Afternoon UG,

I'm refinishing an old Yamaha EG112 I had laying around the house collecting dust and with my christmas break at my parents' house I've decided to refinish it. I'm Doing the red white and black frankenstrat finish but replacing the red with green, like so:

Here's what I bought to finish it with. The two whites are first to prime then for the white coat and the two clears is just in case. I've decided to chemically strip it because I only have ten days to complete this project.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this is my first refinish ever so corrective criticism is much appreciated
If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

My Green Frankenstrat Refinish

Hardest part of painting your guitar?
Convincing yourself that the over-sprayed areas and dust stuck in the finish add "character".
Last edited by pencil364 at Dec 20, 2009,
ooo. i like. its original yet classic and recognizable.

and it just looks wicked awesome. that too.
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
Thats a cool guitar
but ha i love both of your guys sigs, the rifle and the troops.
Very nice sigs and nice project!
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Now the fun begins, the finish remover is on (first coat)

Note the space heater. The Canadian winter is vicious!

Convincing yourself that the over-sprayed areas and dust stuck in the finish add "character".
nice canadian tire money
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
dude, swap the black and the white round, then it's all negatives of the original :P
I've discovered paint stripper takes a bloody long time Jesus Christ. Im so anxious to get my tape job going...

I know these cheap yamahas arent very round. I had one too. What you could try before you really start painting is smoothing the edges to give them a rounder shape.
Quote by divinorum69
Do it the manly way and sand it off.

I agree. Its also not as messy or dangerous, and theres no waiting for chemicals to work. With an electric sander of some sort it can also go pretty quickly
Impossible is Nothing
Quote by Darkdevil725
I know these cheap yamahas arent very round. I had one too. What you could try before you really start painting is smoothing the edges to give them a rounder shape.

yeah I intend to for sure. The only problem is I only have seven days left to finish this and clear coating alone will take four or five of those. I'll probably take a jigsaw to the horns quick to round them out at very least

If you have an electric sander it could take only about 20 or so minutes at the most. But yeah, that clear coat will eat up your time.
Alright. I've finished sanding the body to the point where I simply don't feel like sanding anymore. All the paint is off and there's only a few imperfections in the horns and one dent on the back but whatever I can deal with that. I rounded off alot of the edges and brought the horns in a little because the yamaha version is very square. Here's some pics of the body:

Primer soon!

Smooooooooooooooth...now that looks like a strat!
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Rocktron Metal Planet Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
man you have mangled some of the lines of the guitar near the edges....you can clearly see where it has been over sanded
Quote by superstang01
man you have mangled some of the lines of the guitar near the edges....you can clearly see where it has been over sanded

did you not read?
he rounded it so it's more strat like, the yamaha was a bit square for his liking
Quote by Bigsteve92
did you not read?
he rounded it so it's more strat like, the yamaha was a bit square for his liking

I've also decided to continue sanding, a friend of mine has a spindle sander so that will substantially help the roughness inside my horns. All I want to get done tomorrow is the sanding and the primer coat so I'll be putting more work into the over all sanding job too.

thats not what i ment.....there is like...areas on the bottom that are a little over sanded, there is flat spots within the rounded edge.

only reason i brought it up is so you dont go through it all and paint it then notice it!
Mornin UG,

Since my last post the guitar has been primed, sanded, and has its black coat on. I just finished taping it off but one of my cans of white bitched out on me and I'll need to go get another before I paint this coat. I decided not to use any ripped edges so all edges are cut. Here's some shots of the tape job, I've got a few hours to wait so tips are well welcome.

the finish looks good n smooth, especially the back, keep going man you're doing a great job!

HELLO!

Lol thanks savage, I've always wanted to be a hero!

By the by, here's the white coat on. I'm having a bit of an issue trying to figure out if gloss green is okay but I think I'm gonna do it anyway.

Tape the neck pocket!!!

I made this mistake. Now my neck won't fit and I have to sand a few layers of paint down.
i can't tell but did you leave the tape on the guitar, if not you're going to have a lot of time putting them on again, because you'll have to cover them up then do the white, lines then spray that over
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Thats cool I wanted to do that since I go to Michigan State and our school colors are green and white. But I'm doing something else instead.

It looks like those regular cans of paint are working real well for you, no? Any tips to using them evenly and whatever tips you have?
Quote by R45VT
Tape the neck pocket!!!

I made this mistake. Now my neck won't fit and I have to sand a few layers of paint down.

Lol no worries it's taped it's just a super nice tape job I promise

Quote by dougl126
It looks like those regular cans of paint are working real well for you, no? Any tips to using them evenly and whatever tips you have?

Use an actual primer as your primer coat. I used a satin finish white to prime with and it worked HORRIBLY. Use something actually labelled primer. Use flat paints. Also, don't expect the first coat to completely cover the guitar to the point where no color shows through. With the krylon paints that I use you can do a light coat, wait a minute and then do another one without drips. I must have ten coats of each color at least. When you lift your tape make sure you sand the burrs off of the edges of the paint with fine grit (600-1500) sandpaper just to help the finish stay flat.

Invader Jim has a great thread on painting with spraypaint:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778432&highlight=invader+jim+spray

Evening UG,

The paint portion is done. All that's left is the hard parts (clearcoating, sanding, buffing, playing, dropping, fixing, lighting on fire, giving to grandkids). Overall I'm extremely happy at how everything has turned out so far and it has certainly been a learning experience so far. If you've got any questions feel free to ask.

Looks really good, I like it better than the mockup!

Be careful wetsanding, and use plenty of clear. The first two times I painted a guitar, I did not use enough clear, or maybe sanded too hard, and sanded right through one color coat to the next, and it looked horrible. Idk if you've painted a guitar before, but maybe try to practice on some scrap first to be safe
Impossible is Nothing