when i got my rogue beater, the first thing i did was change the strings to martin silk and steels. the sound improved greatly, and it actually sounded like a yamaha solid top. this was pretty impressive because the rogue doesn't have a solid top.

well, since my husband ordered me a go-guitars walnut grande for christmas, and he loves the tacoma dread he got as a beater too much to use it as a beater, i gave him my rogue. the first thing he did was to change the silk and steel strings for d'addario phosphor bronze 10s, which usually sound good.

what a noticeable change! and i don't mean for the better. we had gotten used to the rogue sounding good while using the silk and steels, and suddenly it's a bit tinny, definitely quieter and has a hint of metallic tang.

tomorrow i'm going to change the silk and steels on my parlor for a set of nashville tuning strings, and i hope that they sound okay or i'm changing right back
Silk and steels are one of the most mellow-sounding strings available for steel-string acoustics, while phosphor bronze are brighter, so the change isn't unexpected. Your Rogue probably also has a fairly thick soundboard, which wouldn't resonate as well with a brighter string. You can warm it up further with rosewood bridge pins.
Hi, I'm Peter
Hey patticake, how do you find the tuning stability to be with the silkies? From my own experience, they hold their tune better than any other string I've tried, and I've run the gamut of strings let me tell ya.
I have a yamaha acoustic that sounds wonderful with silk and steel strings. Very nice sound and easy to play.
Quote by patticake
so far, very stable. tuning is rock-solid. i wonder why that is...

I haven't a clue, just that they are. Oh, and one other tip when first stringing up a new set of silkies. You want to be more gentle with the wound ones when it comes to the stretching step. You don't want those silk fibers snapping prematurely. I got this tip from a longtime guitarist friend of mine, and it makes perfect sense.