Im looking a good tube amp with a strong distortion and nice cleans. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Just so its easier to read:

- Good Distortion
- Nice Cleans
- Tube
- Combo
- <$700

My band is in the same category as Breaking Benjamin, Rise Against, RED, Three Days Grace, and Adelitas Way are, as far as sound goes.

Ive looked into the B-52 and the Valveking 212, but would anyone be able to give me some ideas and a bit more insight on what i should look further into?
Quote by Aurex
Knightmare you are the winner

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Washburn Paul Stanley Sig
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
used XXX, the new B-52 would be a good idea...new Bugera 333 (clone of the XXX)...all should be in your price range and will get you the tone you're looking for.

EDIT: I lol'd at your avatar
If you dig Rise Against's tone, check out a used Marshall JCM900 SL-X.

EDIT: Sorry, missed that you wanted a combo, pretty sure you come only get the SL-X in a head. If you want to combo for portability, a head and 2x12 is actually easier to move around than a combo, more versatile in the long run for you as well.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Dec 19, 2009,
i would say that eyebanez333 has it right. look into a used XXX or a used JSX amp. The valveking might also be a good choice because it has a wide range of tones. one thing i would suggest though would be to get a 6 or 10 band EQ so you can get perfect sound out of your tube amp.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Traynor YCV50. tube 1 x 12 combo, 50w, right in your price range. Good thing about this amp-tube bias is automatic, so you can change tubes without having an amp tech set the bias. This feature saves loads of cash over the long run, and trying out different tubes to get sound you want is easy. Good reviews on it, I own one and think they are great.
I own a vk 212. It kicks ass but I have to use a BBE crusher distortion for extra treble cuz vk's low on it. But probably only cuz the speakers suck. I suggest u plan on changing them. But then the VK will kick ass.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Valvekings kick ass if:

Speaker swap
Overdrive pedal boosting the amp
EQ Pedal
Tube swap

Valvekings are insane if:

You do all the above and change the output transformer.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Valvekings kick ass if:

Speaker swap
EQ Pedal
Tube swap

now imagine if you instead buy an amp thats better than a valveking, and then do all those things with that amp.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Well I have quite an arsenal of pedals. Last year for xmas I got all three of the hardwire distortion pedals (Overdive, Metal, and Valve Distortion), ive got an EQ pedal, and ive got all that other good stuff. So the distortion doesnt have to be heavy, cuz i can always add to that.

Ive heard mixed things with the VK. Would it be good even if I didnt swap out the speakers and tubes? I am capable of doing that stuff, but I just dont have a ton of free time to donate to modifying everything. So something i could just plug in and play would be preferred.

The B-52 ive heard nothing but good things about. I have played one, but only for like 5 minutes, so i cant really judge too much yet on that one.

Ive also heard that Bugeras tend to be unreliable and break pretty easy?
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by chea_man
now imagine if you instead buy an amp thats better than a valveking, and then do all those things with that amp.
Or imagine buying a Valveking USED instead of new?
Quote by Knightmare444
Well I have quite an arsenal of pedals. Last year for xmas I got all three of the hardwire distortion pedals (Overdive, Metal, and Valve Distortion), ive got an EQ pedal, and ive got all that other good stuff. So the distortion doesnt have to be heavy, cuz i can always add to that.

Ive heard mixed things with the VK. Would it be good even if I didnt swap out the speakers and tubes? I am capable of doing that stuff, but I just dont have a ton of free time to donate to modifying everything. So something i could just plug in and play would be preferred.

The B-52 ive heard nothing but good things about. I have played one, but only for like 5 minutes, so i cant really judge too much yet on that one.

Ive also heard that Bugeras tend to be unreliable and break pretty easy?
I personally could live without the tube swap, but the speaker swap IMO is mandatory. Really muddy speaker and it is really trebly. Speaker swaps and tube swaps really aren't hard to be honest. The fact that the tubes don't have to be biased makes it even easier.

The B-52 AT-112 I've heard is a great amp, and has similar (not exact) qualities to that of a Mesa Rectifier. However, it has been dis-continued, and is being replaced by the B-52 ATX series, which in turn means that the AT-112 is getting harder and harder to find every passing day.

I have little to no experience with Bugeras. The topic on un-reliability is really split down the middle. Some claim that the problem has been fixed on the new 2009 models, but some people are claiming that they have a 2009 model that has died on them.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Dec 19, 2009,
Ok well here is my next question. If i were to get the VK and do the speaker swap, exactly how difficult would it be?

And on that note would i be better off buying the 112 or the 212?
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by havocrus
Traynor YCV50. tube 1 x 12 combo, 50w, right in your price range. Good thing about this amp-tube bias is automatic, so you can change tubes without having an amp tech set the bias. This feature saves loads of cash over the long run, and trying out different tubes to get sound you want is easy. Good reviews on it, I own one and think they are great.

