I play a ton of sludge metal (Mastodon, High on Fire, stuff like that).
I know what pickups i want and wood, but i cant decide on what body style to go with.
I want something different than what i have which is strats and a les paul.
So give me so suggestions on what you all would think is cool.

Thanks

PS.
The most extreme i want to get is a classic Explorer
Fender American Custom Shop
Black Beauty Les Paul Custom
Vox AD 100
Is that really nescessary...
Vox AD 100
I like the SG shpe, but my problems with them are that they are so freaking light (i like heavy guitars) and whenever i play them standing up and i let go of the neck the damn thing falls.
Vox AD 100
Quote by sixstringmunky
I like the SG shpe, but my problems with them are that they are so freaking light (i like heavy guitars) and whenever i play them standing up and i let go of the neck the damn thing falls.

Yeah, that is a problem with them. Are you building it yourself/having it built for you? Not using a blank? Because you could make it a deal thicker/larger. Think ESP Viper?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I am building it myself, i have built two guitars before. If i could combine a Les Paul with an SG that would be ideal.
Vox AD 100
Quote by sixstringmunky
I am building it myself, i have built two guitars before. If i could combine a Les Paul with an SG that would be ideal.

I remember playing a Viper and it handled a good bit better than an SG because the body was on a slant and it was slightly elongated and slightly thicker. I think SG's sound too thin anyway. At least for what you'll be using it for. Consider beefing up the body/ building it in a shape similar to this if you like the SG shape.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
That's pretty cool as well, I remember seeing them in a guitar magazine once. Reminds me of a Gretsch Duo Jet or something like that.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
you should make a thick bodied SG with a chambered body for sweet midrange. and by sweet i mean totally awesome.
I dont like hollowbodies at all. I play a really high gain, loud amp. And any time i play a hollow boddie through it there is so much damn feedback.
Vox AD 100
how about an iceman shape? I've always loved those.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
I want to keep it classic, so really its gonna be something like a gibson of some sort withouth the name on the headstock.
Vox AD 100
mockingbird.

its classic, not to out there, and imo a damn nice looking guitar.

but if i where to make a tr00 metal guitar it'd probably be a moser (pretty much any) or ironbird, warlock, ect by bc rich.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by sixstringmunky

But solid body, carved top with good electronics.
I have decided to go with this

http://www.firstact.com/Products/CustomGuitars/Gallery/Kelliher_Bill_DCLola9.aspx

I am gonna skip the 9 string part.
Dose anyone know where i can get a les paul neck, or would it be easier to build one?
Or is there anywhere that makes fretboard, i just dont want to kill the intonation and shit like that.
Vox AD 100
Body shape is such a personal thing, no way we'd be able to decide for you. I love the Telecaster shape, but just as many people hate the shape.

For metal you can always go for the classic Ibanez super strat shape..
I have 4 strat shapped guitars...I dont want another one EVER!!!
And doom/sluge/stoner metal is really heavy, and i have never heard a strat be heavy...ever! There just isnt enough wood on strats to produce that thick, fat ass tone that i drool over when i play my les paul.
Vox AD 100