Page 1 of 2
So since i hate being tied down with cables, ive always been thinking of getting a wireless unit of somesort. So im asking how reliable they are? and I mostly play bass guitar, so does it still work good for bass? and also, what kind of wireless units do you suggest?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks
There are wireless units for bass but to get zero tone loss u will pay a lot of money
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard
Use a damn search bar. There are about 5 threads that come to mind that fit your criteria.

You don't need one, bottom line.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Are you playing huge ass stages?
Are you playing large venues?
Are you in a serious gigging band?

If you answer yes to all of these questions (which I highly doubt), then get a wireless system.

Don't bother if you say no to any of these questions.

And like someone said, expect to pay at least $700 (and I mean at the very least), if you expect a wireless system that doesn't suck tone.

EDIT: TS, sorry. I didn't see your questions. Wireless systems are only reliable if you get a good one.

I imangine that it will work for both guitar and bass. I don't see why not, especially when they are called instrument wireless systems implying that they work for all intruments.

I'd take a look at Shure Wireless systems (the higher end ones).
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Dec 19, 2009,
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Use a damn search bar. There are about 5 threads that come to mind that fit your criteria.

This right here is the exact reason people feel alienated on forums and are hesitant to post things. You should be ashamed when a person is just asking for help. There is no rule that prevents a person from asking something. You know sometimes you get newer, better, and different opinions and examples than what can be found in older posts on the same subject. I've actually been interested in a wireless option myself and personally don't think there's enough discussion on the subject at on this forum. Just my 2 cents and I hope you find a good unit. You know if you find a good wireless option unit, you better post back in here with pictures and overall opinions if you don't mind. Good Luck!
whether your playing wembley anytime soon or not is irrelevant. i understand how convenient it would be to just go wireless

but as the first reply said, zero tone loss aint gonna be zero cash.

thats why people like metallica go wireless, but the majority of small bands dont.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Supermansdead81
This right here is the exact reason people feel alienated on forums and are hesitant to post things. You should be ashamed when a person is just asking for help. There is no rule that prevents a person from asking something. You know sometimes you get newer, better, and different opinions and examples than what can be found in older posts on the same subject. I've actually been interested in a wireless option myself and personally don't think there's enough discussion on the subject at on this forum. Just my 2 cents and I hope you find a good unit. You know if you find a good wireless option unit, you better post back in here with pictures and overall opinions if you don't mind. Good Luck!

No. They could also use the search bar. Seriously. This question is so overly asked.

Also, I've given a good 30 minuets of my time to answer these questions, and I get pissed when people ignore the post that already has loads of answers just to post something because they think that there case is extremely different.

TS, unless you're playing gigs in situations where you're needing monitors just to hear your band mates because the stage is so far apart, then you don't need a wireless system.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Last edited by Weeping_Demon7 at Dec 19, 2009,
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

this is untrue. there are like 500 threads that all say "YOU DON'T NEED WIRELESS UNLESS YOU ARE PLAYING ARENAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

search bar = useless.
Quote by JohnFrusciante6
this is untrue. there are like 500 threads that all say "YOU DON'T NEED WIRELESS UNLESS YOU ARE PLAYING ARENAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

search bar = useless.
You just proved that the search bar is useful.

Lets say I was intresting in a wireless unit, and searched it up.

I then find a thread explaining that I don't need a wireless unit.

I then invest my money in something actually beneficial to my needs such as a pedal, a new amp, or guitar.
Quote by JohnFrusciante6

search bar = useless.

Which is a legitimate answer to his question =P Just because it's not positive doesn't mean it isn't true.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
yeah but who are you people to tell someone that they don't need something?

not everyone wants a wireless unit just to do backflips on stage. there are other reasons why i would invest in one.. i mean really if anyone has any info on a decent $300ish unit.. it would be nice to get some help. don't be a jerk, no holiday spirit?
Just because ppl say that someone doesnt need it doesnt mean he'll give up on wanting one. If he wants one and can afford one, go for it. I would love one but prefer to spend my cash on other stuff. Keep ur search man. But u better understand that You will spend a lot of money, and I mean a lot.
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard
Quote by JohnFrusciante6
yeah but who are you people to tell someone that they don't need something?

not everyone wants a wireless unit just to do backflips on stage. there are other reasons why i would invest in one.. i mean really if anyone has any info on a decent $300ish unit.. it would be nice to get some help. don't be a jerk, no holiday spirit?
There's no such thing as a decent $300 wireless unit. You can't skimp out on a wireless system. If I played a USA Custom made Jackson through a Soldano SLO, but then skimped out on my wireless system, I would loose a lot in my tone.

The TS asked for advice, and he got it. We are only suggesting the best case scenario, if he doesn't like what he's being told, he doesn't have to listen to it. Advice is only effective if one chooses to listen to it. If I had a Marshall MG, and said that I dis-liked my tone, and was asking for what pickups I should get to fix my tone, would you still suggest new pickups or suggest a new amp?

