hi,
i've been having trouble lately. whenever i want to write a song i have trouble moving it on from one section to the next. what i mean is whenever i have a singular idea or a riff i dont know how to write another part to move from that riff to create my song, i end up with that singular riff and nothing else. but i want to write more progressive stuff. which is another problem where i try to create things to use in the song but i dont know how to create sections in between the sections i have that don't connect.

are there any tips you guys have that could help me out. its really starting to get to me that i can't write a complete song because i get stuck in the middle of nowhere, figuritivly speaking of course.

thank you to anyone who helps me out

also im trying to merge genres, mainly blues, rock, ska,
kind of write stuff inthe vain of progressive
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Quote by gatechballer
U just made this exact thread like 10 minutes ago

It was moved/reported

...by me
Quote by gatechballer
U just made this exact thread like 10 minutes ago

i deleted it, i'm a good poster, mutmoo reported it, thus i deleted it so that there would be less flooding in the wrong forum.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
anyway on topic.
this isn't really an issue i have as i find that when i write a song, a certain riff or idea will set me in the right direction for the rest of the song. In my experience i am yet to find someone who succesfuly makes songs by writing a whole bunch of riffs and putting them together. write a riff sure, but if the riff isn't inspiring you to write a song, forget about it. Maybe you'll come back to it later and it will set something off.
The best thing to do is go to a songwriters forum. They don't worry so much about spelling and reporting you or whatever it is that's going on. So far this week, I have been reported twice for something. Everytime I get a good post going, something gets reported for some reason. No other forums that I have ever been on does this kind of thing. Go to a songwriters forum and you will get some help. I have helped a lot of people on this forum with mods, recording advise, and other things, but they have gone haywire with this reporting thing.
I used to have that problem, it goes pretty deep into your psyche and will take a few weeks to break. All I can tell you is to try and think about what could be a logical following riff. Progressive is a hard way to write since there really isn't a set formula for it. Youre gonna have to change everything about the way you perceive music in order to break the verse chorus verse method. Try learning some new riffs, preferably ones just above your skill level, and just dabble in some advanced techniques. And it goes without saying but try to devote a chunk of your practice time solely to sketching out songs, you'd be amazed at how little you do when you're not working on it. And you can't sit down with the expectation of making a sweet ass riff, it builds subconscious tension that slowly turns into frustration as the notes go past but you're slowly losing focus wondering why you haven't come up with anything good yet. Finally, it takes a real focus to write, riffs come easy but composing a set of them to emphasize the strengths and weaknesses of what came before and what comes after while never leaving the present. The point of all this typing was to say practice, but you already knew that.

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
that is actually what ive been doing a little bit in the beginning of your post. but you put it into perspective. that really makes me think about it differently thanks
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
You need to focus on the underlying chord progression of the song, whether it's rhythm based or riff based......................and that will lead you into the next section of the song.

If you haven't developed a basic chord progression (road map), then that's probably your problem. If you're just trying to piece together random riffs.........you'll have a hard time coming up with something that flows well.
Quote by Afterhours
You need to focus on the underlying chord progression of the song, whether it's rhythm based or riff based......................and that will lead you into the next section of the song.

If you haven't developed a basic chord progression (road map), then that's probably your problem. If you're just trying to piece together random riffs.........you'll have a hard time coming up with something that flows well.

and this i can understand however i am unsure how to create the chord proggression for the section i currently have, and the reason this is is because it uses a pedal tone in the sense that i have my open string (C#) playing after every two notes. which i would believe would mean its a C# chord but because of the other notes i think it would sound dissonant to a point i would not want. also im in C# minor as the notes with a raised 7th in the 4th measure, so im playing in both normal and harmonic minor. so if you could help me more it would be appreciated
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Open string pedal tone in C#? I take it you're in an Alternative tuning............what tuning are you using? I'm not sure what you mean by raised 7th.

The only difference between the Natural Minor and the Harmonic Minor it that in the Natural Minor uses a flatted 7th and the Harmonic Minor uses a 7th.
im in C# standard tuning (1 1/2 steps below standard), and i'm in C# minor (C# major with the 3, 6, and 7 lowerd a half step) and i raise the 7th back up in certain measures a half step to get the harmonic minor scale.
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724