Page 1 of 3
Im getting an electric near christmas and I dont know anyone who plays who can show me the basics, do you think off youtube vids and hours and hours of practice you can get the hang of it????
No.
It's Impossible,
No One Has Ever Done It Before.
NRANNHLEILR
OETYSI LRNYS
TATOENYSGM
HLENEGMNRA
IL RENRAOET
NYSCOETTAT
GMAATATHLE

To me. Try, you know you want to^

Puberty
Quote by Will Swanson
I was surprised the first time I came. It shot two feet into the air. I couldn't stop laughing.
I like to think it's worked for me. I didn't even have youtube vids because I had dial-up when I first started playing.

EDIT: Oops, I mean, yeah. Impossible.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Yeah you can. Buy some books too. Also, do you have a local music store that gives lessons? Or look in the paper, I would suggest the classifieds. Or you could ask around. Especially if you are in school
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
hell yeah!! I'm living proof!!! 'cept i still suck

Its gonna take more than hours and hours though. More like years and years
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.

*Sigh*

Are your powers of deduction that bad?
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Guitar for Dummies to get started worked perfectly
Then just pick up on tabs =)

Edit: Preeeety dumb question bro haha
I was mostly self taught up until a couple of months ago (i did have a couple of lessons ages ago but it was all very basic) and it showed me just how much i didn't actually know after roughly 5 years of doing it myself and what techniques i need to work on.

So yes it is possible to teach yourself and you can develop your own style that way, but a guitar tutor certainly helps, if they are good that is.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
dude it is impossible to learn alone, you have to pay tom hess $1000 a month if want to get good.
learning yourself takes longer, obviously. but alot of people do it.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
i taught myself... and after almost 3 years i think im doin decent. never had a lesson in my life. learned most songs by ear and tab...
just make sure u learn about key, and scales and chords... its killin me that i only know the basic major chords (a-g) and some of the minor chords and that i dont know a lot of scales... yadda yadda yadda... its up to u though. lessons wont hurt to jump start your playing. but its your call
For the first 4 years I was self taught, picking up some things along the way. I think I'm okay but that is not enough for me. I feel the need to be the best I can be so now I'm taking lessons and learning the theory that you really do need.

Also, pick up a music DVD by a guitar hero of yours. Very helpful.
My favorite is Mark Tremonti: The Sound & The Story.
Originally Posted by happytimeharry
Your avatar is creepy, yet incredibly hypnotic...

I do what I can

Originally Posted by FiNNi
@AlterEdge: On a side note, I laughed when I noticed pedobear was your avatar

Me too... me too...
Last edited by AlterEdge at Dec 19, 2009,
I learned guitar all by myself, no teacher no nothing, and, I ain't half bad for only playing for a little over year so far.

EDIT: Get a chord book too
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Last edited by MusicMan24 at Dec 19, 2009,
i'm self taught. i'm a techinically proficient bassist, but i know little theory. i'm getting lessons soon as i'd like to learn theory. also, playing with other people will also get you a lot better
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
'tis possible friend, but first, you must find the magical axe of gibson, for without it, your self-teaching skills will lack subtlety, and you will crash and burn into a large pit of carnivorous plants.
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Marty Friedman is self taught. He says that learning things from others only limits yourself.. He's words are LAW.
...What!?
Look up all of the lessons and basically everything else UG has to offer... including the tabs of course.
This will start a RIOT! in me
Im self taught, ive played for a while now.
I would recommend lessons in the beginning though, Get proper technique and reduce the chances of getting "bad habbits"
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
No, like it is humanly impossible to do things without the help of your mommy of friends. You should not even get a guitar.

Seriously though, get some books and look around on UG for lessons. Try and find a teacher in your area, they will help you learn the basics quicker than you learning alone. Also, remember to count and stay in time while you play guitar, if you don't, you will regret it later on.
Skip the username, call me Billy
I taught myself how to play the piano, the guitar, a bit of bass guitar, and violin/viola/cello.

