Page 1 of 2
OK FIRSTLY, this is not a debate thread trying to cause arguements.
SECONDLY, i did use the search bar

So im primarily a guitarist, have been mucking around on a friends bass a bit lately and am now gonna make the leap to learn bass.
So the thing i want to know, Will playing with a pick hold me back at all?
I will be playing metal and metal only

Thanks
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
Quote by xblack_sabbathx
OK FIRSTLY, this is not a debate thread trying to cause arguements.
SECONDLY, i did use the search bar

So im primarily a guitarist, have been mucking around on a friends bass a bit lately and am now gonna make the leap to learn bass.
So the thing i want to know, Will playing with a pick hold me back at all?
I will be playing metal and metal only

Thanks

In this case, i don't think it will hold you back, but if you really want to learn bass, you might wanna try without. If your just switching for a little bit 'cause your bandmates forced you to, then just use a pick
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
Quote by xblack_sabbathx
Will playing with a pick hold me back at all?
Depends whether you will be playing exclusively with a pick or not. If yes, it's a possibility, even if you only play metal. You should use the technique that creates the sound you prefer.

stratkat
yeah..well i think im going to go with a pick, might end up learning to use fingers but not at this stage.
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
Using a pick is just a different technique, you won't be any worse off then someone who uses their fingers exclusively. While I would say that any well rounded bassist should at least know how to use both a pick and their fingers, using only a pick should not be detrimental to your learning
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by TheTortured
learn fingers and pick. they'll both help you out.

I wouldn't say that using only a pick is going to make you an inferior bassist, but learning fingerstyle will definitely make you a better bassist.

More tools at your disposal can only help you.
Experiment. Using a pick is just a means to an end. Listen to other bass players (both pick and finger players), and determine what kind of a sound you want.

a bit unrelated. But it's nice to see that so many people have stopped bashing pick players, I remember just a couple years back in any forum bassists would insult pick players. It's good to see that more players are using their heads these days.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Since you play metal, if you plan on playing a lot of blisteringly fast 16th-note runs, a pick may be the way to go. It is one reason why so many metal players use them. It also gives you a more aggressive sound, but you may need to tone the dynamics down a bit with the judicious use of a compressor.

Go with what sounds and feels right for you.
Personally I think you should use your fingers.
Using a pick will hold you back because it will be too hard to think of it as another instrument. You'll end up just playing the root notes of guitar lines.

Start from scratch with your fingers and work it up to an acceptable degree. If you don't like it, you know you can always fall back on the pick, because you should already be quite proficient with it.
Metal....use a pick. Both are good techniques, i like finger style but i find i can use finger style for any genre, if you want smooth playing then picks are deffinately NOT good, but since youre only doing metal then there is no need to learn finger technique, its generally helpful but for metal you dont need it
Q: What's the difference between a Mexican standard tele and an American standard tele?

A: £600
Funny this question should come up: I was thinking today of how playing with a pick is actually difficult in case of some tricky stuff. Justin Chancellor's lines are perfect examples of this because they are really difficult using a pick (and, in some cases actually easier with the fingers). With complicated mid tempo lines such as Justin's, using a pick can be difficult. Picks are great for really fast 16th note tremolo style playing, e.g. Tom Araya/Frédéric Leclercq. But I'd advise you to develop both styles. Then use as per requirements of tone or speed.
Learn both, and then use the one with the tone that sounds better to you. I play mainly metal, and I only use my fingers, and it sounds badass!

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by Casketcreep
Using a pick will hold you back because it will be too hard to think of it as another instrument. You'll end up just playing the root notes of guitar lines.

see? we do still have close minded bassists here. usually i use a pick, mainly for tonal purpose. but does it hold me back?? no. your playing style doesn't effect your creativity. the only reason he would end following root notes is because he decided to himself, rather than thinking up a complex bassline that doesn't completely follow the guitar. it's HIS choice to do that. not his fingers or his pick. i also use fingers sometimes still, but it doesn't make me anymore creative than i would be using a pick
Well said roundwoundsound. If anything I'm more creative when I'm using a pick.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Symphony, mind elaborating as to how it will hold TS back?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Vampire 255
Symphony, mind elaborating as to how it will hold TS back?

