So, last night, after picking up a 1960A for a good price (thanks craigslist!), my buddy and I decided to go play around on some stuff at the nearby Guitar Center.

To my delight, I found a Diezel amp in stock there. Thought it'd be fun to try one out since I've heard lots of good about them, not to mention, they're not too much cheaper than my car

So I plugged in and turned it up...oh my!...it was the most heavenly tone I've ever heard come out of an amp! I was both thrilled by that, and weeping on the inside, due to how much one costs, and the fact it had just ruined my Mesa for me, lol.

So I guess the point of this thread then, is, is there anything that sounds even remotely like a Diezel that's not as expensive? How are ENGL and Framus?

Thanks for any input
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
a Benzin MTS module
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
a used deizel?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
ENGL has a nice distortion, very "unique". I haven't found another amp that could get the same tone. Not that's the best out there, but it's very nice. To get cleans from an ENGL You have to spend a lot because the powerball and the fireball dont have that nice cleans IMO.

The Framus has nice cleans and very decent distortion, but I would take an ENGL for the price You get a Framus and it sounds better.

For a Diezel, well....it's a Diezel. Amazing amps, the cleans are very good, something like AC30 (not so bright, a little warmer) and the lead channel OMFG...the lead channel alone it's worth the price tag man. It's amazing.

For any of these amps, or any amp above a "certain" price, You get a "brand-sound" and it's just a problem of choice
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard
haven't tried framus. i've only tried the vh4, but the engls i've tried sound very different, i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the input guys

Dave_Mc, how would you compare the ENGL to a Deizel tone-wise? I've always wanted to try ENGL's out, but I've just now finally found out about a place not too far from me that carries them, so I might have to take a trip soon to do just that
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

There's really nothing that sounds like a Diezel. They're based off of past designs but with Peter Diezel's twists. The guys got a great ear.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
There's really nothing that sounds like a Diezel. They're based off of past designs but with Peter Diezel's twists. The guys got a great ear.

I'm gonna have to second the MTS module. The Benzin custom-made will nail that tone, and if you wait until next month, Randall is unveiling it's own official Diezel module
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Diezal has a tone unto itself. It puts out some of the most extreme gain ever, but manages to keep it clean and separated.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by FlightofIcarus
Thanks for the input guys

Dave_Mc, how would you compare the ENGL to a Deizel tone-wise? I've always wanted to try ENGL's out, but I've just now finally found out about a place not too far from me that carries them, so I might have to take a trip soon to do just that

i'd say they're fairly different, almost opposite (in high gain terms), in fact. I can only go by the vh4 i tried, but i've tried several of the engls (and own one), and the engls are fairly bright and very, very tight, whereas the vh4 i tried had a much deeper tone, more lower mids, i assume, kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I find the distortion on ENGL amps to be a cross between Mesa and Marshall. Deep and dark like a Mesa, but grainy and sharp sounding like a Marshall.

I've never played a Diezel, but you might want to try something from Hughes & Kettner. They have a really great sounding distortion and are priced lower than Diezel.
Bogner is another German amp maker, though they are expensive, but he quality of tone is up there with Diezel.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
bear in mind that although reinhold bogner is german, i think he makes his amps in america. Nice amps though, and probably better value in the states. they're really dear here.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
bear in mind that although reinhold bogner is german, i think he makes his amps in america. Nice amps though, and probably better value in the states. they're really dear here.
Yeah thanks, I'm aware of that, but I don't know what his exact history is in terms of location origin. I would say his amps voicings are closer to that of German amps, then American amps though.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
possibly, aye. i've only tried the shiva (which is fairly marshally) and ecstacy (which is a bit of everything)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
possibly, aye. i've only tried the shiva (which is fairly marshally) and ecstacy (which is a bit of everything)

And then the Alchemist is supposedly based off early Mesas, according to the Guitar World article on it....it was created to try and capture that "California" sound. Take what you will from that, I immediately thought "early Mesa".

He's a diverse builder, I like that.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
possibly. I think the duende is meant to be fendery, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd say they're fairly different, almost opposite (in high gain terms), in fact. I can only go by the vh4 i tried, but i've tried several of the engls (and own one), and the engls are fairly bright and very, very tight, whereas the vh4 i tried had a much deeper tone, more lower mids, i assume, kind of thing.
Yeah, I've heard ENGL amps have very, very tight response as you say. I've heard the Fireball is sort of like a 5150/6505, but with a better clean channel and slightly smoother distortion. But I've also heard some people say they don't cut through very well in a band situation too. What would you say about that?
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Dec 21, 2009,
youd have to try out an engl. i've found it to be a love/hate amp. i have no real opinion on it though, since the powerball i tried couldn't be turned up past 3 for sake of not being kicked out of the store
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Yeah, I've heard ENGL amps have very, very tight response as you say. I've heard the Fireball is sort of like a 5150/6505, but with a better clean channel and slightly smoother distortion. But I've also heard some people say they don't cut through very well in a band situation too. What would you say about that?

not much, i'm not in a band. I've heard lots of people say that they don't cut, and lots who say they do. So without having any personal experience, i dunno.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?