour.) fix.

I guess the pick gnomes wanted to try to mess with me another way...

I'm thinking the transformer on a 5 watter is going to be much cheaper anyhow.
Colin confirmed what I had always thought though; simply powering up the amp without a load shouldn't be damaging since there is no input and therefore no output. Its not until you begin to play that it starts frying things.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
ive played and recorded tube amps with no cab hooked up for a couple years now.
i know your no supposed to do it but its never did anything in terms of breaking it.