I have no problem with playing arpeggios that involve using fingers in different positions. However, when it comes to arpeggios that involve using one finger to barre more than one string, I tend to have some problems.

I tense up and it throws off my motion when I'm doing these 'barred' notes. Are there any exercises or techniques to get the hang of this?
All I can really suggest is to practice untill you get it. Maybe find a song that uses one of them and learn how to play it
Practice at about 1 note per second with absolutely no tension. Gradually (and I mean gradually) speed up to the desired tempo. You don't barre the finger - you roll it; this mutes the previous string (the one you rolled from) and sounds out next one (the one you rolled to). Much easier than barring and it's also the correct way to do things.
Isolate the problem. There's no point in running through a full arpeggio if only one aspect of it is troubling you.

As Geldin said, the correct technique is roll your finger across strings, so that there is no note-bleed (only one note is sounded at a time). If the arpeggio consists of a roll on the 14th fret, D and G strings, as in a standard 5 string A minor shape, for example, you'd position your finger (ring in this case) in way so that the tip frets the lower string, whilst the pad gently ''hovers'' over the higher string. Then, it's all about working on a rocking motion (performed by the finger, and only very subtly from the wrist) to allow your finger tip to fret the lower string, and your pad to fret the higher string successively (your finger tip should at this time be lightly touching the lower string, to prevent excess string noise). Alternate between fretting both notes using this motion, and be sure to do so by fretting lightly, not tensing, and sounding only one note at a time. Just stay relaxed - both physically and mentally - and you'll begin to get the hang of it.

It's a good idea to practice this technique with all your fingers, to ensure that the technique is completely covered for any practical use, including larger string skipping runs.
Last edited by juckfush at Dec 20, 2009,