nah, he's got nothin'
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
I think that playing metal with a pick is all about how fast you can play with your fingers and how fast you need to play. I hate the sound of a pick for my songs. And if I can't play fast enough, like if we hit 4 notes on the same fret, then I'll just cut it in half so I just play 2. Still sounds good, keeps me from having a bad sound [ in my opinion.] But I've found that 95% of the time, I can keep up.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Using a pick has nothing to do with it being metal. Cliff Burton, all fingers. Using a pick just gives you a different attack. I wouldnt say sticking to just a pick will hold you back but I would learn both. Just as in guitar you can finger pick or play with a pick. It more depends on the sound your going for. It has nothing to do with speed or a music genre. You definitely cant slap with a pick, only draw back I can think of.
Play what accomplishes what you need to do. If you need the pick sound, use a pick. If you need the finger sound, use your fingers. If there's a discrepancy between the two skills, use whatever is necessary to create the best line.

Plenty of bassists use both depending on the song.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
a lot of metal bassists use picks but it will sound similar (i think better) if you learn to use your fingers
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
LEARN TO SLAP!!!!

I joke, but like many people have said, diversify. Learn it all and use what is needed at a specific time.
Gear

Fender Lite Ash Tele

Satellite 65/T

Yamaha RBX375
I find it in metal that my sound often get very clacky when I use my fingers, in a not good way... The pick sound is much more grindy and defined, so for the metal genre I'd always prefer a pick. But some finger players can hold it down in metal, technique-wise, however those who does that with success often have a very smooth tone, opposed to the grindy aggressive sound coming from the usage of a pick
Baaaaaaazz
Quote by roundwoundsound
see? we do still have close minded bassists here. usually i use a pick, mainly for tonal purpose. but does it hold me back?? no. your playing style doesn't effect your creativity. the only reason he would end following root notes is because he decided to himself, rather than thinking up a complex bassline that doesn't completely follow the guitar. it's HIS choice to do that. not his fingers or his pick. i also use fingers sometimes still, but it doesn't make me anymore creative than i would be using a pick

Actually, he has a point. It isn't because it's a pick, but because it's playing the same way as a guitar. Forcing yourself to play as differently as possible makes you really treat them as different instruments.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
When I pick my bass I use a knife, 'cause it's the only way to make picking look bad-ass.

I'm not kidding either.
Ask yourself, what bass tone does this song require?

You can only get a certain sound picking and, likewise, using your fingers. I suggest you learn both.
signature
use your fingers, its much faster and more accurate and i play mainly metal aswell, picks give the bass a really bad sound, another word of advice, i've noticed that many guitarists that transfer to bass have really bad left/fretboard hand technique, try not to bend your hands to far or you will get CTS.
Quote by fumb duck
use your fingers, its much faster and more accurate and i play mainly metal aswell, picks give the bass a really bad sound, another word of advice, i've noticed that many guitarists that transfer to bass have really bad left/fretboard hand technique, try not to bend your hands to far or you will get CTS.

My dad got CTS and had to stop playing bass, it really sucked for him, so DONT do that!
I'm quite sick of these threads, it won't hold you back...

Edit, at Fumb Duck, the tone a pick gets can be quite awesome. There's this little band called Tool, their bassist has a really awesome tone most of the time... Y

The problem is a lot of picking bassists chuck distortion and shit on at least in metal.
I am me. Live with it.
Last edited by DeAd-RiP at Dec 23, 2009,
I personally am a finger/slap guy but whatever works for you man. I asked Victor Wooten (if you don't know who he is go look him up on youtube and be amazed) this very question recently at one of his bass clinics and I am going to rip off his response: "Just as long as it grooves". At the end of the day groovin' is all the matters, do whatever you must to in order to accomplish that.
Last edited by Hgtcore3 at Dec 23, 2009,
Quote by fumb duck

Berry Oakley refutes this post.

Mountain Jam ftw!
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Use a pick if you like the tone. That's completely subjective.

Take the time to get your left hand technique down correctly for bass. I didn't do this when I started playing and now i have permanent(minimal but permanent) damage to my left wrist. Your elbow will be farther from your body to keep your wrist straight. Fretting fingers should be parallel to the frets or close to it.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by BrandonWeir
Using fingers is for black people.

Spamming dumb comments is for little kids. And bots...

Whatever you feel like playing with, or whatever gets you the best tone. You don't necessarily need a pick for speed, because with enough practice, you can develop your fingerstyle technique to obscenely fast speeds. Like pretty much everything in music, it's the individual's preference.
My heart beats in 4/4, not the other way around.

Do your part. Join TVTropes.
Page 1 of 2