Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone, been lurking for a little while reading the reviews here. I just started playing guitar again after a few years and needed to buy some gear. This is how it begins...

College - Epiphone LP Special / Marshall MG10CD
----This did not rock.

College-Graduation Present - Gibson Les Paul DC Pro / Line Six Spider III 30W Combo
----One of these decisions is not like the other.

I'm a wiser man now...I think...

Hello Headphone Out!

Sometimes Ebay clicking is not your friend.

I was sad this didn't have an mg or spider sounding amp model : (
But then I just cranked all the dials to the right and it sounds pretty close.

Now we're rocking!! I spent an hour in the sound vault at guitar center thinking, "so this is what a guitar is supposed to sound like"

Now I need some cable management and shelving help.

Here are the other kids.

Thanks for Looking!
Nice. I'm a big fan of Vox amps. Also, I've always thought the Les Paul DC's were a pretty amazing beast.

No pedals though?
Gear:
Agile Septor Pro 727 EB Nat Ash
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 Head
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
please say your not running that windsor through the HT5 cab?

your gonna blow it

but part from that, nice collection
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Can I get a better pic of that LP DC, by the way?
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Where's the other half of your Macbook Pro!?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Holy compulsive spending Batman!

That's a very cool rig you have right there. Please tell me you run the HT-5 & the NT in stereo with the NT running at a just nice and fat breakup point

I also love the windsor, fantastic amp.

But I was highly disappointed there weren't more LP DC pronz
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Moar pics of Les Paul plz!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
you asked for it....guitars gone wild featuring Gibson's very own redheaded step child. Actually I don't even know what this is since I no longer have the booklet and Gibson denies ever making these things on their website.

Rootbeer brown with a flamed top of some kind

Never got around to getting a replacement switch head

TWO CUTS

Look at that Hourglass figure

This one gets some weird symbol instead of a name

This is an ovation legend bought from craigslist. I really have no idea how it sounds compared to other acoustic guitars...the ladies seem to like the sound it produces

The two guitars out of that batch that I take to lessons are a Epi Les Paul Standard and a Ovation Celebrity. Bought both of them used...much better then carrying my other two all over the place.

As for the Macbook. It was dropped on its head at some point during a hazy senior year of college. The screen was cracked along the bottom edge. It was actually working fine until I tried to fix it. Now it no longer has a head. The rest of the computer is now this:

So this gear odyssey goes something like this:

I bought the Vt15 thinking I would just play around with some amp models and figure out what tone I liked. The second I got home, however, that tube bug got me and a single preamp tube just wasn't going to cut it. Now, the amp has some amazing sounds and I'm keeping it around when I play with my buddies. But, when its power is rolled back with the power switch on the back all the way, it sounds like the speaker is actually a paper towel roll.

So then I bought the Blackstar, which again is pretty terrific. Everything really necessary for a studio/practice amp. Headphone out, emulated speaker out, lots of knobs and a well voiced 1X10 which is voiced for practice (allowing some good tone to come out at low volumes). But, I took it to my local amp shop and we opened it up and...

There's a crap-ton of things going on on this board and only 2 of them are tubes. Granted the headphone out and speaker out are not available on a pure tube circuit. Yet, it is hard to see on the board where the tube signal gets picked up by a ss chain. Unless, the speaker, isf, and tone controls only captured the signal right before it hit the speaker out...there's a lot of solid state shenanigans going on here.

So I spent a week looking at amps instead of practicing and decided that I would buy some amps that I could play and figure out some tones then sell them and trade up to a boutique amp if I thought that was necessary.

The Peavey head was purchased because it was 200 shipped on eBay. It's ONE HUNDRED WATTS! I mean it's 600 times louder then 15 watts, just in case. I might sell it although I read that they are very modifiable so it might be a project amp to tinker with before I look at some kits to build.

So I think currently I will go and a/b a dual terror with the vox as soon as my local shop has them in stock. I have another 1X10 coming, which works surprisingly well with the Night Train. It keeps it much quieter at the same control settings then the 4X12 I played at GC. I have a 4X12 8412 Marshall Cab as well on its way. I hope I don't get evicted.

No one talk to me about pedals yet. Please. Man's gotta eat next month.
Nice stuff!
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I want that doublecut Les Paul so badly.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Doublecuts make me happy.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Talk about a spending spree. By the way, 100watts is not 600 times louder then 15watts
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
wow realy dont need all of those amps y not just find one of two u like and sell the other onse for some pedal money?
That DC is amazing. The only thing that sketches me out is those tuners. I always thought that type of tuners would crap out pretty easily. Could be wrong, though.
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by AcousticMirror

The Peavey head was purchased because it was 200 shipped on eBay. It's ONE HUNDRED WATTS! I mean it's 600 times louder then 15 watts, just in case. I might sell it although I read that they are very modifiable so it might be a project amp to tinker with before I look at some kits to build.

So I think currently I will go and a/b a dual terror with the vox as soon as my local shop has them in stock. I have another 1X10 coming, which works surprisingly well with the Night Train. It keeps it much quieter at the same control settings then the 4X12 I played at GC. I have a 4X12 8412 Marshall Cab as well on its way. I hope I don't get evicted.

No one talk to me about pedals yet. Please. Man's gotta eat next month.

It's not even twice as loud... 100watts = twice as loud as 10watts.

I hope you're not running the HT-5 cab with the Windsor?

HNAD!
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Last edited by LezPaulEpiphone at Dec 20, 2009,
That's the first DC I've liked.
Nice gear
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Whats your verdict on the Windsor? I've played one before, but couldn't get a nice clean tone out of it, but was great for those old school rock sounds.
Apparently if you switch the First preamp tube out from an 12AX7 to a 12AT7, you can get nice clean tones, but a it has a bit less gain.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
I'm still waiting for my 412 to come so I can actually use the amp. I had it plugged into the blackstar 100 for about 10 minutes with the volume and gain nobs not past 2 or 3. I bought it from ebay and the seller had replaced the stock tubes with jj's. I'm going to open it up right now to see whats actually in there. But atm no comparison to the night train's cleans. The windsor starts to distort really easily even when with 2-3 on the volume and gain.

Tuners on the DC are alright. I've never had locking tuners and they feel nice. All my other guitars have the metal tuners so the plastic or whatever it is feels nice at least.

On the topic of buying too much stuff, I never even took pictures of all the stuff I've returned ; )
O.o

I call troll on this.

No one feels the urge to spend that much after getting back in the game after a few year.

Pony up TS, you never really stopped playing did you?

Nice gear btw.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
That DC LP is gorgeous. How dare you set my GAS off like that when I'd decided how I'm spending my money
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by ragingkitty
O.o

I call troll on this.

No one feels the urge to spend that much after getting back in the game after a few year.

Pony up TS, you never really stopped playing did you?

Nice gear btw.

I started playing again after 7 years and between a couple of guitars, a new head, effects pedals and a custom cab I've spent almost 6 grand in the last 8 months.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I started playing again after 7 years and between a couple of guitars, a new head, effects pedals and a custom cab I've spent almost 6 grand in the last 8 months.

Fair enough, but you have 2 amp and 2 cab.

Our TS here has 4 amps in the span of a month

Could have spent on 1 massively good amp.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Fair enough, but you have 2 amp and 2 cab.

Our TS here has 4 amps in the span of a month

Could have spent on 1 massively good amp.

You're smiley is the exact same reaction my parents have whenever they visit me. Lol

I mean you are absolutely correct. I could have saved up and spent all that money on good amp. But which amp that is is hella subjective.

Personally, I don't like spending a lot of money on one piece of gear unless I'm sure that it's what I personally want. Granted the money I spent on my DC could have probably been better off spent on something else but I love it so I'm ok with that.

I'm definitely planning on selling all of this stuff down the road and buying a higher end tube amp. but I haven't had a chance to listen to any of the amps that are supposed to be awesome, except what they have at GC. I don't like going to Remorseville

I just finished out swapping some tubes in the night train. You guys interested in hearing some pentatonics at various settings?
Quote by AcousticMirror
You're smiley is the exact same reaction my parents have whenever they visit me. Lol

I mean you are absolutely correct. I could have saved up and spent all that money on good amp. But which amp that is is hella subjective.

Personally, I don't like spending a lot of money on one piece of gear unless I'm sure that it's what I personally want. Granted the money I spent on my DC could have probably been better off spent on something else but I love it so I'm ok with that.

I'm definitely planning on selling all of this stuff down the road and buying a higher end tube amp. but I haven't had a chance to listen to any of the amps that are supposed to be awesome, except what they have at GC. I don't like going to Remorseville

I just finished out swapping some tubes in the night train. You guys interested in hearing some pentatonics at various settings?

I just personally think its more a matter of need vs wants.

Hell I want a Mesa RoadKing II, a Mesa Dual Rectifier, a ENGL Fireball 100, a Fender Twin-Reverb, a Soldano SLO-100 an AxeFX Ultra, a Mesa TriAxis Preamp, a Mesa 2:Ninety poweramp, with two 412 cabs (one made of Koa and the other made of pine).