Er..not impossible.
KatehMonster
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Dude, if you were a lesbian asking out another lesbian in a man forum we would be going crazy too.
Quote by zerosystem
just because you're a girl and you get more pussy than me doesn't give you the right to brag.
I started off with piano lessons, then when I decided to take up guitar, all the theory and stuff really helped me out. I also had a little kids beginners chord book. I started to figure out, on my own, what note every fret was, all the patterns across the fretboard (like how every 7th fret is the octave of the string above it, except the B string, which is the 8th fret... For example, 7th fret on A string is an E, but 8th fret on B string is a G). Then, to learn about different playing styles, different scales, how to build speed, etc. etc., I came to UG.

Not to have a big head or anything, I'm pretty good now. I could be better, don't get me wrong, I can't speed pick, or play very fast at all (although playing really fast doesn't really suit my taste), I could be a little better at songwriting, but hopefully I'll be able to pick those up later.
i taught myself acoustic with the help of a chord chart poster and tabs from UG. transitioned over to electric 2 years ago and everything turned out fine. i think it's possible
Quote by brandon369852
lolworthy- classicrockboy WIN of thread.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera
Check out my songs for it

Currently e-single. Hit me up ladies
Quote by classicrockboy
i taught myself acoustic with the help of a chord chart poster and tabs from UG. transitioned over to electric 2 years ago and everything turned out fine. i think it's possible

I did the same thing but started about ten years ago. I've had to correct some bad habits i've picked up off the internet, here and there, so you have to be careful but most sites have great info, first and foremost this one.

UG and great advice from a lot of it's users on some of the other forums can be credited with my learning guitar and getting quite good at it too, imho.

Even Tom Hess, but especially Zguitarist (sp?). Go to lessons.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Easily possible, I did it, you should be able to also

in a way its actually better teachin yourself than getting taught, because you learn the way you feel comfortable and youre not getting told how to play your guitar and bullcrap like that which is a major turnoff
Quote by Ikey
im no fred flintstone but i can sure make the bed rock

MY GEAR!

Epiphone Futura Custom EX
Randall RG75DG3 Combo Amp
MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
Quote by Blueflame55
Not if you have an IQ low enough to ask a question like this.

Inexperience does not make an individual stupid. Arrogant answers like yours do tend to point in that direction though.

You'll be ok kid. As long as you're having fun with it nothing else matters.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Sure it is.
Its easier and more fun to learn if you can find people who are better than you to jam with though.
Quote by ratracekid111
hell yeah!! I'm living proof!!! 'cept i still suck

This.

Yeah it's possible. One thing to make you better is when you jam with other people. I got so much better when I did.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I'm self taught. And I would definitely consider myself a good guitarist. It's possible. After I had been playing for a while I took some lessons to learn to finger pick like a mo-fo, but I was already a seasoned guitar player by that time.
Quote by slipknot5678
I've been teaching myself for a year. So far, I only know basic chords, I can't read music, I can only play simple songs (the hardest being songs like Critcal Acclaim by A7X, Master of Puppets (excluding the solo), etc.).

You will want to take guitar lessons, unless you want to be a peice of shit like me. I can't even bend four strings at once for over 5 seconds. And the only guitar I have is a no name classical, and I hate nylon strings and I suck at using them, so I suck even worse.

Again with the self-deprecation. I doubt you're even half as bad as you think you are.
dude seriously your on UG
go to the lessons section and find things for beginning guitarists

with the vast pages of free knowledge out there you can learn fast and easy
without taking years to do it yourself
Gear so far:
Dean Vendetta XMT
Roland Microcube

Infiltrate the system and rot it from the inside-out.
It's definitely possible, though it is faster with a teacher to guide you, or even someone you know who plays guitar. But that shouldn't stop you from learning by yourself!
cat
Quote by Canseqo
No.
It's Impossible,
No One Has Ever Done It Before.

but then there was ME!
bwahaha
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Google justin guitar. Best way for a beginner to learn. Bester way is to get a teacher. But for self-taught beginner, that site is great.

EDIT: Topdoginuk on youtube does some basic music theory if you wanted to start that as well TS
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Last edited by rock.freak667 at Dec 20, 2009,
Page 1 of 3