I just got a used black Russian Big Muff
I use it with a 9V adapter plugged to the battery pins
the pedal sounds good with my small tube combo but it hums

One of my friends recommended to solder a 1000uF 16V electrolytic capacitor on the adepter so it will cancel the noise from the adapter , this didn't help the pedal still hums

is this normal ?
Typically when you use a 9V adapter connected straight to the battery clip like that it's very noisy. The only way around it is a well regulated power supply
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Define hums.
A Muff is going to add extra noise just because that's what fuzz does to your sound.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
Define hums.
A Muff is going to add extra noise just because that's what fuzz does to your sound.

Sounds like a power transformer hum more volume I add on the pedal the more it hums
however it I can't hear it when I play

interesting thing is when I tried the Guitar rig software the muff effect had the same hum in the software so I guess it's suppose to be that way, maybe I should get a noise gate ?
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's a pedal which increases the gain. Your guitar is creating the hum, and the pedal is amplifying it.
To decrease this hum, try shielding your guitar. There are multiple guides on the internon how to do this, including guitarnuts.com

my guitar is shielded and I'm using noise canceling pickups that should not be the case
I have the 808 overdrive and it is dead silent