On a day that looks like this:

I thougt it'd be a good idea to do a NGD I've been putting off...

A while back I got a Valve Junior that was in pretty bad shape. Poor modding by the previous owner, and poor repair-work by me had really screwed it up. I sent it out to a fellow UGer here for repair and some mods. I got it back yesterday and it is a beast now. It has a totally different gain structure, with a lot more character. I asked for it to be brighter, clearer, and more gain. He accomplished all 3, and in the meantime it completely changed the sound of the amp. Up until about halfway on the volume knob it sounds pretty stock, with a bit more definition. Then as you begin to saturate the tubes it really comes to life. Tons of mids, and a really nice bite to it. Maxed out it is pretty gainy, with more of a scream than a crunch. It has a great lead tone without any boost or anything. Anyway on to the pics.

The VJ with its 4x12 and the Bassman with its 2x12.

The board.

Where the magic took place. (Don't ask me what exactly he did, I have no clue.)

Then I also have an A/B switcher pedal that I made for about $30, and it works pretty well. It adds some noise but not too bad.

You won't be seeing a gutshot of that because its pretty embarassing. I did really well on the 3PDT and all the jacks, but the LED leads are really nasty looking. Good thing they're not actually in the circuit. Its also pretty big, oddly enough I unknowingly bought the same enclosure the Memory Boy is in.

Anyway, that's all... For now. I'll leave you with a family shot.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Dec 19, 2009,
Congratz Brother!!
I tried to do a clip earlier but my audacity closes everytime I hit stop for some reason. I only have a crap computer mic anyway.

Thanks guys, I always love posting some pr0nz.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
How is the Memory Boy?
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Here's who did it, and what he did, according to him. He forgot to mention he put a JJ 12ax7 in the preamp.
Quote by Roc8995
Replaced most of the preamp resistors with metal film, bumped up the gain on both stages, a much higher cathode bypass cap on the first gain stage. Wirewound resistors in the power section and mallory 150s for the coupling caps. Oh, and a red volume knob.

Claude: Yes, it is. Its not bad, the Lady Lucks are a little dull. But that's partially because I'm used to V30s. I prefer the aggressiveness of the v30s, but for mellow stuff the Lady Lucks are actually pretty nice. The cab has a good low end, though a little loose as are most cheap 4x12s. The VJ doesn't really have a big low end, though so its not really noticeable unless I throw the Bassman on there.

BTW the two in stereo with the VJ running hot =

Edit: I like the Memory Boy, it has a nice subtle sound to it. My only complaint is the modulation never seems to turn all the way, but that's easily controlled with the blend knob. The modulation is actually somewhat useful too. A slight chorus on top of a nice slapback really thickens the sound. Its a little too 'synthy' but not by a lot, and again the blend knob can tone this down.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Sounds great. I mean I bet it would sound great if I could hear it

Try updating Audacity, reloading it or getting Reaper eval.

Happy New Stuff Day

I may do that tomorrow if I'm bored. I've realized how useful an A/B is in hearing tonal differences too. Its really weird switching between the too. The Bassman is a very round, smooth chimey sound, whereas the VJ is all balls, mids and treble, with a pretty tight little thump to the low end.

Thanks guys. BTW Colin gets an A+ all around. He was very prompt, professional and VERY reasonable, and obviously the work speaks for itself. (Literally, the VJ is 'speaking' volumes.) If any of you have the opportunity to have him do some work for you take it.

Colin: Thanks again for everything, as I said before feel free to browse Craigslist in the Baltimore/DC/Eastern Shore/Delaware areas, and I'll handle pick up and shipping on anything you may want.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
SWEET!!!

I see a few open spots on you're board. what goes there? :p
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
SWEET!!!

I see a few open spots on you're board. what goes there? :p

Two things that are gonna give me damn near unlimited drive choices, when coupled with a clean/dirty amp set-up.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I think someone needs a round of applause?

Colin?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Colin?

Well, obviously! You didn't do anything... apart from pack it...

non-patronizing to both tube and roc!
Sweet! I've always wanted to get one of those to mod but I'm not sure I trust my modding skills

HNAD!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you'd like me to mod one, I can pick one up locally and mail it to you, so you'd only pay shipping one way.
Otherwise, the mods aren't terribly hard to do and I'd be glad to help you along if you'd like. I really should have done a picture tutorial when I did this one.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I was going to say, video tape it and I'll buy a VJ and mod it.

Seriously. Awesome stuff.