Listen to this man. I've wanted a Traynor for the longest time, they're amazing. Also, don't get the Valveking unless you want to mess around with it. Stock VKs really aren't that good. You may be able to find a Marshall JCM 900 or JCM 2000 combo on eBay for around that price, very nice amps as well.
I was actually looking for a DSL401 but they're hard to find. And traynors are not in my budget.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by Knightmare444
I was actually looking for a DSL401 but they're hard to find. And traynors are not in my budget.

eBay has loads of Marshall JCM combos, most in your price range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-JCM900-4501-Hi-Gain-Dual-Reverb-Tube-Combo-12_W0QQitemZ400092372883QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d275d1f93
http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-JCM-2000-DSL-401_W0QQitemZ140368019986QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20ae960212

That's only a fraction of what they have. (Most prices here don't include shipping though)
Last edited by phlip999 at Dec 20, 2009,
I actually found a tsl60 head for like $650
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by Knightmare444
Ok well here is my next question. If i were to get the VK and do the speaker swap, exactly how difficult would it be?

And on that note would i be better off buying the 112 or the 212?
Replacing a speaker is not difficult at all. No soldering required. All you do is pull off two wires (though when pulling, pull the connectors of course!) that are connecting to the stock speaker, and un-screw the speaker. You then do the exact opposite when putting in the new speaker. (screw the speaker in, clip the two wires on.)

Though when changing a speaker, make sure to match positives and negatives, and make sure to get a speaker that has the same impedance rating (ohms) with a wattage rating of equal or more of what your amp is rated (50 watts in the Peavey Valveking's case)

Get the 112. The 212 is really not worth it, as it's more expensive to mod. Personally, the Valveking is only worth it if you buy it used. Buying it new is wasting your money to an extent. However, Valveking's are extremly easy to find new, so it's won't be hard or anything.
I didnt even think of going used actually thanks. Would it be worth it to buy a VK head and just get a nice cab with it?
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by Knightmare444
I didnt even think of going used actually thanks. Would it be worth it to buy a VK head and just get a nice cab with it?
In my opinon, it wouldn't be worth it.

You can buy 112 Valvekings for $350 and lower. (usually $200), and if you mod it should come to the price of a Valveking head.

If you go used on a Valveking head, I'm guessing you'd be able to get it for $300-$400, but with the addition of buying a cabinet, it really isn't worth it in the long run.

If you're going used, a modded Valveking is an excellent choice, but in your price range I'd be on the lookout for things like a Marshall JCM (900,800, or 2000 DSL) or higher end Peavey's such as they XXX, or Ultra as they all would do the job as well.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Valvekings kick ass if:

Speaker swap
EQ Pedal
Tube swap

For the price of all that you could have just bought a good used head and probably have money left over for a set of new tubes.

I got my 2204 for $650 USD and have only spent $90 on a pair of Svetlana Winged Cs and some replacement caps.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Well if i could get one for <350 it would be great, My budget is around $700, but if i dont hasve to spend that much, itd be even better. But if this helps, my band should be doing some gigs by summer, i could get a used VK head for pretty cheap, and if i matched that to an avatar cab would i have some good sounds?
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by Knightmare444
Well if i could get one for <350 it would be great, My budget is around $700, but if i dont hasve to spend that much, itd be even better. But if this helps, my band should be doing some gigs by summer, i could get a used VK head for pretty cheap, and if i matched that to an avatar cab would i have some good sounds?
I still think your best option is to get a used higher end Peavey or Marshall.

A Peavey XXX, Peavey Ultra or a Marshall JCM 800, 900, or 2000 would nail those tones, and are all in your budget.

Most Valveking's on the used market are combo's, not heads. The <$350 price I said was for the 112 combo, not the head. The head would be more 350>.

Why settle with something lower in your price range when you can get something better?
Quote by bubb_tubbs
For the price of all that you could have just bought a good used head and probably have money left over for a set of new tubes.

I got my 2204 for $650 USD and have only spent $90 on a pair of Svetlana Winged Cs and some replacement caps.
I know that. However, that's why you buy the Valveking used.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Dec 20, 2009,
Well i just found a JCM2000 TSL60 head on ebay for $600. I think im gonna pick that up as soon as xmas is over. My bandmate has an extra avatar cab in his closet collecting dust. So combo, head it doesnt matter to me really
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by Knightmare444
Well i just found a JCM2000 TSL60 head on ebay for $600. I think im gonna pick that up as soon as xmas is over. My bandmate has an extra avatar cab in his closet collecting dust. So combo, head it doesnt matter to me really
I'm personally not a fan of the TSL series. Try to look for a DSL. They are less muddy and more clear I find.

Where do you live? USA I'm guessing? If so, seriously, take your pick.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=marshall+jcm&_sacat=See-All-Categories

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=peavey+xxx&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=peavey+5150&_osacat=0
oh thank you
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
I'm personally not a fan of the TSL series. Try to look for a DSL. They are less muddy and more clear I find.

Where do you live? USA I'm guessing? If so, seriously, take your pick.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=marshall+jcm&_sacat=See-All-Categories

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=peavey+xxx&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=peavey+5150&_osacat=0

This. Used DSL 50s are damn good.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.