Thread title says it all. Should we simply ignore rehabilitation for all criminals, should it be for some minor offenders, or should all criminals attempt to be rehabilitated. Explain your reasoning.

Personally I think that all criminals, even if they were Albert Fish, should attempt to be rehabilitated. Otherwise, you're basically saying you don't care about progressing society. Even in the cases where it would almost certainly fail, on principle alone we should try it.
An habitual criminal is not going to be rehabilitated. They will continue the vicious cycle of "gone to jail, no job, steal, go to jail."

Education at the source is the key. We should prevent before the child commits the crime. Educate on the consequences of crime. Make them go into that situation.

Sure you won't hit the psychopath, but you'll hit the criminal who never thinks about it.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
I think Mind control works well here. Rather than spend the time and money teaching them, we mind control the rules into them. If they were to try to break the rules, they would suffer incredible amounts of pain.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Quote by KiraIBZ
I think Mind control works well here. Rather than spend the time and money teaching them, we mind control the rules into them. If they were to try to break the rules, they would suffer incredible amounts of pain.

I hope you aren't serious.
I'm not saying one thing about it. After what happened in another thread last night with a similar situation, I'm done with this kind of stuff in the pit.
Quote by KeepOnRotting
I hope you aren't serious.

Of... course I am...

<.<

>.>

<.<
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Why try to rehabilitate them? We can just lock them up and pretend that punishment will change people's ego/mental problems. If they mess up when they get out, we will throw them back in jail. If it doesn't work the first time, it's definitely going to work the second time.
Quote by metal4all
Why try to rehabilitate them? We can just lock them up and pretend that punishment will change people's ego/mental problems. If they mess up when they get out, we will throw them back in jail. If it doesn't work the first time, it's definitely going to work the second time.
Are you serious? Hard to tell sarcasm over the internet.
Quote by guitarhero_764
Are you serious? Hard to tell sarcasm over the internet.
I was definitely being sarcastic. I was hoping "pretend" would give it away.

I wish I believed that sarcasm to be truth. That ignorance would let me be retard-happy.
They could always send "the dog wheesperer" to prisons to rehabilitate people.
Obviously Fassa.
Why bother with rehabilitation when we could just have them all killed? OK maybe we don't have to kill them all ... how about a 10 strikes and you're out rule?

I don't believe in second chances (or 11th chances either apparently).
Man shouldn't have to live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise
I think their should be a specific government group that can assess wether the probability of rehabilitation would be majorital or not in every single individual. Psychologists, therapists, mental behaviour experts and whatnot would be able to give an answer as to how probable it is for a certain offender to be fully rehabilitated. It would be optimal if the offender would be willing to undergo the program. They could make the person go through many counselling seances and psychiatric therapy. As well as possibly be given medication if it is truly needed, in that case the person would probably be deemed to have a mental disorder of somekind.

Maybe this already exists. I don't know, it's just something I pulled out of my ass and threw out there to see if it could fly. I barely scratched the surface though, the process would be much longer and much more complicated. And it would probably cost lots of money also.