What does ultimate guitar think of the Lonestar strat?

-Alder Body
-Maple Neck
-Rosewood Fretboard
-2 Texas Special single coils
-1 Pearly Gates Humbucker
-5 way toggle
-MIM

I love it. [=
Mexican Strat with certain more upmarket appointments, most notably the pickups. Very good guitar if you can't quite stretch to the USA models but don't like retrofitting things, even if that is a niche.

Why do you ask?
I just got this guitar and was wondering what UG's impression of it was. :]
Just bought a brand new mim dlx lonestar fat strat and I'm really liking it after setting it up perfect and adjusting the pups just right. Mine is the sunburst... what color did you choose?

I set the texas specials down close to the body... not flush, but about the thickness of a heavy gauge pick above for the middle and maybe a tiny bit more for the neck... at an angle with the treble sides a little higher than the bass sides... they sound sweet and respond very well... I didn't like them at the factory settings. I keep the pearly gates just bit higher up...

How do you like yours?

EDIT: I may convert it too sss someday, but I'm going to mess around with this for a while and maybe try some other pups... I've never had a fat strat before.
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Dec 20, 2009,
I really like mine, though I'm in the process of modding it because as good as it was, it wasn't exactly perfect right off the shelf. You need to play around with the pickup height a lot to get them balanced and responding properly, the stock pots are terrible, the stock tuners aren't anything amazing, the nut is of course just a cheap plastic nut and the bridge is... not good. In fact I'd say the bridge is below the quality of the bridges used on CV Squier models. It's also got some ****y measurements; I'm in the process of replacing it with a Wilkinson bridge that is spaced for the traditional screw placement and I'm having to fill in the old screw holes and drill entirely new ones because the stock bridge has unusually narrow screw placement.

Right off the shelf, it's a solid guitar; you're getting a MIM Fender with much better aftermarket pickups. But I wouldn't dream of gigging it without full modding.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I really like mine, though I'm in the process of modding it because as good as it was, it wasn't exactly perfect right off the shelf. You need to play around with the pickup height a lot to get them balanced and responding properly, the stock pots are terrible, the stock tuners aren't anything amazing, the nut is of course just a cheap plastic nut and the bridge is... not good. In fact I'd say the bridge is below the quality of the bridges used on CV Squier models. It's also got some ****y measurements; I'm in the process of replacing it with a Wilkinson bridge that is spaced for the traditional screw placement and I'm having to fill in the old screw holes and drill entirely new ones because the stock bridge has unusually narrow screw placement.

Right off the shelf, it's a solid guitar; you're getting a MIM Fender with much better aftermarket pickups. But I wouldn't dream of gigging it without full modding.

Well that's just lovely, the one thing I did want to do was replace the bridge and nut. I was thinking of maybe ordering a Wilkinson too... now I'm kind of worried about that. I'm afraid of the new screw hole placement overlapping the old holes.

I wonder what would be the best replacement bridge?
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Dec 20, 2009,