Do it... This thing sounds huge. I can only imagine what its gonna sound like boosted with Brett's OD. It likes the big muff pretty well though.

I really was expecting to get the VJ half useable as a backup, but I would have no problem playing out with it, except headroom. I'm starting to think I may look into upgrading the choke/transformers in the future as Colin said that would have the biggest impact on tone. I can't imagine what it would sound like with some nice transformers on there.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i always wondered something: could you re-amp the VJ through one channel of an amp (like a Bassman) and use the other channel for cleans, switching with an A/B box? that way, you could get the VJ much louder and also you'd only have to use on cab, right?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
i always wondered something: could you re-amp the VJ through one channel of an amp (like a Bassman) and use the other channel for cleans, switching with an A/B box? that way, you could get the VJ much louder and also you'd only have to use on cab, right?

Wouldn't you need an effects loop for re-amping? I am probably wrong, I don't know much about it, just a general idea. And how complex would a effects loop mod be?

Damn, I'm gassing for a 5 watter now. I cranked my Mesa's clean channel to 10 and loved it for some vintagey tones.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
For reamping, you could run the VJ into an attenuator and then the attenuator into one channel of the bassman. You'd need an A/B switch before the VJ with a cable to the other channel, but I think that would work. At that point the VJ is just a really big overdrive pedal though.

Tube, upgrading the output transformer might be a good idea if you like the amp, but upgrading the choke is not (on account of the VJ doesn't have one)
Quote by Roc8995
For reamping, you could run the VJ into an attenuator and then the attenuator into one channel of the bassman. You'd need an A/B switch before the VJ with a cable to the other channel, but I think that would work. At that point the VJ is just a really big overdrive pedal though.

Tube, upgrading the output transformer might be a good idea if you like the amp, but upgrading the choke is not (on account of the VJ doesn't have one)

Reamping is not really an issue guys; the VJ is loud, especially through the 4x12. The volume difference between the two is very slight, whats most noticeable is the lack of low end from the VJ which isn't a big deal.

Colin, I had a feeling I was gonna put my foot in my mouth with that statement. The only way I even know the term choke is every time I referred to a transformer to my other tech he corrected me 'actually its a choke.' So the only thing I would want to upgrade would be the OT? Before I was reluctant to put the money into a $100 amp, but after hearing it now I think I will definitely be doing that eventually. I guess you may be reunited some day... Not until I recover from xmas presents and too many bar runs though, so it could be a couple months.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Right, the power transformer doesn't really effect tone, so you can keep that. The OT will make a big difference.
Quote by Roc8995
Right, the power transformer doesn't really effect tone, so you can keep that. The OT will make a big difference.

Cool, you may hear from me in the next couple months. Now start mass producing these VJs, I think they would sell like hotcakes.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
To TS: As I wrote in your profile, this is very interesting since I was thinking to buy a VJ at some point. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to have it modded exactly like you since I am not in the US... nonetheless, I really look forward to hearing your clips! It would at least show me if there's potential in that amp, and I could think about getting it modded locally.
Ibanez JEM 555 > Line 6 POD XT Live > Behringer MS16 Monitor Speakers

"Asked us if we were happy, we said we didn't know...
Took us by the hands and up we go..."

Italians do it better.
Hey tubetime86 how loud is the bassman. I got a 100 also but have to turn it up to 8 or o to overpower drums. What about yours?
how loud is the bassman??? seems i have to get mine to 8 to overpower drums. Does that sound like somethings wrong?
do you live in the Arctic?

A Bassman 100 has almsot nothing in common with the silverface that dan owns.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AGAINSTMEandyou
how loud is the bassman??? seems i have to get mine to 8 to overpower drums. Does that sound like somethings wrong?

yes.

but you could make a new thread about it, more people than dan own bassman amps.

maybe it's time for a re-tube on your bassman.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
WTF?

Againstguy: I answered you in your thread hours ago... No need to bump this.

Min: I have a Bassman 100... But I guess you're thinking of the new bass one, I have the silverface one. Also look at the date on this thread and you'll understand the pics.

Gregs:

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
lol. ya i was looking at the fender site. everything is a bassman!!!!@?!@@!#!@
but ya I got confused because the new bass ones are bassman as well.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
lol. ya i was looking at the fender site. everything is a bassman!!!!@?!@@!#!@
but ya I got confused because the new bass ones are bassman as well.

Ya Bassman 100s no less. Sometimes I see the new bass amps for cheap and get all worked up, then see that its the SS bass amp.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!