Sad to say I don't have such a rig, but it'd be awesome IMO. I don't dispute that when you have the money to burn, it becomes so tempting to get every amp for that 1 sound you can get out of this.

In fact, I think this would be the prefect situation. Sad to say that I know it will be a waste because between 2 amps (Krank Rev Jr Pro vs MkV), I only tend to switch my Mesa on these days and use it for all my needs.

I suppose once you figure out the amp you want for all your tones, you can probably build your entire tone on that one amp.

Well at least you got the gear off fleabay, so at least the resale cost have been absorbed by the first user.

I hope you have pre-tube change and post-tube change clips.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Fair enough.
But, the MV5 is worth more then all the gear I have right now and the krank is not cheap either. They are definitely upgrades from a 15w tiny head thing. I just don't know if its x amount of dollars better. I can definitely say with a fair amount of certainty that my dc is not 3 times the amount of tonal guitar awesomeness as a 600 dollar lp studio. If I could go back and do it over again I would have gotten the studio and used the other money on a mesa rec. I'll do some recording tomorrow. Neighbor rage is bad.
Ah, don’t get me wrong.

What I am highlighting is that having more than 1 amp doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll get more tones, more to say that when faced with the decision of a few amps, I tend to veer back towards 1 amp that has most of the tones I will use. Just that for me, I find that the Mesa MkV has most of the tones I am most likely to use.

Also more money =\= more tones.

If you can make a 20 watt amp sound good, is it then necessary to go out and buy a 100 watt version of that amp. I’d say no.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Meh, I'm with you TS. I like having a bunch of different amps to tinker with myself

Gratz.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by ragingkitty
Ah, don’t get me wrong.

What I am highlighting is that having more than 1 amp doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll get more tones, more to say that when faced with the decision of a few amps, I tend to veer back towards 1 amp that has most of the tones I will use. Just that for me, I find that the Mesa MkV has most of the tones I am most likely to use.

Also more money =\= more tones.

If you can make a 20 watt amp sound good, is it then necessary to go out and buy a 100 watt version of that amp. I’d say no.

Of course that makes perfect sense. I've always been more of a sound/music making person rather then say strictly a guitarist though. So, now that I've actually started doing research into amps I've got more questions then answers. So in terms of tone what if I need an amp that has great pre-amp distortion for some songs but also great power amp distortion for other songs? Different tube classes don't sound the same either and I don't know if I want to settle with el84s, el34s, 6l6s, 6v6s and what not. That's not even counting the different preamp tube configurations. The THD univalves seem great in that regard but I don't really want to have to retube my amp multiple times during a session.

My dream amp might be a 60 watt head running 4 of every tube and a switchable ss/tube preamp section and ss/tube rectifier. But at that point I might as well just have something like 4 amps.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Of course that makes perfect sense. I've always been more of a sound/music making person rather then say strictly a guitarist though. So, now that I've actually started doing research into amps I've got more questions then answers. So in terms of tone what if I need an amp that has great pre-amp distortion for some songs but also great power amp distortion for other songs? Different tube classes don't sound the same either and I don't know if I want to settle with el84s, el34s, 6l6s, 6v6s and what not. That's not even counting the different preamp tube configurations. The THD univalves seem great in that regard but I don't really want to have to retube my amp multiple times during a session.

My dream amp might be a 60 watt head running 4 of every tube and a switchable ss/tube preamp section and ss/tube rectifier. But at that point I might as well just have something like 4 amps.

That amp is gonna be like 8 feet long lol.

Alternatively... have you tired the Peavey ReValver it allows you to go to the detail of changing tubes in amps and even determining it they are early break up or low gain etc etc.

I personally like to have one amp hold all my tone.

The only thing about the THD's is that they tend to have a very Brit voicing IMO.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
600 times louder? Who told you that? The basic rule of the thumb is that it takes ten times the wattage to be twice as loud.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
no it's definitely 600 times louder. You can test it by putting your ear right up to the speaker and playing a c chord. Make sure to crank everything to 11 first.
Quote by AcousticMirror
no it's definitely 600 times louder. You can test it by putting your ear right up to the speaker and playing a c chord. Make sure to crank everything to 11 first.

Thanks a lot man... You'll be getting a call from my health insurance provider.
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by Jsteele1408
Thanks a lot man... You'll be getting a call from my health insurance provider.

Good luck calling anybody man...
I mean you win internets you've successfully killed sarcasm.
Page 1 of 2