No one said that a wireless unit is only good for backflips/wild guitar/bass spins etc. Wireless units give you freedom, and can be extremly useful when you have a good one.

However, at the same time, wireless systems just aren't worth it if you are at a small/medium venue because the bonuses of a wireless system (freedom is the main reason a wireless system is nice) are negated due to a small stage, small venue, etc. This is why wireless systems are useless unless you're playing big venues IMO.
wow i missed a lot cuz i forget even asking about wireless units haha. Well thank you for the advice, i will deff take it all into consideration. For now ill stick with my cable and maybe in the future if im dying to get a wireless unit i will
Fuck you people are ridiculous sometimes. Instead of just answering his question you just assume he doesn't need one and flame away.
If the search bar was used everytime before a new thread was made GG&A would hardly have any new threads.

/minirant.
I have a $300+ wireless unit I got for christmas a few years back. I hate it. Its a digital reference brand. I completely realize that $300 is not a lot for a wireless unit, but after spending that much on one, I cant imagine what the ones cheaper than that sound like. Lots of tone loss. Yeah it sucks tripping over cables or what not, but the amount of gain I lose by using a wireless is ridiculous. Thats why I just buy a really long high quality cable. I use a 25 foot cable and I dont think I'll ever go back to wireless. It sucks. Everything has to be perfect. The antenna has to be in the right spot, the gain has to be at the right spot. The internal switch on the transmitter has to set to the right channel depending on what location your at. Its WAYYYY to much work. Its so much easier to plug in a cable and be done with it. Regardless if you play arena's or not. Who cares. In my opinion, cables are the way to go.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
Last edited by CkY freak at Dec 23, 2009,
Quote by consecutive e
Fuck you people are ridiculous sometimes. Instead of just answering his question you just assume he doesn't need one and flame away.
If the search bar was used everytime before a new thread was made GG&A would hardly have any new threads.

/minirant.

I knew you'd get there eventually.

You get a gold star!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by CkY freak
Cheap unit.

Saying that wireless sucks because yours was cheap isn't really much of a point. If you get the right one, and have people helping you pick the right one than you can enjoy the freedom. If you read your manual and play around you'll be fine, as long as its a decent unit.

Quote by consecutive e

If you don't have nothing to add, don't comment. If the person has the money than they are entitled to blow it on the unit.
Quote by ShallowEndings
Saying that wireless sucks because yours was cheap isn't really much of a point. If you get the right one, and have people helping you pick the right one than you can enjoy the freedom. If you read your manual and play around you'll be fine, as long as its a decent unit.

If you don't have nothing to add, don't comment. If the person has the money than they are entitled to blow it on the unit.

Then they have no business coming to a forum asking for other peoples help. They want my opinion, they got it.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Attenuator thread - take 2!

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Then they have no business coming to a forum asking for other peoples help. They want my opinion, they got it.

You haven't provided one good answer. You've been arrogant about the whole thing. Use the search bar - we have MG and line 6 questions daily, and i don't see you busting their balls and saying use the search bar.

Yes ok, you might not need one. But when you have the money and your keen on the idea than why not? As long as you have someone to point you in the right direction than who cares if your not playing in an arena.
Quote by ShallowEndings
You haven't provided one good answer. You've been arrogant about the whole thing. Use the search bar - we have MG and line 6 questions daily, and i don't see you busting their balls and saying use the search bar.

Why the hell would you even enter a thread with Spider or MG in the title? You already know it's going to be awful.

Quote by ShallowEndings

Yes ok, you might not need one. But when you have the money and your keen on the idea than why not? As long as you have someone to point you in the right direction than who cares if your not playing in an arena.

You're right. I should, but then I realized. It's not going to change anything. But even still.

That's like asking this forum what pickups to get even if I have a Marshall 10W MG. The answer is, you need a new ****ing amp.

Getting a wireless unit will suck his tone. It will destroy it. There's no getting around that unless he's willing to pay lots of money for one.

You're doing far more harm by encouraging a stupid purchase that the TS will regret later, assuming he has a proper ear for tone.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Getting a wireless unit will suck his tone. It will destroy it. There's no getting around that unless he's willing to pay lots of money for one.

You're doing far more harm by encouraging a stupid purchase that the TS will regret later, assuming he has a proper ear for tone.

It wont suck his tone as long as he gets a good unit. I don't see any harm in the X2, its the best wireless unit for its price. How would he regret it when he has the chance of actually testing different units out, i mean everyone says to try before you buy and wireless units aren't any different.. Don't be so ignorant if you don't know what your talking about.

If he gets sick of it than he can sell it, obviously. Not everyone wants to buy a wireless unit so they can wave around and say they don't have cords.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
No. They could also use the search bar. Seriously. This question is so overly asked.

Also, I've given a good 30 minuets of my time to answer these questions, and I get pissed when people ignore the post that already has loads of answers just to post something because they think that there case is extremely different.

TS, unless you're playing gigs in situations where you're needing monitors just to hear your band mates because the stage is so far apart, then you don't need a wireless system.

Dude, why don't you calm down and answer the question. He didn't ask if he needs one, he asked what kind he should get. So chill out.

I don't know much about them, but don't cheap out.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Last edited by fender4482 at Dec 24, 2009,
Quote by Ruff Stuff
Screw wireless. Vox coil cable ftw.

This is a post I can stand behind.

Quote by ShallowEndings
It wont suck his tone as long as he gets a good unit. I don't see any harm in the X2, its the best wireless unit for its price. How would he regret it when he has the chance of actually testing different units out, i mean everyone says to try before you buy and wireless units aren't any different.. Don't be so ignorant if you don't know what your talking about.

If he gets sick of it than he can sell it, obviously. Not everyone wants to buy a wireless unit so they can wave around and say they don't have cords.

Ok. I'll take this from the top.

Firstly. You don't understand. Wireless Units that aren't expensive suck your tone!

This is the cheapest wireless unit that I have come across that sounds good.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sennheiser-ew-572-G3-Pro-Inst-Wireless-Sys?sku=620157

Is that worth the money, though? Hell no it's not. That's 850USD that costs more than most peoples amp.

And then you say if he doesn't like it, he can sell it. Yeah, and loose 25-75% of it's original price.

TS, don't do it.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by fender4482
Dude, why don't you calm down and answer the question. He didn't ask if he needs one, he asked what kind he should get. So chill out.

Piss off. I've already got one person down my back. You can read my replies and then respond.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Bullshit

Are you done?

And as for the guy who posted a quote of yours a few posts up:

"They could also use the search bar. Seriously. This question is so overly asked."

Its overly asked because no one gives a good reply, or any reply for that matter. Instead they have idiots like you who come in and tell them off.
Quote by ShallowEndings
Are you done?

"They could also use the search bar. Seriously. This question is so overly asked."

Its overly asked because no one gives a good reply, or any reply for that matter. Instead they have idiots like you who come in and tell them off.

No, it's overly asked because they don't use the search bar to find the dozens of other threads we've told them off in. Otherwise they'd realize asking the question is pointless and will just start a flame war, much like the one that is going on right now.

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Piss off. I've already got one person down my back. You can read my replies and then respond.

Don't ****in' tell me to piss off, your the one in the wrong here, and you know it. You came to this thread and completely went off topic. As I previously stated, he didn't ask if he needs one, he asked what kind he should get.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Last edited by fender4482 at Dec 24, 2009,
Quote by ShallowEndings
Are you done?

I gave them great advice. Seeing as how that's the reason they're on there. I've come across wireless units.

Do you know how in cities, certain bands play and come up on the scene together? I am in a band that gigs in the same circle this metal band. I know the guitarist and this guy is a complete retard. He thinks he can make a Ibanez Toneblaster 150X into a tube amp, stuff like that.

Anyways, he traded his Windsor head in for a wireless unit, and it sucks. I told him it would suck, and it does.

See where I'm going? He should have taken my advice, but he didn't got his ass ripped off because of it.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

^ Don't even try to talk to them anymore - it's just going to get you a warning and they're clearly too stubborn to listen to you.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
No, it's overly asked because they don't use the search bar to find the dozens of other threads we've told them off in. Otherwise they'd realize asking the question is pointless and will just start a flame war, much like the one that is going on right now.

Its not pointless. Why should any of you be entitled to post if your just telling people not to use wireless. There is nothing wrong with it. You have no right to fill up a thread with comments saying you don't need it. They ask for help, you either give it or **** off. Saying it sucks isn't help.
Quote by fender4482
Don't ****in' tell me to piss off, your the one in the wrong here, and you know it. You came to this thread and completely went off topic. As I previously stated, he didn't ask if he needs one, he ask what kind he should get.

I'll say what I want. I'm not wrong. I'm giving my opinion. You're giving bad information, enticing the TS buy something that other people are advising him not to get for reasons otherwise stated.

He asked which one he should get.

Fine I'll answer his question.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sennheiser-ew-572-G3-Pro-Inst-Wireless-Sys?sku=620157

That would be the cheapest.

But this is the one that most pros use.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-UR14S-Bodypack-Wireless-Instrument-System-?sku=270886

But wait! He doesn't need that because

1) He can't afford it.
2) He's not a pro
3) He's not playing gigs close enough to even warrant getting one.

Piss off.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by ShallowEndings
Its not pointless. Why should any of you be entitled to post if your just telling people not to use wireless. There is nothing wrong with it. You have no right to fill up a thread with comments saying you don't need it. They ask for help, you either give it or **** off. Saying it sucks isn't help.

K then. I'll start a thread wondering what practice amp I can get to replace my Marshall halfstack.

They have no business saying for me not to do that, they just need to recommend me a practice amp, dammit!
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Page 1 of 2