So I have my eyes on an Ibanez RGT42DXFM (Trans Grey Burst)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RGT42DXFM-Electric-Guitar-512357-i1435740.gc

Because it is possibly one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen.

A couple of things though. This guitar is $800, but has more or less the same specs as a $400 RG. The things that really draw me to it are (obviously) the finish, the fact that it has a painted neck (I hate natural finishes) and the neck through design (I loves my neck throughs). It has INF1 & INF2's instead of 3 & 4's, but I'll probably end up changing these to DiMarzio X2N's anyway, so it doesn't matter much...

I'm wondering if this guitar is really worth twice as much as any other locking trem RG. Does anybody have experience with this guitar, and does it have better quality control than the common mid range RG's? I absolutely love the way it looks, but if it's not of superior quality than it's cheaper counterparts, what's the point?

Oh, I'm also really bummed that it has a normal Edge III in it... This should really be a prestige or something. Does anyone know if I will be able to fit an Edge Zero or something similar into it in the future?
Well, it an RGT meaning it's neck through as opposed to the regular RG's which are bolt on. This is probably the largest factor in price difference between it and a "$400 RG"

I've seen a chart or something that shows which trem systems can be swapped without routing somewhere...
edit: trem swap
Ibanez Edge III route accepts -----------------------> Edge Pro, Original Floyd Rose, Gotoh LFR
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Dec 19, 2009,
I have this guitar, and intalled some S.D's (Blackouts), I also put in a OFR and now it's a beast. The only issue with the floyd is that the cavity isn't meant to have a FR in it but It worked fine for me though. Also I highly recommend that you search ebay for one, these guitars are highly under rated and are not as sought out as the prestige ibanez's. I got mine(not a flamed maple top though) with a hard shell casefor like 250 bucks on ebay! it has all the same features and has some sick looking "black pearloid-ish" looking inlays
Alright I hoped I helped!
Quote by justinb904
Well, it an RGT meaning it's neck through as opposed to the regular RG's which are bolt on. This is probably the largest factor in price difference between it and a "$400 RG"

I know it's a neck though, but I don't know if it's worth an extra $400... Hmph. I wish I could play one but I have no idea where I would find one.