So I just purchased a used PRS custom 22, 2001 yesterday. It has a tremolo system.. so while I was playing Cliffs of Dover, the low e string started 'bending' while I was bending the high e string. (so I was playing the first two notes of the song..) I did not do anything to the tremolo bar, and even if I take it off all the strings change pitch or are 'whammied' if I bend one string. Please help me out, I have no clue what's wrong.
Tighten up the springs/add more springs
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
that is what they call a floating bridge. the pull of the strings and the springs in the trem system keep the bridge "floating" right in the middle.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
That's absolutely normal. It's just the way floating bridges are. You see, what happens is the string tension increases, pulling the bridge down towards the nut (a very slight dive) making all the strings lower in pitch slightly.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
It's actually called 'tremolo sag'. It's simple physics really.
When you bend the high e string, it's applying force (of the 'pull' variety) to the tremolo. This will make the tremolo start to dive down in the tiniest bit, but it's still very noticable with open strings.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by gwitersnamps
Tighten up the springs/add more springs

Is 4 springs enough? I tried to tighten them, and I don't think it worked..
Also, the pitch is going down a half step, when I bend a string. I really don't think that it should be that huge of a difference.
That's normal.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The only way your going to get rid of this side effect of floating trems is to either block it or get a tremelo-no, tremsetter or similar installed.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso