I've been looking for a new acoustic just to kick around with recently and had pretty much zoned in on Martin dreadnoughts after trying out a ridiculous amount of guitars over the past six months, all makes, models, and prices (some of you may have read my other thread questioning the quality of the Martin HPL). I really just wanted something that I could beat on around the house and at open mics and stuff, and maybe kick around the studio, but I also rarely find a guitar that I really like in terms of playability and sound, which is so important to me, so I was open to spending some decent money on it if I had to.

Luckily I didn't have to. I had found a Martin or two at the store that I thought sounded decent, one of which was $900 or so and the other about $3,200, then decided to try out a few of the Taylors I hadn't played yet since they had quite a few. I tried three or four with the same results, played pretty well but not at all the sound I was looking for, then I randomly spotted this 110 in the corner that I hadn't noticed. It was only $599 so I didn't expect much, but it was a dreadnought with a sitka spruce top and sebele laminate sides (a combo I hadn't tried yet), and surprisingly it was the closest sounding guitar to what I was looking for, not to mention it played very well. I took it to a private acoustic room and was even more impressed with the sound, so considering the price, I just bought it.

It seems to be a perfect fit. It was cheap so if anything goes wrong with it or I wail hard on it like I'm sure I will, it's no big deal. Everyone was saying "solid wood, solid wood, solid wood", but you know what? It sounds good, it plays great, it's cheap as hell, why not? I don't care if it's made out of cardboard as long as it does what I need it to.

Last edited by PSM at Dec 19, 2009,
Beautiful guitar, I love Taylors.
HNGD
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Quote by PSM
It sounds good, it plays great, it's cheap as hell, why not? I don't care if it's made out of cardboard as long as it does what I need it to.

Quoted for truth. Nice guitar!
Quote by GC Shred Off
Quoted for truth. Nice guitar!

Thanks, man. That's the way I see it anyways. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized that my bizarre (at least to some people) taste in acoustic guitar sound probably stems more from the type of music I play on an acoustic. I prefer very different acoustic sounds depending on what style of music I'm playing and the mood I'm going for, but the songs I play and the music we write lends itself to that strong mid-range projection type sound without to much chiminess or warmth, which are often both coveted by full-time acoustic guys.

I also need to get these damn Elixir strings off the guitar. They always feel so greasy. What a terrible feeling. Good sound, terrible feel.
Last edited by PSM at Dec 19, 2009,
Awesome! Glad you like your new purchase.

I took the liberty to stick your thread as the Acoustic of the Month for December/January...hopefully you don't mind!

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by roamingbard13
Awesome! Glad you like your new purchase.

I took the liberty to stick your thread as the Acoustic of the Month for December/January...hopefully you don't mind!

Haha, I came back in the Acoustic section and was like, "Where the hell did my thread go? Did I do something stupid to get it erased?"

Thanks, man. I don't mind at all. And greetings from a fellow Nutmegger.
HNGD! Nice to see you found one that fits your taste

Oh, and...

Quote by PSM
It sounds good, it plays great, it's cheap as hell, why not? I don't care if it's made out of cardboard as long as it does what I need it to.

sig'd for the truth of it and it applies to me
Quote by PSM
we all say solid wood because it ages the best.

taylor guitars in generally are very well built, save the baby/big baby.

it's only that they are laminate, but hey, i also looked at the 110/210/ all taylor models before i went for my guitar.

glad you like yours and congratulations. hope that axe brings you endless hours of fun like the rest of ours do.

Edit: i'm also glad you didn't go for the martin hpl. based on my research (basically reading on the forum and google) hpl is pretty much crap for what they're charging
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Last edited by about at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by about
we all say solid wood because it ages the best.

taylor guitars in generally are very well built, save the baby/big baby.

it's only that they are laminate, but hey, i also looked at the 110/210/ all taylor models before i went for my guitar.

glad you like yours and congratulations. hope that axe brings you endless hours of fun like the rest of ours do.

Edit: i'm also glad you didn't go for the martin hpl. based on my research (basically reading on the forum and google) hpl is pretty much crap for what they're charging

Yeah, it was that HPL reputation on the Martin that was keeping me at bay. And it's not like my search is over. I just really needed something that sounded and played how I want it to for now while I continue the quest for that "perfect" acoustic for me, which I know I'll find eventually; it just may take a very long time. For now this 110 will keep me happy.
Taylor Pr0nz is so rare around here! The 110 is the beginner guitar that is a step above the other beginner guitars, I love it. nice buy, man.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce