I have free will!
79 56%
I don't believe I have free will
45 32%
I don't know
17 12%
Voters: 141.
Page 1 of 2
I want to say yes, but something is preventing me from doing so.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I like to think I do, but there is no way to be sure...
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by jgbsmith
define free will.

Sizzle.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I do what I want, when I want. But it just so happens that what i want is reasonable, I don't want to shoot random people for fun.

Or do I?
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

I have no free will otherwise i woulda done shit more with my life so far
* If my punctuation seems off, it's because my shift button is broken *
Yes. I could run outside naked screaming "I'm a monkey" if I wanted to, but I'd rather not.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Free will means you are in control of your actions. Other things can influence your decisions and tell you what to do but ultimately, we have the choice. If someone says to murder someone, you don't technically have to whether it is a good idea or not. So yes, we have free will.
No, there is only 3 options.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Yes, but I'm also a big fan of Jean-Paul Sartre. He's got some very interesting arguments for free will.
Quote by Venice King
No, there is only 3 options.
You could just not vote.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Well here we go again. Everything is predetermined since the opening act of thecreation of the universe. We cannot exercise freewill since our past experiences create a situation that predetermines our response and we will respond that way every time.
I don't buy it. I'd say prove it. Build a time machine let's test it. I have free will. I can't prove it anymore than you can prove predetermination.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
Well here we go again. Everything is predetermined since the opening act of thecreation of the universe. We cannot exercise freewill since our past experiences create a situation that predetermines our response and we will respond that way every time.
I don't buy it. I'd say prove it. Build a time machine let's test it. I have free will. I can't prove it anymore than you can prove predetermination.

I don't propose predetermination. I don't see how the future can be precluded as long as there is genuinely random effects in the world.
Inasmuch as all I know how to act is decided by my previous experiences in life, within those boundaries, yes.
In Soviet Russia, free will has...... oh, **** it.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by Craigo
Personally I don't believe it's possible.

Well since you have no free-will and it was determined that you would think that why should your opinion hold any weight?
Quote by Nietsche
Well since you have no free-will and it was determined that you would think that why should your opinion hold any weight?

a) I don't believe in determinism.
b) If we grant that free will is determined, it doesn't change at all how we interact socially.
Quote by Craigo
I don't propose predetermination. I don't see how the future can be precluded as long as there is genuinely random effects in the world.

I wasn't poking at you Craigo. That was for those predeterminists to follow. My life experience does predispose me to making certain decisions but I don't believe that those decisions preclude my belief in free will. Somedays I still surprise myself.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Craigo
a) I don't believe in determinism.

Well what else is there apart from compatiblism and free will?

If we grant that free will is determined, it doesn't change at all how we interact socially.

My argument had nothing to do with social interaction generally.
Quote by Jackal58
I wasn't poking at you Craigo. That was for those predeterminists to follow. My life experience does predispose me to making certain decisions but I don't believe that those decisions preclude my belief in free will. Somedays I still surprise myself.

Poking?

It's all good, I was waiting for an opportunity to say that anyway

And aye, I'm an predictable mother fucker.
Quote by Nietsche
Well what else is there apart from compatiblism?

As explained in a different post, I do not see how determinism is possible when we grant genuinely random effects in the world.
According to Cracked (seriously), they say that the area of your brain that controls basic thinking makes decisions far before your frontal lobe does, essentially removing the "free will" aspect of thinking.

Which I think is kinda crazy.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

no, my will will cost you quite a pretty penny

any offers?
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by jgbsmith
define free will.
This ^
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by LedZeppelin9345
no, my will will cost you quite a pretty penny

any offers?

depends....

how good arre you at making sandwhiches?

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
Maybe a bit.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Craigo

but are there genuinely random effects in the world or do we just not understand them?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Everyone has free will. You could literally do whatever you wanted, including murder someone, as long as you are happy dealing with the consequences.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Quote by Lemoninfluence
but are there genuinely random effects in the world or do we just not understand them?

It's been pretty well established that there are genuinely random acts in the world. You'd think after decades of research as well they'd manage to find it if there was
Quote by kyle100
Everyone has free will. You could literally do whatever you wanted, including murder someone, as long as you are happy dealing with the consequences.

Pretty much. People who say everything is predetermind are forgetting people have a tendancy to randomly go mental and start fvcking sh*t up.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
Quote by blackthought
By who? (Or should that be whom? I never quite know.)

Well people are born with a genetic makeup, then this determines the way they react to every interaction and experience. This then determines subsequent actions and experiences.

So no one predetermines everything that happens, I guess that depends on whether you believe in god or not.
Page 1 of 2